Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drones will have to be registered in UK safety clampdown (22/07 news)

Drones will have to be registered in UK safety clampdown

"Under the rules, owners of drones weighing more than 250g – heavier than many available on the high street – will have to register their details and demonstrate that they understand safety and privacy laws that affect their use."

Drones will have to be registered in UK safety clampdown
Good!
Long overdue IMO.
Unfortunately the government are involved so we probably won't see it this side of 2037 - they will have to have a think tank set up, then an independent study, then another one. Then decide it's too expensive. Then decide it does need to be done for safety reasons. Then there will be another election, then EASA will stick their beak in. Then we will leave the EU so they will have to undertake another independent inquiry. Then it will be 2030. Then UAV's will be old tech and it all starts all over again. :p
Joking aside (was I joking though?), registration and some training is not a bad thing.

Good!
Long overdue IMO.
Unfortunately the government are involved so we probably won't see it this side of 2037 - they will have to have a think tank set up, then an independent study, then another one. Then decide it's too expensive. Then decide it does need to be done for safety reasons. Then there will be another election, then EASA will stick their beak in. Then we will leave the EU so they will have to undertake another independent inquiry. Then it will be 2030. Then UAV's will be old tech and it all starts all over again. :p
Joking aside (was I joking though?), registration and some training is not a bad thing.

:D

EASA are already sticking their beak in as this is basically similar to what EASA discussed at their UAV forum meeting a few weeks back. I think the CAA have seen the way Europe is going and decided just to push on with it.

My biggest problems with registration are:

Costs - we'll end up being milked. It'll start low, but will rise by more than inflation once they realise they can make a profit through it. Easa were proposing a 3 year registration period as they think that's the lifespan of a typical drone... bet the DfT end up making it annual to milk the cow...

Registration of the user is OK, but not registration of the drone via serial/flight controller number as registration isn't forever - DJI equipment especially has a problem brewing in that if you send you equipment to them for repair, you often don't get the same aircraft back. Meaning a different serial number, different flight controller serial number etc etc. So, you'll have a big mess with people flying on other people's serial numbers etc. They'll need to provide a way to deregister and re-register serial numbers of bigger classes and at minimal to no cost! The alternative is lots of people will be getting their collars fingered for doing something they haven't because someone else has got a refurb'd drone from DJI which used to be registered to them! Be prepared for more Jackboots kicking in doors with dawn raids as they collar someone for something they forgot to deregister or threw away thinking it was busted.

Insurance - while it's a good thing, the Insewerants Co's will start milking the "consumers" too and costs will rise for everyone. Also, will it have to meet the wonderful 785/2004 standard (which EASA couldn't remember or quote!) and coverage for war etc? Finally, the greedy treasury will move it as they get a knock on 2nd slice of the pie as it rakes in it's 12% Insurance tax.

Model Aircraft - they won't like it, but the model flyers need to be forced in to this too. If Drones are being done, then they should too - they can't claim to be snow white and holier than drones as there have been several airprox reported between model aircraft & GA and Mil in the last year or two. They've flown near airports, at high altitude and so on, all the things drones are slammed for.

Finally, could we please lobby for a registration system for kids balloons, plastic bin bags and ET. Those pesky bin bags especially should be made to have ADB-S transmitters because they can get so high!

Oh, and bring back licenses and insurance for Dogs, Horses and Cyclists - they've caused more accidents to date than drones have.

We really don't need whinge at the EU for giving us useless red tape and hoops to jump through... the UK civil service is good at doing it itself!

Said it on this forum to a few people when they posted b@ll@cks after showboating dangerous/illegal flying...
Registration WILL happen due to people not packing their brain when flying and thinking "its my right to fly here/there/everywhere" yep this paragraph underlines "told you so!!"
Well done dont feel bad when you are getting pumped for all your hard earned cash! You caused it
Night night xxx

Great post NickU, and Editor. I registered and am certified with the Finnish authorities here. The class I attended was taught by one of the gents working with the EASA to draft commonsense regulations. He asked quite a bit about my I2 and the safety features and how about me flying BVLOS. I showed him via my iPad that I can easily see and control the drone (thanks for no screw ups DJI), and the RTH feature in case of a battery failure or some other unseen mishap that would force the drone to return or land. He wasn't aware of the safety features built in and the control features. He was quite impressed with all the I2 can do in regards to safety. My friend was also there for certification and he used a Mavic to also illustrate safety of flight, etc... The instructor went away with a better understanding of the kit and software features of the I2, the Mavic, BVLOS and DJI software. Hopefully this will find its way into the impending regulations that are coming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mb920questions