Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Don't get it wet!

Reaction score
Hi Pilots a head’s up If you get your Bird wet in anyway, I have just finished a re-build of an I1

I got from e-bay it had been in a crash and required a few parts replacing, the seller did not say how the craft came to grief but I have my suspicions it got wet somehow!

When I striped down one of the broken feet there was rust and corrosion inside on the ESC’s chip sets and capacitors also retaining screws were very rusty and inside the arms .I had to replace 3 ESC’s that were corroding.

So what I think has happened, it was flown in the rain and had water sucked in through motor onto the ESC’s and it came down or it crashed from pilot error and came down in water and was left wet

Or most probably it was flown on a Beach and sucked in salt water spray as there appeared to be salt and sand in the legs.

So be warned the ESC’s appear to have no protection at all from any moisture and sit right under the motors where water can be sucked in very easily DJI PLEASE TAKE NOTE the ESC’s could be coated with something to protect them and give you a sporting chance if you get court out in the rain.

Attachments

• P1000049.JPG
    P1000049.JPG
    865.2 KB · Views: 166
  • P1000048.JPG
    P1000048.JPG
    894.5 KB · Views: 153
  • P1000051.JPG
    P1000051.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 152
  • P1000054.JPG
    P1000054.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 149
You are probably right! these ESC's need to have some sort of protection, at the moment they have nothing! as far as I can see.
Even cheap ESC's have some heat shrink on them.

Hi all, has anyone tried Q30 protective film spray on their ESCs yet?
I've got some but was wondering if anyone has tried it, or something similar to protect the electronics!

Hi all, has anyone tried Q30 protective film spray on their ESCs yet?
I've got some but was wondering if anyone has tried it, or something similar to protect the electronics!

i am planing to treat my I1 with corrosion block. there are slowly companies coming up that use nanotech to waterproof multirotors and other things. i did treat my battery powered drill and it works under water. - that was with arussian version that does the same as corrosion block. can't remember my thread name though.
in Cali there is a company that waterproofs phones and tablets and dslr pros did a phantom with them. with the technology they use you can not see, smell or feel the nano protection they use.
liquipel is their name. another company in alabama called oneplustech (i think) specially go for waterproofing drones of all kind. for i think 300 buck you send it in and they treat it and send it back. downside of it is they warrant only 15 days after treatment. if they would think like Ralph and stand for it they would do much more $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply, the Nano tech coating sounds a good Idea, I think if you do any flying near a Beach or any salt water you could lose your bird
the next time you fly and wonder what went wrong!
thanks
Dave

Hi, thanks for the reply, the Nano tech coating sounds a good Idea, I think if you do any flying near a Beach or any salt water you could lose your bird
the next time you fly and wonder what went wrong!
thanks
Dave

the things i mentioned are blocking or preventing and blocking / stopping corrosion of any kind. the liquipell - youtube it with dslr pros - and you will see what they are doing. keeping in mind that is only a promotion and actually intended for protection and not for what they are doing. i want to treat my bird for that reason because i am flying over water at times and if anything happens i know i just have to get out of the water, dry it and fly on. :)
when you live in the states the possibilyties are bigger than here in europe. i am in the process to getting a distributor for one of the companies dealing with nanocoating.

Hi Thanks for the reply, I've decided to strip the heat shrink off an ESC on my ZMR 250 and coat it with this Q30 and see if it works OK
it's going to be cheaper if it doesn't work!!

Reactions: Phatzo
Hi I've coated the zmr esc with Q30 (3 coats) and drenched it in water, it just rolls off! now all I have to do is fly it! to see if it holds up .
careful with putting on coats on pcb's or electronics that can heat up.

the things i mentioned are blocking or preventing and blocking / stopping corrosion of any kind. the liquipell - youtube it with dslr pros - and you will see what they are doing. keeping in mind that is only a promotion and actually intended for protection and not for what they are doing. i want to treat my bird for that reason because i am flying over water at times and if anything happens i know i just have to get out of the water, dry it and fly on. :)
when you live in the states the possibilyties are bigger than here in europe. i am in the process to getting a distributor for one of the companies dealing with nanocoating.

They treat the camera as well? Interesting. It would be awesome to fly while it's snowing.

They treat the camera as well? Interesting. It would be awesome to fly while it's snowing.
n't or should not use it on video equptment - i am guessing but i think they are looking at film material - soft membrains, keyboards and last LCD 's.
i did treat an old phone and the lcd got a bit of it and it now has stains but the phone is usable and fully working.
i also have to mention i accedently kind of soaked it instead of treat it :) lol as the hand pump bottle doeas not spray out a mist rather a jet stream and so of course to much got on. for stuff like phones and tablets or the x3/5 i would recommend sending it it prior to checking with liquipel to have it treated as their technology is invisible as they vaporize their liquid and use it in a vacuum chamber to apply it. the super thin coat layer is cool but does really only protect and you have to be carefull on where and how much in which way and where it will drool when you applying it. i am using a piercing tip as it has a metal and a canul part (thin plastic straw kind- and i can apply drop by drop where i need it. needless to say or mention that corrosion block is better for metal on metal, contact and electronics, pcb, and similar units to use as it lubricates and prevents and blocks corrosion. i will have a try on my first unit beeing very carful with the camera and sensor and surroundings so it won't creep in or on to it. i will have to open everything meaning the FC in the front, servos, ESC have to layed free to be treated, bearings, all cables and connectors etc... will be a day or more to do but i will have a "waterproof" / resistant unit at the end. - at least that is the plan.

to answer your Q, i would not use it on the four mentioned parts or try to avoid big amount of contact. the write on the bottle that it contains rwa oil and petrolium.
i will check and post a pic or the bottle. it is a canadian company and they also have a non toxic version called Q50 i think or something similar...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456095915.740270.jpg

edit: let me find the older website i was sent for more information i was asking for. there is more explenation on there. tomorrow.

Hi All, the ZMR 250 with coated ESC's works fine, no over heating. So I will have to bite the bullet and coat one of the ESC's on the Inspire
and give it a go! when it stops raining in the UK!

Attachments

• P1000085.JPG
    P1000085.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
  • P1000086.JPG
    P1000086.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 23
Those original pictures definitely look like the bird crashed on a beach...it looks more like sand particles and salt corrosion. Not sure fresh water would do that much. I have thought about water damage, though, especially flying in our humid North Carolina summers. Doubt I'll try flying in the rain..... ;-)

Hi All, the ZMR 250 with coated ESC's works fine, no over heating. So I will have to bite the bullet and coat one of the ESC's on the Inspire
and give it a go! when it stops raining in the UK!
did you take the sticker off while applying q30? make sure to have everywhere (i know i am not telling you new stuff just want to be nice and make Ou aware of something you might have over looked or not thought of at first)
no offense meant.

Hi all, I've just found this! Is this ESC cover on new I1's or the luck of the draw? coz I ain't got none on mine!!

during closeup phonto shooting under the microscope i carefully had to remove it a bit prior to shooting :)
answer: yes i also have them asuming on all four. mine is a last year first gen version "D"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide