Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Do you guys break-in your Lipos? Here's how...

Why is this break in process not recommended by DJI?
I'm assuming that this video is accurate and this is what we should be doing? (thanks for the video)

What the heck?
Because there is absolutely no evidence that this has any beneficial effect. It's just an "it can't hurt" thing that some people like to do, so as the manufacturer there's no legitimate reason to confuse every customer with it.

Over the past years I've tried a few times to do it on some batteries and not on others of the same batch, and never saw a difference.

That was definitely a thing for NiCD and NIMH batteries though.

Reactions: skylabimaging
You do not need to do this for Lipo's. The only thing you should do with lipo's is never run them lower than 20% and only charge them to 4.10V per cell. Then they will last about 5%-10% longer.

DJI tells us to drain the battery to 5% or lower and then recharge them at regular intervals. You are saying never run them lower than 20%? Not sure what I should be doing with these batteries? I want to follow best practices, especially hearing about the rapid loss of charge in the air.

I think the rapid loss is only if you start a flight with 30-40% it will be fine the first few minutes and then maybe go from 30- 10% in less than a minute . Like it's been said just start off with 100% charge if you don't want to take a chance.

Think of it like the fuel in your car from a full tank to half takes a certain while , but from half to empty goes a lot quicker.

The trouble I have when I see videos like this, is the sudden panic people get over it. Like, ****, I didn't do this so my batteries are screwed up!! But the simple truth is, they probably are fine. First off, I have to wonder where this advice for the 10x10 process originated. Is it based on any scientific fact? Comparing it to breaking in a new car is like comparing apples to oranges. There is no correlation at all. I have been running my Lipos for over a year with no issues at all. I always run them down to under 20%. Sometimes as low as 10% before shutting down. At 30%, I think about coming closer to home, but I continue to fly paying more attention to the remaining battery life as I do so. I charge them to the 50% mark when I get home. The night before my next days flight, I charge them to 100%. I never did a break-in, and don't plan it in the future either. I do however, follow DJIs procedures for doing the refresh. So, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But heck, that's just my opinion.

The trouble I have when I see videos like this, is the sudden panic people get over it. Like, ****, I didn't do this so my batteries are screwed up!! But the simple truth is, they probably are fine. First off, I have to wonder where this advice for the 10x10 process originated. Is it based on any scientific fact? Comparing it to breaking in a new car is like comparing apples to oranges. There is no correlation at all. I have been running my Lipos for over a year with no issues at all. I always run them down to under 20%. Sometimes as low as 10% before shutting down. At 30%, I think about coming closer to home, but I continue to fly paying more attention to the remaining battery life as I do so. I charge them to the 50% mark when I get home. The night before my next days flight, I charge them to 100%. I never did a break-in, and don't plan it in the future either. I do however, follow DJIs procedures for doing the refresh. So, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But heck, that's just my opinion.
Where did you get an Inspire in October 2014 to be running your batteries for over a year? The official statement re the Inspire was only November 13th 2014.
I thought I got one quickly but you beat me by months!!! :p

This battery discussion wouldn't be had if DJI would of gave us a battery charger with a maintenance cycle. When you spend 3k for a craft what's the added cost for this feature.

Why can't we get a multi charger that will charge from P2 V+ to later? This is the one thing that annoys me about this product. Rant over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get an Inspire in October 2014 to be running your batteries for over a year? The official statement re the Inspire was only November 13th 2014.
I thought I got one quickly but you beat me by months!!! :p

I was flying the Phantom long before I got the Inspire. They may be different battery configurations between the 2 aircraft, but they are both Lipos. Both with the same issues discussed in this post.

What I would like to see is a way to plug in the inspire (A/C) when were not flying say getting familiar with the go app and or flight simulator this would be nice because then we could save these expensive batteries just for flying.

Reactions: Ezookiel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah