Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

FAA tests British Anti-UAV Defence System (AUDS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scotflieger, Jun 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scotflieger

slim.slamma likes this.
  2. spero

I hope it does more than jam the radio signal... Most drones can fly a set path. Jamming a signal wont stop a drone flying on a set route pre-programmed in. A couple of Florida rednecks with lawn chairs and a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 would do a better job than a jamming device.

damoncooper likes this.
  3. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

A 'set path' is no good when the UAV has neither control signal or GPS.
    The UAV can do nothing more than land (or hover until the battery depletes)

Scotflieger likes this.
  4. Rush

So this works until the first drone is manufactured that failsafe's to accelerometer control in absence of gps and signal control. Not necessarily a wise manufacturing move though, unless the gyro's and accelerometer are of such quality that they can accurately track current location, and their growing volume of uncertainty as time passes.

5. RaptorMan

If it not only jams the RC<->Drone comm but also the GPS signal it may well freeze the drone in place, but the battery will eventually die and the drone is going to come down. I'm guessing that if the FAA approves this method they may push the drone makers to have the firmware react to loss of both RC<->Drone comm and GPS by slowly descending until its landed. I'm not actually sure what my i1 would do now if it lost all RF.

Brian

6. lake_flyer

If it jams the GPS the craft would go into Atti mode. While hovering, the wind could send it many miles away (maybe even OVER the area they would like to protect) until the batteries die. I wonder if they thought of that. Unless they could take over the control signal completely they wouldn't be able to have the craft hover and stay on the same spot.
    I guess........

They say the ray is making the drone unresponsive. I fear a unresponsive drone could actually be more dangerous than a controlled drone, maybe they can shoot it down once it's over a safe area.

#6 lake_flyer, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    damoncooper likes this.
  7. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

A little off topic but.......has anyone considered that the latest firmware (which changed the 2.4ghz encryption) may have actually been implemented to comply and pander to the FAA so that taking control of the FHSS data stream is made easier for authorities?
    Hmmmmm???????

damoncooper likes this.
  8. InspiredOne

IGNORANT ALERT!

So will the (U.S.) AUDS signal abruptly end at five miles out from its point of origin around airports? Have we learned how to send out light rays (visible and/or radio) that end at a predetermined distance?

9. damoncooper

I believe that's the change yes

10. RaptorMan

Yeah, our governments love the back doors now don't they -- with or without KY...

Brian

11. RaptorMan

I don't think the idea is to permanently broadcast the jamming signal, in fact the FCC has rules against that. What this system is intended to do as I understand it is to provide point defense for high value locations such as the White House or the Supper Bowl.

Brian

12. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Is that why da Vinci painted The Last Supper? :p (couldn't resist sorry.......)

13. InspiredOne

That makes sense. Thanks!