Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does radar affect Inspire1 communications?

Reaction score
Website
www.timeflize.co.uk
Might sound like a silly question - but - the reason for asking is that I may well end up being asked to work in a port environment. Ok so far - but the ships at quayside will likely all be running radar - and I'm likely to be rather close (50m) and out over the water.

Does the output from ships radar (and potentially output from shore based harbourmaster radar) actively affect the comms between my Inspire and its controller - or for that matter, the iPad that I use??

Thanks in advance!
Mick

Might sound like a silly question - but - the reason for asking is that I may well end up being asked to work in a port environment. Ok so far - but the ships at quayside will likely all be running radar - and I'm likely to be rather close (50m) and out over the water.

Does the output from ships radar (and potentially output from shore based harbourmaster radar) actively affect the comms between my Inspire and its controller - or for that matter, the iPad that I use??

Thanks in advance!
Mick
Never a silly question. First, it would be unusual for ships to be using their radars on the quayside for health and safety reasons. They would be more hazardous to people than your drone. Secondly, any X band radar operate on a much higher frequency (8-12 GHz) than the 2.4GHz used by the Inspire. However, S band radar and satellite comms operate at 2-4 Ghz so could cause problems if operating. You are likely to find that there will be wifi in use on board and in the harbour area and that could present a greater problem. It would be advisable to use a portable Frequency Analyser to coperating any interference in the 2.4GHz band.

Scotflieger - that's very helpful - many thanks. I'll look into the RF frequency analyser. The other 'big' obstacle will be the ship to shore cranes - reputedly the largest on the planet!

Scotflieger - that's very helpful - many thanks. I'll look into the RF frequency analyser. The other 'big' obstacle will be the ship to shore cranes - reputedly the largest on the planet!
I use the RF Explorer 24G. If you are operating around cranes, bear in mind that you could lose signal connection with your RC. You need to make sure that the automatic response to this is correct. You may not want the aircraft to use the default RTH (with user set height) but may wish to switch to Hover on loss of signal so that you can reposition to regain control. You don't want it climbing or flying into these structures.

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool