Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

emergency 'FLY-AWAY' remedies ?

I almost never calibrate the compass. I DO however check the mod values before EVERY flight, and monitor the mod values for a couple of minutes, switching back and forth between that, and the battery cell levels screens until everything looks and flys perfect. If I ever do find a mod value out of whack, I move locations. Works for me anyways.

You make an excellent point - I may well have moved my bird during the power up procedure, thank you sir !

I guarantee that will cause it problems. i had the issue with my phantom a couple times before i figured it out, i would power it on and then carry it over to my desired launching location and it would fly erratic every time i did that and perfect if i powered it on after i put it in the desired launch location. It and the inspire both use its current position during that test to calibrate its sensors at what it assumes is a stationary position. I cant say for sure about the need for being level when powering it on, ive launched from slightly slanted surfaces on multiple occasions without issue but never tried switching to atti mode. its possible gps mode holds position countering the sensors thinking its not level. Ill have to perform a test and see what happens.

The quad does not need to be perfectly level when powering on or taking off. That is what the IMU calibration is for. The IMU knows, after successful calibration what is supposed to be level, so the moment you take off from a slightly unlevel surface the quad will level itself. GPS does not influence this.

I think your batteries are updated correctly. It should be enough to leave the firmware on the stick, the update also does not take very long. I think the fast yellow LED flashing is normal I also had this.

As long as I dont have a fly-away with fresh calibrated compass I more consider this the problem. Especially if the fly-away happens just after start.

I think there is a 60g difference between TB 47 and TB 48 I dont know if 60g are already enough to make a compass problem if not calibrated new. Its also possible the compass to be affected by transportation in the car or switching on at home or whatever even if the fly location is then always the same.

Until now I did not find any report of a fly-away immediately after start where the compass was calibrated directly before that flight in an area with normal magnetic field.

I dont see how weight difference would affect your compass, compass is for direction. being off balance would affect it slightly in atti mode but as long as gps signal holds you could hang a few ounces or more from one side and not have any problems. As i never calibrate my compass and use both 47s and 48s i can tell you there are no problems doing so. More importantly is the imu calibration which controls the ability to fly level, it doesnt need to be calibrated often either, but it does need to be calibrated correctly.

The quad does not need to be perfectly level when powering on or taking off. That is what the IMU calibration is for. The IMU knows, after successful calibration what is supposed to be level, so the moment you take off from a slightly unlevel surface the quad will level itself. GPS does not influence this.
thats what i thought as well but figured maybe gps would be able to compensate and hold position if its basis of level wasnt actually level. Ive never had an issue taking off from a slanted surface. I virtually always launch from the bed cover of my truck and sometimes do so when its parked on a hillside.

I guess this is basically the information I was looking for......

EMERGENCY PROCEDURES

3) Any sign that inspire is not responding to input PUSH RTH Button

2) Check Antennas are in correct position and facing the Inspire.

1) If Inspire is still not responding switch to ATTI MODE

I would suggest that switching to atti mode would be your first step followed by antennas then and only then would I try the RTH function.

I have had two mag compass errors recently (135 flights and 200 + km without issue previous) and both were corrected instantly with switching to atti mode. On the first one I was in an area where I had a mile in any direction of open space and the I1 was about 400 m away. After I got the craft back under control and in closer, I switched back to gps mode to see what would happen and it was acting normally. I then switched back to atti mode and brought it in and landed without issues.

Second one I1 was above a lake so I didn't screw around and just switched over to atti and brought it in and landed.

Both times I was in a hover and adjusting camera settings when it happened. I saw the warning at top of the screen and saw craft moving abnormally so I switched to atti mode right away.

I check my mod values before every flight as part of my preflight and both times they were in normal ranges. I also have only done mag cal when updating FW or if the values were way out in preflight(rare).

I suspect that many of these flyaways and crashes are due to pilot error/ panic and lack of experience when it happens. It is another reason to practice atti mode flying more than gps mode until one gets comfortable.

I too have had this happen. 5th flight. Scared me for 52 seconds as it accelerated in increasingly wide arcs until it made a sudden move and struck a rock at 50 mph.

3rd flight of the day. Previous flights totally perfect. 16 satellites, full strength...

I did a lot of research and I have a theory: the Kp-index.

K-index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I checked when I arrived. A cool 2. At 3 pm when my bird went insane, it hit 5.

I theorize the quality of signal degrades in some way and the gps brain can't be trusted under these magnetic storms. I theorize specifically a Kp-index of 5 can be very bad.

Only a theory. Definitely lots of moving parts and software to blame as well, but I definitely believe I'll fly in Atti mode a lot.

Bennino

I too have had this happen. 5th flight. Scared me for 52 seconds as it accelerated in increasingly wide arcs until it made a sudden move and struck a rock at 50 mph.

3rd flight of the day. Previous flights totally perfect. 16 satellites, full strength...

I did a lot of research and I have a theory: the Kp-index.

K-index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I checked when I arrived. A cool 2. At 3 pm when my bird went insane, it hit 5.

I theorize the quality of signal degrades in some way and the gps brain can't be trusted under these magnetic storms. I theorize specifically a Kp-index of 5 can be very bad.

Only a theory. Definitely lots of moving parts and software to blame as well, but I definitely believe I'll fly in Atti mode a lot.

Bennino
Nope - KP index at 5 would have no effect. In fact KP index has virtually zero affect on flight. In any case, you could switch to atti and GPS is out of the equation.
However, increasingly larger circles is classic TBE and indicates a bad compass calibration.

What were your mod values prior to take off on that fateful flight?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop