Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Finally finished reading the entire FAR Part 107...

Congrats -- how long did it take to complete the course and what is the passing requirements? I'd guess you need 100% and if you miss a question your fed back to the source material and given another chance to pass it -- is that about right?

I'm guessing these are kind of like the OSHA tests...

Brian

Correct.

Your local FSDO or FAA Designated Pilot Examiner.

Or you can print it yourself if you utilize a local CFI. CFI are far more common than DPE, probably less expensive than a DPE and for many pilots far closer than a FSDO.

Quote: If using IACRA and the applicant is utilizing a CFI as the FAA representative, the applicant can print their own temporary airman certificate after receiving an email from the FAA notifying them that it is available.

I believe most will find using a CFI the easiest, less expensive and probably the quickest method.

Reactions: SanCap
Or you can print it yourself if you utilize a local CFI. CFI are far more common than DPE, probably less expensive than a DPE and for many pilots far closer than a FSDO.

Quote: If using IACRA and the applicant is utilizing a CFI as the FAA representative, the applicant can print their own temporary airman certificate after receiving an email from the FAA notifying them that it is available.

I believe most will find using a CFI the easiest, less expensive and probably the quickest method.

From what I read the CFI can not issue the temp. They have to send it into the FAA and then the FAA will send the applicant an email with a temp to print. Sounds like another 2-4 weeks vs getting a temp immediately if one goes to the local FSDO. Or am I missing something?

It it is all electronic after the CFI submission.

Most likely you will have a wait time of several weeks for the FSDO as they will not really want to do it at that level as they are quite busy.

It is kind of like going to the White House to get your parking ticket validated. While they can probably do it there it is below their station.

An FAA inspector at a FSDO oversees initial accident reports, pilot deviations, DPE, flight schools, aviation maintenance facilities, charter companies, etc. All dealing with REAL airplanes. They do not normally deal with 16 year olds wanting to put drone videos on YouTube.

Sure you can take the attitude that it is a real aircraft because the FAA says even a paper airplane is an aircraft. But if you do I would suggest that you also insist on an appointment with the District Office Chief. I am sure she would be glad to process your temp. and would be amused with the paper airplane observation. Just make sure you do not tell her it was my suggestion.

You could even visit the FAA in DC and have Mike Huerta take care of it for you. After all you pay his salary and taking it to a CFI might cost you $20 and a DPE will probably charge you $50.

All joking aside, sure you can make the three hour drive to Tampa FSDO, it is your right to do so. I just want you to try and understand what you are requesting.

"All joking aside, sure you can make the three hour drive to Tampa FSDO, it is your right to do so. I just want you to try and understand what you are requesting."

Dave what I am requesting is one of the ways the FAA suggested we complete our application, visit your local FSDO. Just like I have done so many times in the past regarding Part 61,65, and 91operations as an A&P, IA, DOM for a 135 operation. It also gives me an opportunity to have a face to face with my Principle Inspector and people I work with regarding my 333 exemption. All I see is positives.

You may give photos and video away, and others may profit from it. "Intent" has a lot to do with it.

Posting a video on YouTube would be a violation. Even if you don't receive compensation, YouTube profits from videos.

The courts have already ruled that images that reveal or have intrinsic value not previously identified at the time of capture does not retroactively classify the gathering as a commercial operation.

I went through the summary of 107 and I have an issue with one of the 'can not' rules.

Under part 107 it says you can not fly within a covered structure.

Does that mean inside a building? Or under say a picnic shelter type structure?

I thought the FAA was only in charge of open air, not inside buildings. I DO a lot of commercial real estate and fly inside buildings sometimes, then fly out a large window or doorway to give the viewer perspective. This rule would squash that, except that I don't think FAA has the authority to prevent us from flying inside.

I've also been asked to use the drone in a warehouse to inventory items that are high up on shelves that would take hours to do using conventional fork lift or cherry picker methods.

Reactions: Eric
Yes, certified pilots, other than students, can do a free on line course to add Remote pilot to their certificate. It does not apply to non-certified pilots. They must take a written test every two years. A certified pilot must do a flight review every two years.

A certified pilot already has received training and evaluation regarding airspace, risk management, aeronautical decision making, weather, NOTAM, TFR, etc.

Dave: Just a question of clarification, I believe the FAA uses the term "current" for part 61 pilots -- so you can be a "certified pilot" but if you are not current (as in completing a flight review within the previous 24 months) then you cannot take the on-line test. See e.g. page 579/580.

Do you agree?
Thanks
Andy

Dave: Just a question of clarification, I believe the FAA uses the term "current" for part 61 pilots -- so you can be a "certified pilot" but if you are not current (as in completing a flight review within the previous 24 months) then you cannot take the on-line test. See e.g. page 579/580.

Do you agree?
Thanks
Andy

That is correct, you must of had a flight review in the last 24 months.

That is correct, you must of had a flight review in the last 24 months.
You can take the online course and test but, if you are not a current licensed pilot (having a BFR in the past 24 months), you have to take the sUAS knowledge test at a FAA approved testing center. I talked to the local testing center here in Concord CA and they said the test won't be available until September.

I took the online course and exam for the 107 yesterday and it does state that FSDO will "Designate" someone else to issue the Temporary Remote Pilot Certificate. Then I called my local FSDO and yep, they will be designating someone, meaning that FSDO will not be issuing the Temp Certificate themselves. I didn't get an answer as to who that might be.
Also, they said that CFIs will probably have an electronic method of verifying your ID and BFR (for part 61 certified pilots) by August so it could be as little as a couple of days to get your certificate through a CFI (via email). If it's the same CFI that does you BFR, he or she may do it for free (the CFI I use said he would do it for free since he is the one to do my BFR every time). He likes being an instructor and never went for a commercial job.

A friend of mine said that he tried to pass the online exam and it wouldn't let him go back to correct the questions he missed, but he did miss 10 of them so maybe it depends on how good or bad you score. I guess it could be that he missed some in two tries then it shut him down? (I won't ask that one). He will probably be able to go back and try it again when he logs in next time but I told him he should do a little more studying and research the source material first. Lol
I would say that if you can pass it in the first two rounds, it should work.

I made mine the first go round but I researched the source material first (for the two questions I wasn't sure about), after the exam it asked me to do a survey before they would let me print my certificate. I guess that's one way of making sure they get the feedback they want eh? :) It's nope! No certificate till you fill out that survey!!! HaHa!!

Another thing is that the application for the temporary certificate won't be available until August so the online course and exam certificate is as far as you can go for now but that's it for part 61 pilots except for the application and a visit to your FSDO, CFI or ?
Oh, and FSDO said that you can take the online course and exam even if you haven't had your BFR (as long as you get it done before you fill out the application in August) The friend I mentioned hasn't had his BFR for nearly 10 years, he needs to get with it! He is a great VO though. He tried at least three times to get his PPL, he is a very determined fella, I'll give him that.
He knows I'm writing about him, he's sitting across the table from me right now and he's chuckling as he studies for his exam! Lol :) Great attitude! We do have fun! :)

Oh, I'm still not sure exactly how my 333 will affect me just yet. I do know that you can fly over people as long as they are part of the crew "OR' you have written consent from those being filmed as active participants. You still need a waiver for TV or Motion Picture closed sets but you can do things like virtual tour videos for online stuff as long as there aren't too many participants or you can provide reasonable safe cover for them. The active VO crew has to be informed to shout out "Take Cover" to the other participants if needed. Still no word as to how many is too many.
I think they have a few kinks and bugs to work out like there is no determination for exactly how long your drone can be behind an obstruction, it just says "Briefly" and obtain VLOS ASAP (as soon as practical or.......immediately, wonder which one it's supposed to be? Maybe they realize most people are going to do as they please within reason either way).

Well.......for now, that's all I know about the 107 except for the major book they wrote about it.

I just took on a job doing virtual tour videos for 23 local parks (2 cities). It's for their websites. I made videos of 6 parks 3 years ago but they postponed any more till they finished with the upfits and building new ones. They finally finished them so now it's time for me to go back to it.
Most of the filming will be ground level using a motorized pan and tilt system, a MOVI, a dolly and track system, my lighting and audio recording gear (Zoom 4n and a couple of unidirectional shotgun mics for sound effects) and an OSMO Raw but all of the parks will have at least a small amount of aerials with the Inspires. 1 is huge so I'll be renting my newest favorite airplane, the RemosGX. What a sweet little 2 seater sport plane!! For those of you who have a current pilot's license (with current medical and BFR that is, the license itself never expires), you should try out the RemosGX! Sport pilots can fly them too as they are classified as LSA. I just like the way they handle and there's lots of door glass, not to mention the doors can be completely removed, great for video if you have a good gyro system, it's far better than any 152 or 172 I've ever flown! $105 an hour wet! Not bad at all!
2 of the parks are large sports complexes, I'll have to do the aerials on days during the week when there are no games.
Looks like I will be pretty busy for a while.

Joe

Last edited:
Just to answer a few point.

Ryan: You are incorrect on "intent". Let's say I offer to fly you to Miami for "FREE", no charge, because I am a nice guy. Yet you decide to give me a great tip upon arrival? I did not intend to get paid. The FAA would not look kindly on our little "arrangement". The FAA intends that you be a certified remote pilot if ANYONE profits from your efforts. Beside why would you want to do something that is clearly illegal, for no compensation, on a public venue such as YouTube if you are not certified? What could possibly be in it for you? If you "intend" to do this clearly illegal activity I would certainly stop talking about it here or on any other public forum.

Steve: Part 107 does not apply under cover, so it is prohibited. That does not mean you can not operate under cover, but if you do so you are not operating under part 107. At least that is how I read it.

Joe: If the FSDO designates someone it will be a DPE, and a DPE will charge a fee most likely. I would expect about $50. They can not designate a CFI as CFI do not work for the FAA, of course neither does a DPE, but they are more directly controlled than a CFI. A CFI may charge nothing if part of a Flight Review, or a per hour rate for his or hers time, I would expect this to be the most inexpensive route. The CFI will check your ID and your Flight Review and certify that you are current and that you are who you say you are.

If your friend failed the test 10 times, then he certainly has a problem reading and retaining what he read. He is likely to have a hard time understanding how he can retake the test as well.

Your 333 is still in effect and since you have a waiver for TV and motion picture closed set, you will have things you can do under your 333 waiver that you can not do under Part 107. Your 333 waiver will not be renewed on it's renewal date. You will need to request a Part 107 waiver for renewal.

A remote pilot does not need a current medical, only a Driver's License is required. Driver's license does require a hearing and eye test which is adequate to prove that you are fit to fly a UAS or a light sport aircraft for that matter.

Chuck: If processed by a CFI, he does not issue a temporary on the spot. Instead it is emailed to the Remote Pilot who then prints out his own temporary, I would expect this process to be quick, but it is still an unknown. The testing centers do not know anything about this yet and will not know until the test is available. They might make a "guess" that if it is not legal until August then the test will not be available till September, but the reality is no one is talking to the testing location yet about this, so I would not give much weight to their guesses.

You do not have to have a current Flight Review to take the test, you do have to have a current flight review to do the 8710-13 with your CFI.

Last edited:
Yes, there are some smaller details such as required maintenance, preflight preparation, accident reporting with serious injury or property damage totaling over $500 (not counting the value of the UA). It includes how to calculate the dollar amount of the property damage using the lessor of the fair market value of the property or the repair cost.

You also have to be physically and mentally fit and 16 and older.

Also it does not apply to recreational use. Those operators that are not doing this for profit or hire there are no changes. But remember you do not need to be the one making a profit. If you GIVE a video, photo, etc. to someone and they in turn sell it, it is considered a commercial operation. Without a remote pilot certificate you could not give a video to a new station, who then makes a profit off of the video in the form of advertising, subscription, etc.

Obtaining a remote pilot certificate is pretty straight forward, requires no lawyers and is fairly quick (10 days). I does require recurrency training every two years which will cost about $150 if you are not already a certificate pilot other than student.

For certificated pilots, other than students, you need to take a free online course number ALC-451 which should be available at faasafety.gov. With this certificate, identification, current flight review and a visit to an Certified Flight Instructor you can get a remote pilot certificate.

If anyone needs more details I will be happy to explain.

I appreciate your help. I have been trying to figure out how I register for the airworthyness test. I found a chart with locations of testing centers put out by the FAA. I called the number for my location, Columbus, Ohio...and the person who answered had no idea what I was talking about and gave me the impression that she could care less when I tried to ask follow up questions.

It looks to me as though the follow up steps for us to become "legal" to make a few bucks with this part 107 are really vague. I would like to know exactly who to call or what next steps would be. Currently, all I'm hearing is "wait until August." I would really like to be able to fly/shoot for clients by this September...ready and willing to take any test or become vetted by whomever...I'm not seeing any real clear procedures in place.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.

Dave, can you point to the exact wording in the rules that says you are forbidden to GIVE a video or photo if the recipient can profit from it.

Also, can you illuminate the various "pilot" ratings required? A remote pilot certificate does not sound like a traditional private pilots license and suggests that it is a lessor rating that permits commercial drone operation but not flying a manned plane or helicopter.

Brian

I got called in by the FAA and was told in no uncertain terms that I could not give video/photos to clients or groups and not charge for this. I was included in an article published recently in Columbus CEO Magazine dealing with commercial use of drones. The FAA called me in as a result. I was formally warned that enforcment would follow. But they also told me all this would go away with Part 107 if I pursue this.

Drone use for Columbus businesses to soar after FAA releases commercial-friendly rules

Hi, I do commercial aerial work here in the UK and I have the appropriate certification from the Civil Aviation Authority.

Is there a possibility that I could apply for certification in the USA under then new rules?

Cheers,

I got called in by the FAA and was told in no uncertain terms that I could not give video/photos to clients or groups and not charge for this. I was included in an article published recently in Columbus CEO Magazine dealing with commercial use of drones. The FAA called me in as a result. I was formally warned that enforcment would follow. But they also told me all this would go away with Part 107 if I pursue this.

Drone use for Columbus businesses to soar after FAA releases commercial-friendly rules

I'm not sure on what legal basis the FAA can prohibit you from giving your images away even if it can later generate income. It seems they are simply trying to plug a loophole with commercial drone operation but the plug does not appear to be legal and is unlikely to stand up to judicial scrutiny if someone with deep pockets were to challenge them. Of course, like a lot of these things, radar detectors in Virginia for example, the idea is that the average Joe will not have the time or money to fight it and rich guys are few enough to be statistically insignificant...

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb