Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Filming a Marathon?

Reaction score
Would this be a no? This is not located at a stadium, and would be a non commercial flight.

1. Can I fly a model aircraft or UAS over a stadium or sporting events for hobby or recreation?
    No. Federal law restricts UAS from flying at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nautical mile radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people during a Major League Baseball (MLB), regular or post-season National Football League (NFL), or NCAA Division I football game, or major motor speedway event. This temporary flight restriction applies to the entire U.S. domestic National Airspace System, and takes effect starting one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes. The FAA gives further detail in a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM.)

Marathons are outside, and 26.2 long if they are vip marathons like Chicago ,NY is a nono elite runners will have helicoptesr chasing them, crow is heavy, small city or special marathons you can set your self in open areas and do some filming, your timing is the key to get the peloton after that runners get scarce. I have filmed Triathlons as a hobbyist and kept my distance from athletes . Now since I got my commercial licence and my drone is registered as commercial (as I understand) I do have to obey the commercial rules, cannot fly over people, etc
Hope it helps
Mariano

Reactions: ringolong
I'd be hesitant. If you're in clear airspace the biggest thing is just staying away from people which would not be the easiest. Has the marathon hired you or are you just looking to do it more for something to cover? I'd recommend getting in contact with the marathon coordinator. If they haven't hired you they maybe would be interested in paying for some aerial content and that way you've got their authorization. Just my two cents ;)

I was just going to film it since I am running in the 5k after the start of the marathon. It would not be a commercial flight.

I did email them, and this was their reply. I think they are a little confused on the rules.

"The FAA does not allow drone filming of special events without individual permits. We will not be allowing this, police will be there to enforce it unfortunately."

I was just going to film it since I am running in the 5k after the start of the marathon. It would not be a commercial flight.

I did email them, and this was their reply. I think they are a little confused on the rules.

"The FAA does not allow drone filming of special events without individual permits. We will not be allowing this, police will be there to enforce it unfortunately."

"The FAA does not allow drone filming of special events without individual permits (That's poppycock) .
We will not be allowing this, police will be there to enforce it unfortunately." (But trying it without the event organizer's permit is more trouble that you may wish for.)

Reactions: marg2
"The FAA does not allow drone filming of special events without individual permits (That's poppycock) .
We will not be allowing this, police will be there to enforce it unfortunately." (But trying it without the event organizer's permit is more trouble that you may wish for.)

My thoughts exactly.

Marathons are pretty boring except for the finish or ending. I have done one with the promoters permission (as a donation) at the beginning and ending. I used my Inspire 1 X5 with a 45mm lens which gave me the opportunity to be far enough away as not to be flying over people. Plus mine started at sunrise which did not help the lighting. I only took stills.

marathon.jpg

Thats cool! I am hoping for a sunny start, but it is at 7:45am so it may be a low light filming.

I was hoping to be a little lower, and off to the side so that runners could see themselves start, but it seems like I will have to be high, and far away unless I convince them to allow me to be there.

I always enjoy looking at footage of races that I run in.

Reactions: SanCap
Thats cool! I am hoping for a sunny start, but it is at 7:45am so it may be a low light filming.

I was hoping to be a little lower, and off to the side so that runners could see themselves start, but it seems like I will have to be high, and far away unless I convince them to allow me to be there.

I always enjoy looking at footage of races that I run in.

The 45mm really has some reach, you can see the first place finisher here with his time.

marathon2.jpg

The problem is there is another rule that says you're not allowed to fly near crowds of 5000 +. But I think it's questionable whether it's really 'near' or 'over'.

if you stay off to the side and don't fly OVER any crowds (you should always avoid flying over anyone as much as possible anyway), you should be fine.

Having said that, whenever I fly near large groups of people, someone ALWAYS calls 911 (I'm in a metro area) and shortly thereafter the Police helicopter comes (has happened to me more than once), then the police cars. Since I'm 333 exempt the only issue was that I had to land to show my paperwork. Then I was cleared to go back up.

The point is that you'll definitely attract attention and will probably be approached by someone. Doing it as a hobby, I believe is now restricted to flying fields by the FAA, so I don't know what issue that may cause, but if the police show up and you don't have a 333 exemption that may be a problem.

The problem is there is another rule that says you're not allowed to fly near crowds of 5000 +. But I think it's questionable whether it's really 'near' or 'over'.

if you stay off to the side and don't fly OVER any crowds (you should always avoid flying over anyone as much as possible anyway), you should be fine.

Having said that, whenever I fly near large groups of people, someone ALWAYS calls 911 (I'm in a metro area) and shortly thereafter the Police helicopter comes (has happened to me more than once), then the police cars. Since I'm 333 exempt the only issue was that I had to land to show my paperwork. Then I was cleared to go back up.

The point is that you'll definitely attract attention and will probably be approached by someone. Doing it as a hobby, I believe is now restricted to flying fields by the FAA, so I don't know what issue that may cause, but if the police show up and you don't have a 333 exemption that may be a problem.

Where is this other rule regarding 5000+ people? Hobbyists are restricted to flying fields only??? Where is this coming from?

Last edited:
I was filming marathon in Europe, but never directly above the people, and everything was fine.

Video snimanje iz zraka (see the third video "Homo Si Tec 2016 - Rijeka")

There was also another drone hired (some shots in this video), but I'm not very happy about that, since it was going above the people and close to them (although not directly over the crowd).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb