Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Exploring X5S, Oly 12mm, DLog, ProRes 5280x2160 422HQ

Reaction score
Website
www.portlandprodrones.com
Like many of you I am learning and exploring the X5S with DLog. I shot this using an Olympus 12mm f2 lens, shot it in DLog, ProRes 422HQ @ 5280x2160. I used Davinci Resolve 14 Beta 3. For uploading to YouTube I set it to 422LT in 5280x2160.

The camera settings:
- style settings were: -3,-3,-3
- Color: DLog
- White Balance: cloudy
- Shot approx 1.7- 2 stops over
- LUT: colorgradingcentral.com Vision 4 LUT here
- Plugins: Dehaze, Sharpen

Here's the YouTube link:

Looks nice! I don't think the -3 -3 -3 style settings did anything for you though; I'm pretty sure they only affect the H.264 and H.265 video recorded to the SD card.

Beautiful indeed. Not sure the -3 help you either, but could be wrong. I find that as a resolve user (14 rocks) that knocking a tad of sharpness off in post is better than wishing you had more detail (my 2 cents). I am also a big fan of knocking down contrast a bit in the feild as I find it easier to get a more even exposure and can always add contrast back. Question. Curious about your choice to shot the 2.3 stops over? Were you trying to really bring out some darker detail? And if so do you think if you had not shot over could you have recovered the sky more? BTW beautiful footage! Very jealous as I rarely get to places that stunning with my bird. I am in the process of upgrading from my inspire 1 x3 to an inspire 2 x5s kit and I could not be more excited. Especially when I see footage like yours. As far as I am concerned, keep the videos coming and PLEASE keep sharing your settings! I find settings advice with out video to back it up and vice versa to be frustrating!

rb

Last edited:
Beautiful indeed. Not sure the -3 help you either, but could be wrong. I find that as a resolve user (14 rocks) that knocking a tad of sharpness off in post is better than wishing you had more detail (my 2 cents). I am also a big fan of knocking down contrast a bit in the feild as I find it easier to get a more even exposure and can always add contrast back. Question. Curious about your choice to shot the 2.3 stops over? Were you trying to really bring out some darker detail? And if so do you think if you had not shot over could you have recovered the sky more? BTW beautiful footage! Very jealous as I rarely get to places that stunning with my bird. I am in the process of upgrading from my inspire 1 x3 to an inspire 2 x5s kit and I could not be more excited. Especially when I see footage like yours. As far as I am concerned, keep the videos coming and PLEASE keep sharing your settings! I find settings advice with out video to back it up and vice versa to be frustrating!

rb
Thanks for your kind words. I have much to learn here and I am not an expert. What I am finding in shooting DLog is that if I don't overexpose I end up with noise in the shadows. And yes if I overexpose too much then I will blow out the highlights. But there seems to be a sweet spot and in overexposing where I don't blow out the sky and I don't get noise in the shadows.

In regards to the sky, the day I shot the footage was very overcast and so the sky was pretty much just grey as the footage shows it without much detail. I will keep exploring and see what happens on the next sunny day I have a change to shoot.

As for the style settings, thanks to @Shawn Esplin, I am looking into this. In the limited testing I am finding that they don't seem to have an effect on the ProRes/Dlog footage, but do have an effect on the H.264/H.265. I also have that question into @Advexure , where I purchased the system. They have been very helpful in getting me information that DJI support doesn't seem to be able to answer.

thanks for your feedback and insights,
Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74