Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Extremely High Wind? What to do?

Reaction score
Website
www.kvphoto.com
I'm in Maui, Hawaii this week and I did bring my Inspire 1.....I'm from South Louisiana and HIGH WIND for us is about 20 MPH.....

Yesterday, I was wanting some awesome footage of the cliffs and rocks, but the Trade Winds was really kicking!! I estimate at least 40 MPH.....you could not just stand up....it would blow you over....I took off and quickly just landed.....I was so afraid of that wind flipping the Inspire 1 over and crashing.....YOU CRASH on these rocks you just leave it there....there is NO FIXING THAT KIND OF CRASH!!!!

So, I guess my question is.....is it possible to flip the inspire 1? Could the wind be so strong that it would do that? OR would it just push it......

My reasoning for NOT FLYING was that the fastest I have ever been able to fly my Inspire 1 was about 38 MPH.....so.....if I were to take off in a 40 MPH wind...seems to me that if I was down wind, I could never get it back.....that the strength of the wind would prevent me from being able to fly home.

Is that REASONABLE thinking????

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of problem?????

Kirk

Wind can flip buildings, so it'll have no problem flipping your Inspire 1. The first key to flying is to use your head. If you cannot even stand up in the wind, then you probably should not be flying your 3k quadcopter.

Reactions: Kilrah
Wind can flip buildings, so it'll have no problem flipping your Inspire 1. The first key to flying is to use your head. If you cannot even stand up in the wind, then you probably should not be flying your 3k quadcopter.

That is what I did....I DID NOT FLY......my head told me that.....and so I did not fly.....but I was wondering if anyone else has had more experience than me....

Flipping would require huge turbulence which is quite unlikely - but obviously not being able to fight the wind and having it drifting away, as well as not being able to land without hitting the props on the ground due to the tilt required to stay in place are definitely good ways to lose/destroy your machine.

BTW your inspire is quoted for max 22mph wind, which is easy to find in the specs.

Don't know how that can even be a question really.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
Flipping would require huge turbulence which is quite unlikely - but obviously not being able to fight the wind and having it drifting away, as well as not being able to land without hitting the props on the ground due to the tilt required to stay in place are definitely good ways to lose/destroy your machine.

BTW your inspire is quoted for max 22mph wind, which is easy to find in the specs.
OK...thank you for that information.....very helpful!

My bad experience of strong winds, is with my Phantom 2.

That one disappeared over a forest, as soon as I got over the treetops.
Managed to get it back, then it was gusts of strong winds and not sustained winds.

But I have been flying my Inspire in 15-20 m/s and only had small problems, with drifting during repositioning.

Latest firmware is for sure a bummer for this, when one of my last flyings was terrible in medium winds.
The Inspire couldn´t hold position and drifted all over the place, with GPS-lock.

Last edited:
Wind speed increases with altitude... :eek:
I have flown in 30 to 35mph gusty winds and the Inspire fought it just fine in GPS mode
BUT... it had little margin to move upwind in those conditions...
I only fly upwind (180 degree arc) with the thought of don't go very far and be working on return and landing at 40% battery... in those conditions...
With every FW update I determine top speed in still conditions and file that away for future reference...
Current file gives me 38 to 40mph... early files were in the mid to upper 40's...
The big danger is flying downwind and draining the battery trying to get back...
I stay on the ground these days when winds top 28mph at 400ft

helpful webpage I use...
UAV Weather Forecast

Last edited:
My bad experience of strong winds, is with my Phantom 2.

That one disappeared over a forest, as soon as I got over the treetops.
Managed to get it back, then it was the gusts of strong winds and not sustained winds.

But I have been flying my Inspire in 15-20 m/s and only had small problems, with drifting during repositioning.

Latest firmware is for sure a bummer for this, when one of my last flyings was terrible in medium winds.
The Inspire couldn´t hold position and drifted all over the place, with GPS-lock.

That is what forced me to land....I took off.....did the image you see below from about 30 feet in the air.....but I was OVER LAND.......and it was drifting like crazy.....left and right....I was on GPS lock but it was NOT LOCKING......I took the image you see, and just landed.....It was not worth the loss just to get a cool photo.

Kirk

head rock.jpg

Nice shot anyway Kirk. Out of interest, what gain/ attitude settings are you using? Drifting I wind might suggest lower gain settings? That's a guess, BTW... And probably not a super informed one...
And are you shooting with the X5 or X5r?

Nice shot anyway Kirk. Out of interest, what gain/ attitude settings are you using? Drifting I wind might suggest lower gain settings? That's a guess, BTW... And probably not a super informed one...
And are you shooting with the X5 or X5r?

Thank you very much!!!

As to your question about the Gain/ Attitude

Here are ALL of my settings:

EXP
Throttle up/down .40
Rudder right/left .40
Forward right/left .40

Sensitivity
Attitude: 100
Brake: 100
Yaw EndPoint: 150

Gain:

Pitch: 100
Roll: 100
Yaw: 100
Vertical: 100

I am flying with the standard X5

Yours,

Kirk

Reactions: southerndoug
Without moving anything, was trying to hover to take som photos..

I´m not sure about the gain settings but I have not change anything.
Can take a look tomorrow..

They removed wind compensation when you move the sticks its strage it cannot even hoover without stick input. I dont understand why they make us so many problems with their firmware - not speaking of the limits and restrictions - but even such stuff. If you didnt change anything you have 100%. If you have such a wind at least you can test if 130% gain really helps something.

When you moved the sticks to fly or without moving anything? Did you have less then 100% gain settings?
WHAT gain settings? Attitude or Basic? They do very different things.
Unless you are going to explain which to adjust and why I would suggest it might be an idea to stop giving out bad advice which if people decide to adjust in VERY windy conditions can catch users unawares of the new flying dynamics on their aircraft.
You should not be advising people to adjust their gains in windy conditions.
There are a lot of newbie Inspire owners on this forum and reading many of your posts about 'adjusting gains' without an explanation of what each of them does and why to adjust them is irresponsible.

I think I had winds around 6-8 m/s and that was enough..

I will test some, when the weather is better and I have the time for it.

WHAT gain settings? Attitude or Basic?

Its selfexplainatory and foolproof.

Do you ever fly an Inspire? Or do you only fly your selfmade drones? Because if you fly Inspire you should already have the answer.

Just play newbie like you assume might read this and then search for attitude gain which you can set to 130% and tell me when you found it. ;)

DJI GO does not know anything like "attitude gain" it only knows attitude which you cannot set to 130%. Then it knows Basic gain and some versions advanced gain but only basic gain can be set to 130%. So whats the problem?

Analphabets who may not realize this cannot be misled as they cannot read this anyway and all others will realize this themselves.

Its selfexplainatory and foolproof.

Do you ever fly an Inspire? Or do you only fly your selfmade drones? Because if you fly Inspire you should already have the answer.

Just play newbie like you assume might read this and then search for attitude gain which you can set to 130% and tell me when you found it. ;)

DJI GO does not know anything like "attitude gain" it only knows attitude which you cannot set to 130%. Then it knows Basic gain and some versions advanced gain but only basic gain can be set to 130%. So whats the problem?

Analphabets who may not realize this cannot be misled as they cannot read this anyway and all others will realize this themselves.
Yes thank you, I know exactly what they do which is the purpose of my post.
Again, you have shown you do not understand basic multirotor and flight controller principles otherwise you would not make a comment about DJI Go not having attitude gain! Of course it bloody does, that's what attitude is - that's why it is under the GAIN section.
Attitude gain and basic gain are two completely different things and have different affects on flight dynamics.
Are you a politician by any chance as you seem to have a total inability to answer a question or admit when you are wrong or made a mistake?

Reactions: Arriguy
Of course it bloody does, that's what attitude is - that's why it is under the GAIN section.

Its within the Gain & Expo tuning but NOT within the Gain section

The point of my answer was that there is no word about gain in connection with the attitude setting in DJI GO. Attitude is listed under sensitivity while Gain leads only to the basic gain menu. Thats why a newbie would not assume attitude to be a gain setting.

Of course I know that attitude is a gain setting but the newbie you claim may misunderstand this will not because he will assume attitue a sensitivity setting and move on to the gain page where he can only the basic gains set to 130%.

Quick question for three OP. Off topic.
Did you fly Hawaiian airlines and if so. How was it travel with the Inspire 1. Going there in March

Quick question for three OP. Off topic.
Did you fly Hawaiian airlines and if so. How was it travel with the Inspire 1. Going there in March

NO....I flew American Airlines....but all I did was what I learned here on this Forum.

I went to Walmart and I purchased the biggest suitcase they sell, it's $79....it has 4 wheels on it and it holds the Inspire 1 case PERFECTLY!!!!

I take everything out of the inspire case except for the inspire itself and the props.

I put the camera, transmitter, and batteries inside of my carry on luggage......

I pack a few pieces of clothing around the inspire and that is all I did.

WORKED PERFECT!!!!

Kirk

Reactions: TRIPC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah