Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Ethics

Latest development. He just threatened to sue me if I don't send him the new I1 and the damaged one too. I think the "friendship" is done.
My dear friend, If I were you I would do as he asks and send him the remnants of the crashed drone immediately, BUT KEEP THE NEW ONE FOR YOURSELF.

let him sue you for it. If he has insurance a judge will AT WORST require that you pay the excess on the insurance.
It is more likely that unless he proves that you agreed to take on all responsibility for any incident BEFORE you flew it for him then the judge will award him NOTHING as he is entitled to nothing. However if you did agree to take on responsibility in the event of a crash then the judge would look at any mitigating circumstances and would likely arrive at the conclusion that your "friend" was also partly liable if any environmental circumstances contributed to the crash. Therefore he would have to pay half , if not all of the LOSS (the deductible from insurance).
friendship over, lesson learned, keep the new one send the pd one back to him straight away and advise that he needs to claim on his insurance for his loss.

This guy is a complete *******. You've been more than fair and generous. Why give the guy a new controller and all the other stuff. The craft alone was damaged, nothing else, correct? It's super nice of you to replace this...that's all I would give him. You certainly should keep the damaged unit. What a pain in the ***. I hope this stupid turd just goes away. Lawsuit? Are you kidding?

You have been way beyond ethical.

Latest development. He just threatened to sue me if I don't send him the new I1 and the damaged one too. I think the "friendship" is done.
This is what my response would be:

A reasonable resolution to this would have been for me to pay to have your Inspire repaired. I went above and beyond what is reasonable by offering to buy you a brand new Inspire. It is foolish to think that you somehow deserve to keep the original one as well. If you insist on keeping both Inspires, I will return the new one, hire a layer (whom you will end up paying for) and see you in court.

Wow, what a sad story but i'm wondering why you still use the term "friend".

First, **** happens and if so, friends stay together and try to work it out in a fair way. If all this happend how you told us than you did more than he should or could expect. You offered a repair, you bought a new one and now this little dipsh*t is still trying to rip you off. Shame on him.

Let him sue you, you have a great chance to get out of it.

Sounds you are a good guy, don't beat yourself up and don't let others!

Get the flight logs out of the fallen bird and post it here, here are a lot guys who can tell you what maybe really happend, maybe it had nothing to do with the dome and it was just a general failure (warranty!!)

Chris
I can't get the card from the camera. He kept it.

While training a friend how to fly his brand new I1, I was at the controls when I had a flyaway. We were in a park he took me to that had what he said was an inactive radardome. Turns out it was active and I lost control of the I1. Since I was at the controls, I said I would have it repaired at my expense. He told me he had insurance that could cover it, but didn't want to use it. Then, after I contacted a repair company (Drone-Works), he told me he was uncomfortable with getting a repaired one back and demanded a new replacement. I bought one and am going to give it to him (a complete new I1 with battery, controller, case, etc.). Now he says I cannot have the wrecked one and is demanding I give it back to him as he says I have no salvage rights like an insurance company would. Thoughts?
if you want to give him new i1 thats up to you, but by no means are you responsible to do so, he can try to sue you for it but good luck in him winning, if you give new one Take the old one and tell him to piss off.. If it was me i would not give him new one at all. his loss. i also wouldn't pay for the repair either. thats why he has insurance... thats what its for. dont pay the deductible either.. again he can sue you for it but NO way he can win,

Reactions: Djeszelda
While training a friend how to fly his brand new I1, I was at the controls when I had a flyaway. We were in a park he took me to that had what he said was an inactive radardome. Turns out it was active and I lost control of the I1. Since I was at the controls, I said I would have it repaired at my expense. He told me he had insurance that could cover it, but didn't want to use it. Then, after I contacted a repair company (Drone-Works), he told me he was uncomfortable with getting a repaired one back and demanded a new replacement. I bought one and am going to give it to him (a complete new I1 with battery, controller, case, etc.). Now he says I cannot have the wrecked one and is demanding I give it back to him as he says I have no salvage rights like an insurance company would. Thoughts?

A truly bizarre reaction from a so called friend! Your offer is more than generous. I honestly don't understand why he wouldn't let you have the damaged unit when you're replacing it for him. Besides that, it's possible you got a bad compass calibration as others have suggested. Also, I agree with ianwood, I doubt the radar caused the problem. A couple of questions though, who did the IMU calibration, was it done on a vibration free, flat level surface with the aircraft cold? Did you switch to ATTI mode when it started flying away? Hope you figure it out.

Wow... This is crazy.... If I'm teaching a friend to drive his car, and we crash... It's his insurance that should pay...
I'm not going to buy him a new car and let him keep both..??
Why is this any different?
You don't owe him a new inspire...? Perhaps he meddled with it before you even laid your hands on it, or had a crash before hand which damaged it in some way....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't get the card from the camera. He kept it.

The flight logs are not on the SD Card of the camera! They are stored in the bird! Check if they are still there after the repair, could save you money!!

Chris

The guy is an *******, but why buy a new machine in the first place? You should have gone through the repair/warranty process, on a first fligth it's pretty likely it would have covered/replaced by DJI.

Thanks to ALL of you on this forum. The support has been humbling and overwhelming. The bottom line for me is that I have learned a lot about friends and expectations and the Inspire.. Your kind thoughts and words mean a great deal to me.I am keeping the repaired/replaced Inspire and sending only the affected parts to him. As for the "friendship", I think that too will have to be replaced. Again, many thanks to this community.

Thanks to ALL of you on this forum. The support has been humbling and overwhelming. The bottom line for me is that I have learned a lot about friends and expectations and the Inspire.. Your kind thoughts and words mean a great deal to me.I am keeping the repaired/replaced Inspire and sending only the affected parts to him. As for the "friendship", I think that too will have to be replaced. Again, many thanks to this community.
reading the thread i wish i would have a friend like you. needles to say i would not want you to buy a new one nor have it repaired unless you insist and even then i would split that cost.
you made a good choice with what you will do and i agree to the posts above. your "friend" can shove the parts up his little **** himself and get a life. personally i would probably (after all this) not even send him spare parts and leave him rott with what he has.
i don't know where you are located but - that is meant to all in the forum - in case anyone stops by in or near hungary (seven countris surrounding us lol) you are very welcome to let me know if you want to visit budapest or other country parts and i will and can help to organize accomodation or give you a round trip in the city of Budapest :) dinner is on me :D LOL -i mean it -

reading the thread i wish i would have a friend like you. needles to say i would not want you to buy a new one nor have it repaired unless you insist and even then i would split that cost.
you made a good choice with what you will do and i agree to the posts above. your "friend" can shove the parts up his little **** himself and get a life. personally i would probably (after all this) not even send him spare parts and leave him rott with what he has.

You are too kind. Thank you. I AM going to send only the parts that broke: the Inspire body, the gimbal and 4 props. Nothing more. End of story lol

Reactions: Phatzo
l
You are too kind. Thank you. I AM going to send only the parts that broke: the Inspire body, the gimbal and 4 props. Nothing more. End of story lol
like i said if it was me i probably would not even have done it but you made a fair choice. you are like the others said a stand up guy - if I remember the sentence correctly - in hungary one would say you have a spine or a back because you took the consequenses and not just leave it.

edit: i just read a few posts up that he has insurance. if that is the case you are WAY WAY to kind. - but have a backbone :) respect.
i will open a thread: where are you from? - i am curoius :D

Last edited:
Did you already have the other I1 repaired too? and he is asking for both the repaired I1 and new I1? And I would only give him the Quad. No controller no case no extra props, no anything but the quad. tell him see you in court. Take him to Judge Judy, he'll come away with nothing!

l
like i said if it was me i probably would not even have done it but you made a fair choice. you are like the others said a stand up guy - if I remember the sentence correctly - in hungary one would say you have a spine or a back because you took the consequenses and not just leave it.

edit: i just read a few posts up that he has insurance. if that is the case you are WAY WAY to kind. - but have a backbone :) respect.
i will open a thread: where are you from? - i am curoius :D

Sorry I just got back to you on this. I am from Oregon, on the West coast of the U.S. At the moment, he sent the repaired Inspire to DJI. I am sure he will try to convince me to pay for whatever it costs their. No go.

Reactions: STClassic01
I thought he had an insurance, so the natural thing would be for him to use that one...if its not a warranty case in which case DJI would cover it.
Thats what insurances are for.

Sometimes people amazes me, trying to get as much out of the accident as possible, disgusting.
I would be happy if i got the broken drone fixed, since it was a "friend" and an accident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pradeepnama123