Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Extra Weight (for placement of Sony RX100 ii)

Nooooo....read my edited post again.
Multi rotor design will always try and achieve hover at mid stick. That's how we are able to zip around all over the place.
If it generated as you say 800g the Inspire would be pathetic in the air. You have to have circa 50% of your rated power in reserve to be able to maneuver effectively.

Simples.....

Gentlemen,

You can hang a cat off the Inspire if you like and nobody will stop you.

However:

The DJI specs for the E800 motors used on the Inspire list the motors as "takeoff weight recommended" as 800g/motor.

I digress.

http://www.dji.com/product/e800/spec

Hey brother. .
don't make me like your anymore of your posts...
I'll never catch up to you and become a well known memember. .
Also I was worried there for a second about the 334 grams I'm hauling around. .went 2 miles and back with 45 % battery left..
I'd post a screen shot, but the photo attachment thing isnt working ..
turbo. .
I will just keep liking my own posts!!!!!...... Oh no, I can't do that can I?

Yup..... There's a good example. If you were carrying 334g of payload that would make the AUW of your Inspire around 3,330g. If Damon was right at 800g generated thrust per motor your Inspire would have eaten dirt being 134g overweight. At half battery you would have lost your Inspire :(

Yup..... There's a good example. If you were carrying 334g of payload that would make the AUW of your Inspire around 3,330g. If Damon was right at 800g generated thrust per motor your Inspire would have eaten dirt being 134g overweight. At half battery you would have lost your Inspire :(

See above

Nowhere did I say the E800's max thrust was 800g. You guys are just being silly now.

Again, you can add whatever weight you like to the Inspire until it can't liftoff (max thrust per motor X 4) but the DJI spec page for the E800 motors used on the Inspire list the motors clearly lists "takeoff weight recommended" as 800g/motor.

I digress.

See above
Nowhere did I say the E800's max thrust was 800g. You guys are just being silly now.

Again, you can add whatever weight you like to the Inspire until it can't liftoff (max thrust per motor X 4) but the DJI spec page for the E800 motors used on the Inspire list the motors clearly lists "takeoff weight recommended" as 800g/motor.

I digress.

This is between you guys ..keep me out of it..lol..
you're both cool in my book !!
I'm just telling you what I did...
I was surprised to see how heavy the light is and it's little effect on the flight performance it has...
now please continue ...
turbo. .

Feel free to give me a like every now and then Editor. .
even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. ..

Actually the E800 motors used on the Inspire are rated for 800g thrust total per motor by DJI.

With TB48 battery, quad and camera there is about 300g extra thrust capacity before reaching the 3200g rated thrust total.

Use it wisely :)
Hey Damon,
Not having a pop (honest) but in your original post you did quote as saying the motors have a 800g TOTAL thrust. That' s probably where the confusion lies.
The whole reason DJI have chosen 800g as recommended is that 4 x 800g = 3,200 g which means the Inspire will lift off at just about mid stick.
If the motors were rated at maximum 800g you would need to push your throttle all the way to the top just to lift off. You would then have no power in reserve to maneuver.
The reason I gave 1.8-2kg in my original post was because everybody will be flying/living at differing elevations and therefore not everybody will get 2.1kg out of their motors.
It is perfectly acceptable to take the motors over their 800g per corner within certain parameters and 300g additional payload will certainly not stress anything within the design envelope.
In fact, people who experiment with different props can put more of a loading factor/stress on the motors than adding 300g of payload.

Just my two pennyworth mate....... I'm too old and it's Sunday morning so I'm not going to argue
However over the last few years I have built and designed many multi's not from kits but from calculations and individual component selections based on thrust, payload, flight duration, prop size and pitch, current draw, idle current, motor temperature etc and climb out requirements so I am fairly well versed in multirotor physics. That's why, when you pointed out the 800g MAXIMUM number I came back with the response.

No offence intended, I will crawl back into my man cave now and fiddle with expo's and gains. :p:p:p

Hey Damon,
Not having a pop (honest) but in your original post you did quote as saying the motors have a 800g TOTAL thrust. That' s probably where the confusion lies.
The whole reason DJI have chosen 800g as recommended is that 4 x 800g = 3,200 g which means the Inspire will lift off at just about mid stick.
If the motors were rated at maximum 800g you would need to push your throttle all the way to the top just to lift off. You would then have no power in reserve to maneuver.
The reason I gave 1.8-2kg in my original post was because everybody will be flying/living at differing elevations and therefore not everybody will get 2.1kg out of their motors.
It is perfectly acceptable to take the motors over their 800g per corner within certain parameters and 300g additional payload will certainly not stress anything within the design envelope.
In fact, people who experiment with different props can put more of a loading factor/stress on the motors than adding 300g of payload.

Just my two pennyworth mate....... I'm too old and it's Sunday morning so I'm not going to argue
However over the last few years I have built and designed many multi's not from kits but from calculations and individual component selections based on thrust, payload, flight duration, prop size and pitch, current draw, idle current, motor temperature etc and climb out requirements so I am fairly well versed in multirotor physics. That's why, when you pointed out the 800g MAXIMUM number I came back with the response.

No offence intended, I will crawl back into my man cave now and fiddle with expo's and gains. :p:p:p

Ah, I see now. I think we just have a small misunderstanding here.

The motors are indeed "rated" for 800g thrust each, (aka "recommended takeoff weight") but indeed as you point out, have a "Max capable" thrust much higher.

You read my "total" as "max". I should not have used the word "total" with the rated thrust spec.

No worries. I think we're on the same page.

Hi Damon,
I hope not!!!!!!!! We would all crash if the motors could only produce 800g each! As soon as the batteries dropped a little voltage we couldn't even lift off! You are talking about recommended TOW which is different to max availalable thrust per rotor.
The reason they give a TOW of 3.2kg is to allow for
a. Hover capability around mid stick or 50% thrust
b. To allow an overhead for difference in production weight (although negligible with a machine like the Inspire.

Have a look on the page again.....top of the page, first item. Each motor produces 2,100g of thrust at 25v (ASL)
Take off the working AUW of the Inspire gives you a payload capacity of circa 5kg. Now it would fly like a pig and barely lift off with 5kg strapped to its belly but it could do it.
That's why 300g won't cause it to break sweat!

Don't try and out rocket science multi rotor ME Mr Cooper :p:p

Hi everybody,
in France we need a parachute to work in populated areas
all parachute models are 300/350g (flyingeye, frenchidrone, dronevolt, opale paramodels)
Inspire pro with TB47 and X5 is 3400g
(announced 3500g max takeoff weight)
So inspire pro X5R, TB48 and parachute will be 3900g

Will the inspire fly like a pig in this case? do we have to forget TB48? X5R?
without parachute we cant take off professionnally in most commercial cases
any experience of 3900g in flight?
many thanks
François

Hi everybody,
in France we need a parachute to work in populated areas
all parachute models are 300/350g (flyingeye, frenchidrone, dronevolt, opale paramodels)
Inspire pro with TB47 and X5 is 3400g
(announced 3500g max takeoff weight)
So inspire pro X5R, TB48 and parachute will be 3900g

Will the inspire fly like a pig in this case? do we have to forget TB48? X5R?
without parachute we cant take off professionnally in most commercial cases
any experience of 3900g in flight?
many thanks
François
The general consensus of opinion is that this was a typo by DJI in quoting the payload capacity at 3400g rather than an AUW.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan