Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FDR radio mod

Reaction score
Is anyone here using the FDR Drone radio mod?
Just wondering on peoples results with this mod

Almost four weeks and still no sign of my radio. No response to email asking for a status update.

I will keep you all posted.
Hi can you tell me who you are? I just checked my email several times but can't find anyone that's been looking for me.

So I finally got my radio back from Freddy today, 21 April. He received the radio on March 22nd, so total turnaround time for this mod was just about a month. Freddy and I talked after the last exchange above and he's got some challenges with his shipping department (which he acknowledges), however he's employing laborers who need a second chance and a bit of a reboot on life, so his heart is definitely in the right place.

So on to the modification: The workmanship is superb and very clean. Freddy installed SMA connectors where the stock antennas meet the controller body. I like this much better than other mods where new holes are drilled into your remote. I ordered the 7" 7dbi antennas which look almost stock. I also ordered two 10' SMA cable extensions with roof mounting magnets in the event I ever need to fly from inside my car - I'm moving to Wyoming this summer and I hear it gets cold up there from time to time.

I took a short test flight in my yard and verified that the dual controller setup still works. I also tested penetration by flying behind some trees which typically cause me to lose a bar or two on the remote link status. Absolutely no signal degradation whatsoever, which is why I bought this mod. I'm not a distance guy by any means; I just want the extra security of a better antenna setup than stock.

So far, this mod was worth the money and the wait.

You may delete my posts. I made it clear that Feddy was not at fault. My point, which I think is fair and of value to others ordering to Australia from overseas is that if the parcel goes missing, you could be a long time without any resolution. Australia post will not compensate the person who has made the order and will only compensate the sender, and the sender has no responsibility to do anything.
I think it a reasonable point to warn people of this.

You may delete my posts. I made it clear that Feddy was not at fault. My point, which I think is fair and of value to others ordering to Australia from overseas is that if the parcel goes missing, you could be a long time without any resolution. Australia post will not compensate the person who has made the order and will only compensate the sender, and the sender has no responsibility to do anything.
I think it a reasonable point to warn people of this.
This is usual with ALL postal services since the sender is the client!
And Australia does not have the monopoly of God awful postal service - Try the Royal Mail in the UK - they take useless to a another level!!! :p

Fair enough. I guess i was just frustrated due to amount of money involved and some timelines we were operating under for our project

Update,
Freddie has been great to deal with. While my departments budget is locked until the new year, I do intend on trying to buy some of his gear again when we get more funding.
Freddie has also offered to help out with a form of sponsorship for our school and did say he was going to send me something when he sends his next parcels to Australia.

going to try again with my long range mods. Have a Itelite MaxxRange Antenna coming next week (finger crossed this will arrive).Hopefully this will work for us.

Is anyone here using the FDR Drone radio mod?
Just wondering on peoples results with this mod
I had ordered extended antennas, after 4 weeks and no response from email I filed a dispute with Paypal. Apparently the seller also ignored paypal as they received no response either. I did get my money back . I do feel for the people whos sent in radios.

O no. That's no good. Was about to order so of the extension leads and antennas. May research some alternatives

But......the controller won't connect to iPad I normally use. Tried 3 cables that work with my other controller. Looks like a dud USB on the controller. I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to send it back after all this time. :-(

I did setup the secraft tray and it's pretty cool. Poor old inspire has been a bit neglected since the mavic arrived. Charging batteries now for a spin tomorrow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanneStoc