Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Epic 2 Mile Fly Away!

i am glad i had no issues yet... i fly in budapest downdown for an imagfilm i am making for a friend of mine... something like thus would cost my balls, head and leg at least... in worst case... resulting in ultimate ban of multirotors in budapest i guess... crazy... i am not sure what i would have done while in LOS i probably would have tried the CSC... and get it down on the field in the beginning of the video... then take the bird to dji and let them fix it and refund me with a new one... stuff like this should not happen...
i am glad it turned out good for you. nice place where you live. may i ask wehre you are located at?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebburn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x487e6fc71ee1f81d:0x5a267ea1800802b1

eh? so im not to calibrate compass at every flight location?
Not if you do not want a repeat of what happened to you.
And you need to sort yourself out a methodical checklist, not calibrate and fly.
There is nothing wrong with your Inspire.

I wonder if that ship may have switched on their radar or some other EM source that caused your IMU to get scrambled? Just a WAG on my part but it will be interesting to see what DJI has to say about that once they see the flight data.
I really though about that, prior to this, i flew over the heli pad on ship, i know now was bad move, i really agree with what u say, why has this happened?

i best guess that you still have your BIN file on sd card that why you ran out of space so the video was cut. Also ur compass was out of wack. I think your 3rd battery was updating firmware while on air. my 2cents

LG G3

i best guess that you still have your BIN file on sd card that why you ran out of space so the video was cut. Also ur compass was out of wack. I think your 3rd battery was updating firmware while on air. my 2cents

LG G3
no BIN file on SD CARD, replaced and formatted 64 micro sd prior to flight

LG G3
checked logs, all batteries updated correctly

Reactions: Skyline
I'm all for checking the IMU values before flight but why can the app not refuse to take off if they are out of tolerance? If this really was the cause of these recent crazy flights I would have thought DJI would have implemented it as a matter of priority to save all the bad publicity they are getting. There's definitely something else going on here imo. I too have had the "TBE" on a few flights with this latest firmware and the one prior after performing full calibrations and it is nothing like my experience with the phantom 1 over the last couple of years which has been flawless.

I'm all for checking the IMU values before flight but why can the app not refuse to take off if they are out of tolerance? If this really was the cause of these recent crazy flights I would have thought DJI would have implemented it as a matter of priority to save all the bad publicity they are getting. There's definitely something else going on here imo.
Because the flight controller doesn't know the compass values are wrong for the declination you are flying in!. If you have a skewed calibration due to an influencing factor nearby, once you are clear of that problem (airborne) you have a bad compass calibration for that geographical declination value.
There is nothing else going on - just bad aircraft preparation.

I'm all for checking the IMU values before flight but why can the app not refuse to take off if they are out of tolerance? If this really was the cause of these recent crazy flights I would have thought DJI would have implemented it as a matter of priority to save all the bad publicity they are getting. There's definitely something else going on here imo.
100% mate you seen that footage, what if it had of come down and hit a car? i had zero control and i was safe for flight? its insane this like

I really though about that, prior to this, i flew over the heli pad on ship, i know now was bad move, i really agree with what u say, why has this happened?
should the craft be so sensible regarding these things??? where can one fly then without having to chew his nails??? only on farms in the middle of nowhere with absolute ZERO interfirence in ground and above??? this should not be, considering we spent 3k on it... my other multirotor does not have these kind of issues, ok some are pcb structure but no alt limit, no distance limit and a linux kind of freedom where you can see flight data and evaluate and see everything...

i am glad i started with the other system as i think i know what i have to do in the "just in case" situation or when the i1 one just switches to atti mode... i learned to fly in atti mode only where i have to hold altitude manually and be able to switch gps and alt hold...

editor is right though in making a checklist. there are some good ones on this forum and the one adam savage made i printed and laminated them for me keeping them with me to go through prior flight, every flight...
cheers

I'm not talking about the compass calibration in this instance which I agree should be done at all new flying locations and checked but the IMU values. People keep insisting this should be checked pre flight but if this is the case why is the app not doing it? There is no difference between me checking it and the app doing so.

Reactions: Harry Nicholson
Because the flight controller doesn't know the compass values are wrong for the declination you are flying in!. If you have a skewed calibration due to an influencing factor nearby, once you are clear of that problem (airborne) you have a bad compass calibration for that geographical declination value.
There is nothing else going on - just bad aircraft preparation.
ok, so for all us that are not as clued up as u, what must we do?
im not in wrong here like!

Looking at the flight characteristics of your video I would put money that this is compass related.
Atti would have saved you in this instance which is why it is strongly advisable to become very comfortable flying in this mode.

Can you answer my questions 1, 2 and 3 above please? (Assuming you did them)
you must admit ATTI is a big jump for newbies man, i just want your help!

ATTI is not as daunting as you may think, controlling is the same but you are subject to wind drift and the craft will continue on the direction of travel without correction. Practice with slight stick input on a calm day and be ready to knock it back into gps if you lose your bearings.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
ATTI is not as daunting as you may think, controlling is the same but you are subject to wind drift and the craft will continue on the direction of travel without correction. Practice with slight stick input on a calm day and be ready to knock it back into gps if you lose your bearings.
im so tempted to do it, but 2.5k is a lot to me man

Another point to note is when this type of behaviour has occurred for me I have calibrated (compass and IMU) then flown a couple of batteries beforehand with no issues whatsoever. I'm willing to accept the compass may drift slightly across a few batteries but not enough to cause this type of behaviour and the evidence tends to rule out a poor compass calibration beforehand. If that is the case and the compass is becoming uncalibrated mid-flight it is *FAR* more sensitive than my phantom that I have flown hundreds of times without similar issues.

I've downloaded, printed, laminated this......and FOLLOW it (although I put the blades on right before power up)

Attachments

• INSPIRE 1 Checklist by Mark Candlin V1.1.pdf
    357.1 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: Harry Nicholson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide