Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Dronebase, Skycatch, etc. - anyone willing to share their experience?

Hi guys, I am registered with Dronebase and have been offered a job in my area (SW CT), they were asking for stills and unedited video.

Kevin in CT

Hi SanCap, sadly I had to turn it down as the customer wanted 4K vids and my present machine does not do 4K.

Reactions: SanCap
I was just about ready to go for the I1 Pro dual controller package when..

1. DJI announced a big price drop on the I1 2.0
2. The FAA Part 107 thing came to my attention, I posted my feelings on the 107 situation in this thread:
USA - FAA Part 107

Here's some perspective,

The age of digital cameras changed the photography business considerably. For example, A single image that sell online with iStockphoto, now iStock by Getty Images has sold 150 copies and I have made $150 from it. The price of the image is $12 USD. I get $1 per picture or about 8% of the revenue. Service gathering groups like the drone groups listed above are virtually an identical business model used by Getty Images, iTunes, and any other content provider. They value their services at a premium while underbidding cheap pilot rates. They depend on quantity to become large enough to capture the market share and to be "The Place" for buyers to go for drone pilots and services. Value skewing is a common practice to creating a business model, value what you do as high and reduce the value of what you depend on, the bigger your business becomes, the more valuable your model becomes until it is the standard.

Stock Photo Example
Them = $1650, Their network
Me = $150, My camera, my image, my skills

Passed on the comments above I would avoid those groups altogether, or better accept jobs and then "No Show" to damage their credibility.

"Passed on the comments above I would avoid those groups altogether, or better accept jobs and then "No Show" to damage their credibility."

Wouldn't that also damage your credibility?

I have a job with them this week and will let you know how it turns out. This will be my first but have had a couple offers that I could not accept due to legal reasons.

I have now done 2 projects for DroneBase. Their shot lists are defined, their payment plan works well. There was some confusion on the first shoot location (on their end) but I got paid for both. I will work for them again if the opportunity come available.

Reactions: DStew
Has anyone had success with the Residential Pano jobs that fill their map? Specifically looking to see if anyone has gone out and shot a bunch of those and received payment on any of them? Looking for a dronebase good news story......

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Has anyone had success with the Residential Pano jobs that fill their map? Specifically looking to see if anyone has gone out and shot a bunch of those and received payment on any of them? Looking for a dronebase good news story......

Not residential, but I shot four commercial pano missions last weekend and was paid for two jobs within four hours of upload. I was then paid for the third about three days later. It's not a lot of cash, so look at the pano missions as "paid practice".

I'm knocking down a bunch of residential Pano's that are around me. The first was directly across the street from me so good practice, as you said, right out the garage door. I am going to knock down some Commercial Pano's and hope to have your same experience. Appreciate the info Talon Six!

Dronebase is super fast. Already got paid on what was my first Pano gig.
Also learned that Quil (who does their payments) is about to offer PayPal as a payment option for pilots. I'm impressed.

Residential which I gotta be honest and say I was doing the residential stuff just to practice for the commercial shots. I'm going to shoot 4 commercial missions later this week. Who knew?

Anyone had trouble uploading images to DroneBase? Seem like there's always a last one that takes forever...
Yes...as of late, pictures seem to be taking longer to process. A few times I had to delete all the pictures and upload them again.Good to know I'm not the only one.

And just in case anyone missed...Nick from Dronebase interview with Drone U
Pretty informative

Reactions: DStew
going to do a roof inspection mission pays only $35 ,only reason is so close to my house and need gas money :) and get my feet wet on the industry but with this prices is not worth to take an I1 out

going to do a roof inspection mission pays only $35 ,only reason is so close to my house and need gas money :) and get my feet wet on the industry but with this prices is not worth to take an I1 out
That's a question only you can answer. Every flight close to obstacles is a risk. What's the cost of your insurance? cost per mile, gas and depreciation? What's your time worth?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare