Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Downgrade firmware?

I've been clinging to 1.08.xx. I'm using some apps that are requesting the latest firmware. I'm tempted to upgrade to 1.10 IF it is stable. I think I've given DJI enough time to work through any bugs 1.10 might have.

Are you having problems with 1.10.xx? Is that why you want to downgrade?

No all my cameras are working fine my xtra remote is fine too, have not taking her for a long flight which i will do tomorrow planning on do some mapping and take some pics of tower and roofs to put on my website, can post results tomorrow if you want to wait
Mar

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I've been clinging to 1.08.xx. I'm using some apps that are requesting the latest firmware. I'm tempted to upgrade to 1.10 IF it is stable. I think I've given DJI enough time to work through any bugs 1.10 might have.

Are you having problems with 1.10.xx? Is that why you want to downgrade?

Donnie, you mention that you're using apps that request the latest fw. Do you happen to be running the latest version of Autopilot (3.8)??
I am also clinging to 1.08, but am wondering if it is going to be safe to update to the latest Autopilot whilst keeping fw 1.08...

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Donnie, you mention that you're using apps that request the latest fw. Do you happen to be running the latest version of Autopilot (3.8)??
I am also clinging to 1.08, but am wondering if it is going to be safe to update to the latest Autopilot whilst keeping fw 1.08...

Yes, sounds like you and I are in the same, exact boat. I'm using Autopiloto 3.8 and a couple times it has asked for the latest firmware. I've had some Autopilot issues that I am tempted to blame on the outdated firmware, but further research has taken me down another path.

For 1, I'm using an iPad Air 1. Because Autopilot doesn't use the DJI SDK, the iPad essentially becomes the flight controller. This means 2 things:

1) You always have to be connected to the bird.
2) The iPad has to do the Flight Control heavy lifting.

What I have since learned is that the iPad 1 has a less powerful CPU from the Air 2 or Air Pro. And though my flights are basic (4 waypoints and 4 focus triggers), at times, the iPad seems to "studder" and even lock up. This actually happened with the DJI Ground Station app, too.

The reason for my Air 1 choice was:

1) The screen is brighter than the Air 2.
2) The battery lasts longer than the Air 2.
3) It has plenty of processor power for the DJI Go app.

At the time, I had no idea I would be doing automated flights. And I also had no idea that the Air 1 would be handling much of the processing during these flights.

So I have navigated away from blaming firmware, and am pretty sure my lock-up and bug issues are due to shortcomings of the Air 1. To date, these bugs have occurred when I try to modify my flight plan DURING flight. As long as I disengage the app, I can make adjustments, and then re-engage without trouble. But I've also noticed issues with the DJI Ground Station app. Again, I blame the CPU of the Air 1.

I also find that occasionally rebooting my Air 1 helps.

Regarding FW updates, I see nothing in DJI's release notes to indicate any "improvements" or bug fixes past FW 1.08.xx. FW 1.09 simply expanded NFZ's. And FW 1.10 simply removed closed airports from the NFZ database. I think Autopilot is written in a way that it just automatically knows the last FW available, and automatically complains if you don't have the latest.

Conclusion: I'm going to stick with FW 1.08.xx, and am going to instead look into an Air 2 or an Air pro.

D

Yes, sounds like you and I are in the same, exact boat. I'm using Autopiloto 3.8 and a couple times it has asked for the latest firmware. I've had some Autopilot issues that I am tempted to blame on the outdated firmware, but further research has taken me down another path.

For 1, I'm using an iPad Air 1. Because Autopilot doesn't use the DJI SDK, the iPad essentially becomes the flight controller. This means 2 things:

1) You always have to be connected to the bird.
2) The iPad has to do the Flight Control heavy lifting.

What I have since learned is that the iPad 1 has a less powerful CPU from the Air 2 or Air Pro. And though my flights are basic (4 waypoints and 4 focus triggers), at times, the iPad seems to "studder" and even lock up. This actually happened with the DJI Ground Station app, too.

The reason for my Air 1 choice was:

1) The screen is brighter than the Air 2.
2) The battery lasts longer than the Air 2.
3) It has plenty of processor power for the DJI Go app.

At the time, I had no idea I would be doing automated flights. And I also had no idea that the Air 1 would be handling much of the processing during these flights.

So I have navigated away from blaming firmware, and am pretty sure my lock-up and bug issues are due to shortcomings of the Air 1. To date, these bugs have occurred when I try to modify my flight plan DURING flight. As long as I disengage the app, I can make adjustments, and then re-engage without trouble. But I've also noticed issues with the DJI Ground Station app. Again, I blame the CPU of the Air 1.

I also find that occasionally rebooting my Air 1 helps.

Regarding FW updates, I see nothing in DJI's release notes to indicate any "improvements" or bug fixes past FW 1.08.xx. FW 1.09 simply expanded NFZ's. And FW 1.10 simply removed closed airports from the NFZ database. I think Autopilot is written in a way that it just automatically knows the last FW available, and automatically complains if you don't have the latest.

Conclusion: I'm going to stick with FW 1.08.xx, and am going to instead look into an Air 2 or an Air pro.

D

Ah, yes. Very similar situations. I am not prepared to update the firmware on my Inspire, but would like to update to Autopilot occasionally as they tend to implement fixes and new useful stuff frequently and efficiently (I'm on 3.7).

I have been flying Autopilot on an iPad Pro and have not had any lock ups or unusual behaviour, however I have not attempted to change a plan whilst the aircraft is engaged, so can't confirm that the Air 1 is your issue, also the fact that I am running a version of Autopilot previous to yours could make a difference... maybe?
I can tell you that the pro does not lag what so ever when planning missions and executing them.

Ah, yes. Very similar situations. I am not prepared to update the firmware on my Inspire, but would like to update to Autopilot occasionally as they tend to implement fixes and new useful stuff frequently and efficiently (I'm on 3.7).

I have been flying Autopilot on an iPad Pro and have not had any lock ups or unusual behaviour, however I have not attempted to change a plan whilst the aircraft is engaged, so can't confirm that the Air 1 is your issue, also the fact that I am running a version of Autopilot previous to yours could make a difference... maybe?
I can tell you that the pro does not lag what so ever when planning missions and executing them.

I'm running Autopilot 3.8. I just flew a mission and it seemed to work well. Regarding your iPad pro, it's probably twice as powerful as my Air 1. I may upgrade...we'll see.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALWAnna671