Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware update question

Reaction score
I just had one of my Inspire1 Pro's returned by DJI after 4 months in repair (long story).

Needless to say, it will not link with the RC, which also needs a firmware update.

The whitepaper with the 06-13 release says update the AC first. In the past, I had always updated the RC first.

The AC is in travel mode, so attaching the gimbal is awkward, but I can do that, if indeed the AC needs to be updated first.

Since I presently can't connect the RC to the AC, I just wanted to be doubly sure I was doing these updates in the correct order.

Thanks!

Thanks, but, …

Put the new bin file on the card in the camera, and powered up the AC. It turns on, the green light on the camera flashes a few times, but there is no red flashing, no gimbal dance, and no beeps of updating. The AC is just ‘on’, with the blue light, and the gimbal hangs lifeless. The AC is in travel mode position, as shipped back to me. Would this mode inhibit the normal gimbal activity and sensing of the new bin file?

The reason for the "update AC first" instruction is precisely that if you leave the AC packed in the box and update RC first you'll lose connection and not be able to lower the AC's landing gear. If you update AC first the first thing you'll do is put it out of travel mode while it still works and avoid the problem.
Order doesn't matter beyond that.

Update should work in travel mode.

Well, this RC and AC were paired when the AC went in for repair.

The AC was returned in travel mode and will no longer pair with the RC. Hence the dilemma.

When I try to pair, the Link request just times out, no matter how many times or how long I hold the tiny button in the AC's nose. I suspect they can't pair due to firmware differences.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, this RC and AC were paired when the AC went in for repair.

The AC was returned in travel mode and will no longer pair with the RC. Hence the dilemma.

When I try to pair, the Link request just times out, no matter how many times or how long I hold the tiny button in the AC's nose. I suspect they can't pair due to firmware differences.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried putting the firmware on a flash drive like it used to be? Not sure if that will still work or not, as when my V 2.0 came, it wouldn't let me update in that manner, and required me to update the RC via the app. You can try that, make sure your Go App is updated and mobile device connected to the internet, hook your mobile device to the RC like normal, and see if you can launch the Go App and update the firmware.. not sure if it will work though.

Well, I am more concerned about updating the AC first, per the instructions. I am pretty sure I can update the RC when the time comes. I think my next step is to contact DJI and see what version of the firmware my AC shipped with, and then match my RC to that.

Okay, short answer, after conferring with DJI, AC and RC being returned for further repair (or "re-pair", pun intended!)

Since I have a second, identical craft, I was able to confirm a couple of things:

First, I did successfully upgrade my second craft using the same BIN and gimbal as I was using on the repaired unit, so those components are in working order.

Second, in Travel Mode, the gimbal dance/initialization just does not happen, even in my good craft. Likely, travel mode inhibits gimbal activity, as one would expect.

Perhaps the firmware on the repaired AC does not match the RC, but I can't confirm this since I have no way to query the AC's status. Seems weird that a firmware mismatch would prevent linking components, however.

Hey, DJI, how hard would it be to have a cable port on the AC so that the RC could query/command it over a hard link? Seems that feature might be useful for exiting Travel Mode, querying craft, synchronizing software , establishing linking frequencies, and who knows what else...(obviously not for flying!). There is that extra micro usb port on the RC... Just a thought!

Reactions: arcaine25
Yes, I did try that, but on an RC linked to another AC. I didn't try to update the rogue RC b/c of the concern to update the AC first. DJI wanted it back with the AC as is.

The other RC wouldn't update from the USB directly or when I put the bin file in the gimbal and corded the RC to the gimbal (there is a paper on DJI's site that says to try that!). Updating the RC through the app has worked for me the last few times with no worries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207