Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dual control

Reaction score
This may seem a stupid question but here goes...

When using dual remotes does the second remote communicate directly with the copter or does it communicate with the master remote so that commands sent to and images/data received by the slave remote all come through the master? I would think the latter but I don't know for sure. If so, would the comm be 802.11 wifi?

Brian

This may seem a stupid question but here goes...

When using dual remotes does the second remote communicate directly with the copter or does it communicate with the master remote so that commands sent to and images/data received by the slave remote all come through the master? I would think the latter but I don't know for sure. If so, would the comm be 802.11 wifi?

Brian
The slave remote gets direct video from the Inspire but all commands to control the camera etc are sent via a 5.8ghz link through the master. However, it is a proprietary encryption link and not standard WiFi.

The slave remote gets direct video from the Inspire but all commands to control the camera etc are sent via a 5.8ghz link through the master. However, it is a proprietary encryption link and not standard WiFi.

I can well imagine that link is encrypted -- it would be bad if it were not.

I am kind of surprised that the video comes directly from the bird but I guess since the bird is sending it anyway that reduces the remote-remote bandwidth requirements.

The reason I was asking is really about the mods one might consider to improve signal reliability. There are numerous range extenders out there and although they shouldn't be used to push beyond visual range it is possible in some environments that noise/interference could hamper communications so using a more directional antenna would be useful.

I've no intention of going with the elaborate mods that some here are doing but am planning to get one of the parabolic antenna reflectors such as:

Amazon.com: Bestmaple Foil Process Remote Controller FPV to Enhance the Board Extended Range Parabolic Antenna Signal Booster For DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1: Toys & Games

Again, this idea being to be a bit more directional to limit noise/interference. At present I have only one remote and I don't anticipate getting a a second one, but knowing how they work is useful if I decide to add one.

Brian

I have a couple sets of parabolic reflectors.. Haven't used them on the main TX but reading your post, I can't see any reason not to help out the always lacking video feed from the slave. Good idea

Will say, if you want to buy a parabolic set-up, this is a good set-up. The mirrors are one piece, they are properly shaped and come in a great zipper case so you won't bend the reflectors between uses. 29 bucks on eBay Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster fr DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 Windsurfer

I have a couple sets of parabolic reflectors.. Haven't used them on the main TX but reading your post, I can't see any reason not to help out the always lacking video feed from the slave. Good idea

Will say, if you want to buy a parabolic set-up, this is a good set-up. The mirrors are one piece, they are properly shaped and come in a great zipper case so you won't bend the reflectors between uses. 29 bucks on eBay Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster fr DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 Windsurfer

I don't plan on using a second RC anytime soon and do not have one at this time anyway. I was curious and was wondering if it would be necessary to do an antenna mod to the slave if I decided to get one.

I have ordered a parabolic reflector so no need to buy another.

Again, I'm not expecting much but if it limits interference that alone should improve reception. Any gain would also tend to improve reception so long as you're facing the right way and if you're keeping it in eyesight you better be facing the copter.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz