Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Do I have a faulty camera?

Cheers Allan. Coming to to realise this is the case. Was actually hoping my camera was faulty but now think I expected too much.
But at £2500 I suppose one would!
The machine is great but looks like the camera doesnt match the machine.
In the back of my mind I was allways a bit worried that I couldn't find many videos of close up work.
As I say, got caught in the hype.
Will try to work round it and if cant maybe a bargain V2 on ebay soon.

Cheers Allan. Coming to to realise this is the case. Was actually hoping my camera was faulty but now think I expected too much.
But at £2500 I suppose one would!
The machine is great but looks like the camera doesnt match the machine.
In the back of my mind I was allways a bit worried that I couldn't find many videos of close up work.
As I say, got caught in the hype.
Will try to work round it and if cant maybe a bargain V2 on ebay soon.
No Nigel. I use mine close up in my work. Theres nothing wrong with the camera but there is something wrong with yours. Just take it back.

I was In Malham cove yesterday with an x3 and x5 - ****... I would have liked to have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks everone for all your help. It has all been really appreciated.
I bought the V2 from a UK company last month so will get in touch with them and see if they will swop the camera.
Hopefully that will resolve it.
Thank goodness for the forum. Wouldnt have had a clue what to do.
Will let you know the outcome.
Cheers.

Many thanks everone for all your help. It has all been really appreciated.
I bought the V2 from a UK company last month so will get in touch with them and see if they will swop the camera.
Hopefully that will resolve it.
Thank goodness for the forum. Wouldnt have had a clue what to do.
Will let you know the outcome.
Cheers.
Swapping the camera out will do you no good. The problem lies in the digital sensors.
Only a couple people mentioned "Moire and Aliasing". That is the problem you are seeing in the horizontal beams. Its a symptom of putting a small semsor and low res in front of patterns like brick, and thin lines like in the wood. A lot of videographers will tell interviewees not to wear stripped shirts cuz they're camera will Moire like crazy. if you read up on Moire, you will see that it can be managed better with higher resolutions. I know your laptop can't handle 4k, but downlod VLC player for playback and at least shoot the same scene in 4k at 24fps. Shutter 1/50 and iso to whatever balances your exposure. You will see less of Moiring because 4k means more or less twice the data between the lines in the wood, defining them better and leaving less of a visual waving effect. There is some interesting info on Moire on youtube and it's important to know about for Real Estate shoots as it may save you time choosing the best place to feature, with the least amount of moire potential.

Thanks so much for your message. I will give that a go but did do an aerial video of the caravan park in 4k and the tiles of the caravans were jumping around like a mad thing.
Just wondering how the property/real estate guys get round the moire on the roof tiles. Or are they using a different camera such as the x5? Correct me if I am wrong but is it the case that moire cannot be removed in post.
If that is true then anyone with an x3 is really limited on what one shoots with regards to buildings etc.

Thanks so much for your message. I will give that a go but did do an aerial video of the caravan park in 4k and the tiles of the caravans were jumping around like a mad thing.
Just wondering how the property/real estate guys get round the moire on the roof tiles. Or are they using a different camera such as the x5? Correct me if I am wrong but is it the case that moire cannot be removed in post.
If that is true then anyone with an x3 is really limited on what one shoots with regards to buildings etc.
Moire is one of those pesky biproducts of digital video and is only reduced in camera with expensive components like global shutters, RAW video recording, high bit rates and codecs like ProRes. It can be reduced, but is pretty much unavoidable. Even if it is minor in the raw 4k footage, someone could still watch it scaled down at 720 and the lines are now even closer so moire can appear out of the blue just by frame size alone for the end viewer. Fortunalty there is a certain acceptance that seems to allow for this to happen in commercial video and some folks just dont really notice it. Me, I'm amazed this stuff passes as proffessional.

One more thought, what size frame are you watching your footage on? Do you have a full HD monitor? Just wanna make sure your not watching them back on a lower res monitor.

Yes I completely understand what you are saying. See so much stuff out there comercially with moire all over the place and I suppose we just accept it. Trouble is I cant accept all that in my footage but do understand that you get what you pay for.
Only thing is I really did think that the inspire was the modern miracle in aerial photography. I suspect that may be my falldown.
Cheers for your message. Lap top is 1080 but maybe my footage would look better on a 1960s tv set!

Yes I completely understand what you are saying. See so much stuff out there comercially with moire all over the place and I suppose we just accept it. Trouble is I cant accept all that in my footage but do understand that you get what you pay for.
Only thing is I really did think that the inspire was the modern miracle in aerial photography. I suspect that may be my falldown.
Cheers for your message. Lap top is 1080 but maybe my footage would look better on a 1960s tv set!
The X3 is not a great camera but......... It shouldn't be that bad. Are you able to post a link to the raw untouched footage of that clip?
I will take a look at it. I need the file that came straight off the MicroSD card.

Will do Mr Editor. Appreciate your help.
All , please dont get me wrong. The Inspire is a fantastic machine and has many applications but unfortunatly for me its not working.
The question is ( and really havnt got a diffinative answer ) -
Is my camera faulty or is it not up to shooting video of roof tiles, verticle and horizontal lines close together.?
What I know is that I have tried everything and I cannot get rid of the moire .
If the X3 is not capable of shooting professional quality footage for my type of needs (close up buildings video footage) then it needs highlighting and stops idiots like me wasting a lot of money on a tool that doesnt do the job.
However, I still keep praying that my camera is faulty and thus restoring all hope

Will do Mr Editor. Appreciate your help.
All , please dont get me wrong. The Inspire is a fantastic machine and has many applications but unfortunatly for me its not working.
The question is ( and really havnt got a diffinative answer ) -
Is my camera faulty or is it not up to shooting video of roof tiles, verticle and horizontal lines close together.?
What I know is that I have tried everything and I cannot get rid of the moire .
If the X3 is not capable of shooting professional quality footage for my type of needs (close up buildings video footage) then it needs highlighting and stops idiots like me wasting a lot of money on a tool that doesnt do the job.
However, I still keep praying that my camera is faulty and thus restoring all hope
Im sorry but after 20 years as a pro camera operator I have never seen moire so bad. It seems you are happy to go on and on knocking the camera but anyone can see its not right. I can post footage taken over the last 20 years to show you that it is not how the camera works., Why are you scared to take it back? What is the answer you want to hear? You feel the millions of drones already sold are all like yours? Of course not. Take it back or throw it in the bin. Simple choice.

Cheers Dennis.
I am in a quandary because I am getting so many different opinions. The supplier says the camera isnt faulty so I suspect I will have a battle exchanging it anyway but if they did then that would resolve the issue once and for all. Could well be the camera does end up in the bin.
Think I will take your advise now and shut up on the subject.
Thanks everyone for all your help and advise .

Cheers Dennis.
I am in a quandary because I am getting so many different opinions. The supplier says the camera isnt faulty so I suspect I will have a battle exchanging it anyway but if they did then that would resolve the issue once and for all. Could well be the camera does end up in the bin.
Think I will take your advise now and shut up on the subject.
Thanks everyone for all your help and advise .
Him Nigel,
] I personally dont understand the problem. Many of us are using these cams for our work. I do. I use mine to shoot tv commercials and video. I have no problem with it at all. I have never seen any footage as bad as yours on any camera I have used over the last 20 years and I have had many. If you cant take it back then why not? It is faulty. Do as others have suggested and borrow one off someone to try. then throw it in the bin and buy another.

Nigel,
I may have a cunning plan.
If you're interested, message me on FB. id=100004394084755

Thank you Allan it is much appreciated but I am getting out of this thread .
I really do appreciate everyone's input but unfortunatly I am not much wiser than my first post. Only way this will be resolved is if my suppier gives me a replacement camera then i can repicate the footage and it can be resolved once and for all.
If mu

Thanks Allan I do appreciate your help but getting out of the discussion as no wiser than when I started.
So many different opinions on this. It will only be resolved if my supplier swaps the camera and I replicate the footage.
Then I will know if the X3 is up to the job of difficult close up building footage.!
That is it. I am out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla