Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Exploring shooting photos with X5S, Olympus 12mm & waveform monitor

Reaction score
Website
www.portlandprodrones.com
I have started to explore shooting photos when I am out shooting video. I typically shoot ProRes and DLog in my video right now so this will be my default setup.

What I find is when I set the Video up as DLog, the Camera settings take on the DLog setting as well. What I have to do is to go into the Camera settings and manually change it. The other thing I am doing is using the waveform monitor to determine exposure. I am looking for highlight and shadow clipping in both DLog version and Normal version. Though I have typically used the Histogram on other cameras, using the waveform monitor here seems to give me a more consistent result. I used Phase One Capture Pro 10 (CO10) for my editing in these examples. This is my goto app for Photography.

The first thing I wanted to compare was when the Color is set to DLog compared to Normal.

Photograph 1 - Unedited
· Lens: Olympus 12mm
· Color: DLog
· Shutter speed: 1/50 s
· ISO 500 (this is locked to 500)
· F/13
· Center weighted average
· WB – auto

Unedited Original

Chris Anson Images-DJI_0287 - DLog using waveform- unedited.jpg

Photograph 2 - Unedited
· Lens: Olympus 12mm
· Color: Normal
· Shutter speed: 1/200 s
· ISO 400
· F/13
· Center weighted average
· WB – auto

Chris Anson Images-DJI_0288 - Normal Using waveform- unedited.jpg

Photograph 1 - Edited

Chris Anson Images-DJI_0287 - DLog using waveform-edited.jpg

Photograph 2 - Edited
Chris Anson Images-DJI_0288 - Normal Using waveform- edited.jpg

Conclusions -
The images produced are pretty close. That seems like good news because sometimes I forget to change the color setting in the middle of it all.

Please let me know what your experiences are in shooting photographs on the Inspire 2.

Lots left to learn.

thanks, Chris

Oh yes, here is from a few nights ago in the Columbia Gorge near Portland Oregon near sunset. It was shot as Color = Normal.

Chris Anson Images-DJI_0208-2.jpg

I do not think that f13 is optimal for the Olympus 12mm, f5-f8 seems to be the preferred range for sunny daylight shots. I would also set the WB somewhere between 5300-5800 avoiding auto. I shoot jpg and raw with no other settings changed. I have yet to explore Dlog vs normal as I always use normal. I will try Dlog tomorrow for stills.

I do not think that f13 is optimal for the Olympus 12mm, f5-f8 seems to be the preferred range for sunny daylight shots. I would also set the WB somewhere between 5300-5800 avoiding auto. I shoot jpg and raw with no other settings changed. I have yet to explore Dlog vs normal as I always use normal. I will try Dlog tomorrow for stills.

Hey SanCap,

Thanks for the feedback. I also read that for defraction issues the optimal for M4/3 lenses is supposed to be around f4 (half of full frame) and good to f5.6. I am going to explore f4-f8 and see how that range works.

Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth