Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Editing Software

Reaction score
I see some pretty epic videos out there and I know most of the work is done in post. What do you find is the best editing software for video? I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'd still be looking for something with an easy learning curve. Right now I'm using the Inspire1 w/ the x3. Probably be upgrading to the x5 next month. Any help would be appreciated.

Everyone has their go to editing software, but the most user friendly seems to be FCPX. You are not going to learn it overnight, but it's a great step up from things like iMovie, or the like. Like anything else, it takes a lot of time and effort to do something better and better.. I look at stuff I did that I thought was good a year ago and think "thats complete rubbish".. Then again, there are some very talented people out there that really have a knack for it. I would really like to play guitar like Joe Satriani....but!... Im not Joe Satriani..............Here's a recipe for blueberry muffins....
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • Add all ingredients to list

• Prep

15 m
    • Cook

25 m
    • Ready In

40 m
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
    2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
    3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
    4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
I am literally bored out of my mind right now.

Last edited:
Everyone has their go to editing software, but the most user friendly seems to be FCPX. You are not going to learn it overnight, but it's a great step up from things like iMovie, or the like. Like anything else, it takes a lot of time and effort to do something better and better.. I look at stuff I did that I thought was good a year ago and think "thats complete rubbish".. Then again, there are some very talented people out there that really have a knack for it. I would really like to play guitar like Joe Satriani....but!... Im not Joe Satriani..............Here's a recipe for blueberry muffins....
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • Add all ingredients to list

• Prep

15 m
    • Cook

25 m
    • Ready In

40 m
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
    2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
    3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
    4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
I am literally bored out of my mind right now.
Best. Reply. Ever

Reactions: Highrpm955
Best. Reply. Ever
BTW... If you have not tried any editing software, I would invest in that first before getting an X5. Use your X3 for the learning curve, as you will just double your frustrations learning FCPX and the quirks of the X5 at the same time, especially if you know little about manual settings on a camera like shutter speeds, ISO, DOF, the X5 requires a lot more set up, calibration, etc.. so focus on editing with the X3 first.. baby steps, its the best way to get better at anything. We are all here to help each other, and I hope your endeavor is satisfying...... Did you try the muffins?

Thanks for recipe.....they were delicious !

Classic response....that was a good one.

I personally started easy with imovie for a year just performing basic color correction and editing. I recently have tried both FCPX and DaVinci Resolve.....both great products. Easier learning curve going from imovie to FCPX. Revolve is great but a bit overwhelming at first

I just went spherical objects to the wall and got the Inspire with X5 and entire Adobe Suite. I've never had anything other than a point and shoot and never edited in my life prior to 3 months ago.

It's been a fun learning experience for me. :)

I just went spherical objects to the wall and got the Inspire with X5 and entire Adobe Suite. I've never had anything other than a point and shoot and never edited in my life prior to 3 months ago.

It's been a fun learning experience for me. :)

I'm using Photoshop/Lightroom and Premiere Pro CC so if I add anything else I might as well get the whole suite. I have not 'needed' Aftereffects yet but if I decide to add it then it's the same price to get the whole suite.

Brian

Reactions: Eliphion
As a certified videographer I will advise to use what the Pro's use (Premiere, Final Cut or Ableton) because the resources are vast and far more reliable, and then experiment with the lesser known softwares for your own discovery.

My work flow: fully loaded Mac Pro (2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache, 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC, 1 TB PCIe-based flash storage, Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each ), Dual 4K monitors (Azus PA329Q), full Adobe CC suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Lightroom, Bridge, Photoshop and Illustrator).

Most videographers neglect the audio side, opting for canned loops or whatnot. My company uses Cubase 8 Pro for custom soundtrack work.

PS- having been a studio guitarist for almost 30 years, I can play like Satriani (I find his playing very linear and easy to copy). However, I have to rehearse for a month to perform even remotely close to his most talented student, Steve Vai, or his lesser known apprentice (and my facebook friend - ha) Geoff Tyson. Those guys are not human. About the only thing I can do like them is break a string. :)

Last edited:
Well, most pros use PProCc, Avid and FCP, maybe Lightworks for picture editing, Pro Tools and maybe Soundtrack Pro for audio editing, After Effects, Shake, Fusion or Nuke for visual effects, Color or Resolve for grading and Maya, C4D, Houdini or maybe Lightwave for animation, depending on workflow, PCs and Macs about the same these days except for most editors tend towards Macs and most VFX folk PCs. But pros tend to own and operate both, or get one type of platform and use it to run the other (dual system platforms). That way they get the latest flavor of whatever software may be out there and can stay ahead in the hiring/employment game.

I see some pretty epic videos out there and I know most of the work is done in post. What do you find is the best editing software for video? I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'd still be looking for something with an easy learning curve. Right now I'm using the Inspire1 w/ the x3. Probably be upgrading to the x5 next month. Any help would be appreciated.
This is probably the one of the best editors out there and the powerful non pro version is totally free. Check it out.
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

Wish I could find a link to Davinci resolve 12 - all the old links I'm finding push me to version 14.3 which requires windows 10 to run. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 ( it works, rarely blue screens and my older version of Photoshop is more than I ever need)

Brian, hi
On the BMC site, just go to the software download page and find the Resolve download column, which on my computers is the leftmost of the columns.

Then find the slider button that allows you to slide down that column, to get to the previous versions. You'll find all previous versions down this column.

HTH
Chris

Reactions: Brian Nolan
Thank you Chris, that saves me from having to call BMC tech support and admit that Im rapidly approaching the technological understanding as my mother ( who still attempts to repair everything with a breadknife)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido