Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Ethics

Reaction score
Website
www.westernuas.com
While training a friend how to fly his brand new I1, I was at the controls when I had a flyaway. We were in a park he took me to that had what he said was an inactive radardome. Turns out it was active and I lost control of the I1. Since I was at the controls, I said I would have it repaired at my expense. He told me he had insurance that could cover it, but didn't want to use it. Then, after I contacted a repair company (Drone-Works), he told me he was uncomfortable with getting a repaired one back and demanded a new replacement. I bought one and am going to give it to him (a complete new I1 with battery, controller, case, etc.). Now he says I cannot have the wrecked one and is demanding I give it back to him as he says I have no salvage rights like an insurance company would. Thoughts?

I'd tell him to piss off, frankly. I probably wouldn't have even replaced it if I were not at fault. Since you agreed to it, all you owe him is the replacement Inspire, you should get to keep the broken one. I also wouldn't give him the new controller or case.

Some friend.

First off - I'm not sure that you owe him anything, but that wasn't the question.

It is very generous of you to buy him a new I1. It seems to me that:
1) you should only give him the I1 (and a battery, but only if it was damaged), not the controller and not the case; and
2) you most definitely should receive the damaged I1 in return.

You didn't damage the controller or the case, you don't owe him new ones. This isn't an issue about salvage rights. This is an issue about doing the right thing. You are attempting to do the right thing - if he isn't willing to do the right thing and return to you everything that you are replacing, then screw him. Don't give him anything.

While training a friend how to fly his brand new I1, I was at the controls when I had a flyaway. We were in a park he took me to that had what he said was an inactive radardome. Turns out it was active and I lost control of the I1. Since I was at the controls, I said I would have it repaired at my expense. He told me he had insurance that could cover it, but didn't want to use it. Then, after I contacted a repair company (Drone-Works), he told me he was uncomfortable with getting a repaired one back and demanded a new replacement. I bought one and am going to give it to him (a complete new I1 with battery, controller, case, etc.). Now he says I cannot have the wrecked one and is demanding I give it back to him as he says I have no salvage rights like an insurance company would. Thoughts?
Sounds like you're a stand up kind of guy..
If you give him a new i1 then it's only right for him to give you the crashed i1 ..
I'm not sure if the radardome had anything to do with the crash..you could of had a bad compass calibration causing the problem. .
Who knows...

Sounds like you're a stand up kind of guy..
If you give him a new i1 then it's only right for him to give you the crashed i1 ..
I'm not sure if the radardome had anything to do with the crash..you could of had a bad compass calibration causing the problem. .
Who knows...
Actually, I calibrated the compass just before takeoff. Who knows.

Actually, I calibrated the compass just before takeoff. Who knows.
I would need to hear more about the crash to narrow down the cause.
That being said seems like a strong possibility that you got a bad calibration due to the radardome or the materials in the area to support it..
I would suggest not doing a compass calibration every time you move locations. .get a good calibration and stick with it..

Reactions: The Editor
Latest development. He just threatened to sue me if I don't send him the new I1 and the damaged one too. I think the "friendship" is done.
Send him the damaged one and tell him to do what he thinks is right..In other words f off...
I doubt he will win a lawsuit and no matter what he does. He will waste a bunch of time and money and nothing will come of it..
F him if he isn't reasonable. .

It may cause an intermittent loss of link. It won't cause it to go flying off out of control. I doubt the loss of link would be long enough to even get to an RTH considering the beam width is probably pretty small.

Wow, what a sad story but i'm wondering why you still use the term "friend".

First, **** happens and if so, friends stay together and try to work it out in a fair way. If all this happend how you told us than you did more than he should or could expect. You offered a repair, you bought a new one and now this little dipsh*t is still trying to rip you off. Shame on him.

Let him sue you, you have a great chance to get out of it.

Sounds you are a good guy, don't beat yourself up and don't let others!

Get the flight logs out of the fallen bird and post it here, here are a lot guys who can tell you what maybe really happend, maybe it had nothing to do with the dome and it was just a general failure (warranty!!)

Chris

Last edited:
Not sure here. Are you saying that flying near or into a radar beam will have NO effect on the flight? Also, the real question I have is: since I am giving him a brand new I1 and props, can I keep the wrecked one.
If he's going to sue you just hold on to the new one and send him his old one until there is a judgment. .
You might not be found liable. .
If you end up giving him the new one I'd swap them straight across. .I wouldn't mix match components. .

Offer him a good old fashion azz whipping.its your word against his in court. Just tell the judge he's tripping and a heavy drug user.he does not have a leg to stand on in court. Then beat his little cry baby AZZ lol

Reactions: SultanGris
This sounds like a crazy story beginning to end and I agree that you are a great guy to be going this far to help him. Now, regarding the fallen inspire, you bought it. That was the point. Is this kid insane?

Reactions: Djeszelda

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan