Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware Update resulting in crash

Reaction score
Website
darlingtonimages.com
1. When I left the house yesterday, the controller and the DJI Go app were up to date. Since the last update involved the aircraft and camera and was completed, I did not bother to turn on the aircraft at home to be certain there were no further updates.
2. When I got into the field and turned everything on, I received the message "Aircraft and Camera Updates required."
3. I performed a field operation to update the firmware on the aircraft and camera by directly plugging in the camera to the control and powering it on.
4. Once it seemed completed, I turned everything off, plugged the controller back into the Galaxy Note. At first the app still said, "Aircraft and Camera Updates required." Then, a green light came on and it said "Safe to Fly."
5. I launched and it seemed in control at first, then it started gravitating off course. I flew around a few trees and then flew to the back of the expansive church parking lot. In general I felt pretty in control with a margin of 1 to 2 feet in either horizontal direction.
6. I brought the aircraft back towards me, then something seemed to go wrong. It starting migrating toward a tree. It fought me when I tried to pull it away, then it rose a few feet and clipped some branches. Once it clipped the branches, it got tangled and came straight down to the pavement.

The arm of the gimbal that leads into the back of the camera has snapped off. Unfortunately there are no parts available for the gimbal arm... the whole camera unit needs replacement.

1. When I left the house yesterday, the controller and the DJI Go app were up to date. Since the last update involved the aircraft and camera and was completed, I did not bother to turn on the aircraft at home to be certain there were no further updates.
2. When I got into the field and turned everything on, I received the message "Aircraft and Camera Updates required."
3. I performed a field operation to update the firmware on the aircraft and camera by directly plugging in the camera to the control and powering it on.
4. Once it seemed completed, I turned everything off, plugged the controller back into the Galaxy Note. At first the app still said, "Aircraft and Camera Updates required." Then, a green light came on and it said "Safe to Fly."
5. I launched and it seemed in control at first, then it started gravitating off course. I flew around a few trees and then flew to the back of the expansive church parking lot. In general I felt pretty in control with a margin of 1 to 2 feet in either horizontal direction.
6. I brought the aircraft back towards me, then something seemed to go wrong. It starting migrating toward a tree. It fought me when I tried to pull it away, then it rose a few feet and clipped some branches. Once it clipped the branches, it got tangled and came straight down to the pavement.

The arm of the gimbal that leads into the back of the camera has snapped off. Unfortunately there are no parts available for the gimbal arm... the whole camera unit needs replacement.
If as you say your firmware was up to date why did you plug your camera into the remote control?
Have you read the release notes for the last two firmware updates? It is clearly stated that updating firmware this way is no longer supported.
Aircraft updated through .bin file with everything else powered down.
R/C updated through app.
Your firmware update didn't result in a crash - I'm afraid YOU were the cause of the crash.
What were your mod values prior to take off?

Sucks for you, oppsote is true for me, first day the sun has been out in ages and I took the x5 out in heavy wind, did well.
Like i said before, you crash this thing be prepared for a new gimbal.

Keep it, buy another, when they do parts for it, get it fixed THEN sell it. Look at it as an investment, but of luck you only lose a few hundred.
If you need a stock lens 1 sell you one cheap.

If as you say your firmware was up to date why did you plug your camera into the remote control?
Have you read the release notes for the last two firmware updates? It is clearly stated that updating firmware this way is no longer supported.
Aircraft updated through .bin file with everything else powered down.
R/C updated through app.
Your firmware update didn't result in a crash - I'm afraid YOU were the cause of the crash.
What were your mod values prior to take off?

... was not aware of not being able to use past workflow of plugging into the remote. Perhaps release notes should have language such as "DO NOT PLUG YOUR CAMERA INTO THE REMOTE CONTROL" and as I said, prior to launch I received a safe to fly message. Still resulted in aircraft being uncontrollable. My biggest beef is that any connectivity to wifi of the Go App can result in a firmware updates required scenario. This is very bad when it comes to a 5AM work call on a busy schedule and not being aware of any new firmware updates, where system worked perfectly before. This was my experience on 12/8 when I went on a gig, with whole film crew waiting for golden hour shot in Angeles Crest Mountains. Lost $1,000 that day and blew the shoot schedule for production. Not good, DJI. Needs improvement. Now I know to turn wifi off until all firmware bugs resolved.

Forgetting the "new update method" for a second, how would you expect this to do any good? The new firmware file wouldn't magically appear on your camera's SD card, you kinda need to download it from the website and put it on it first.

But the good thing is that it means you actually changed nothing before flying, so for sure your crash has nothing to do with firmware updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms

Forgive me for asking the obvious question. Did you do an IMU calibration on a level, vibration free surface, with a cold A/C?

Reactions: Zoltán 77
... was not aware of not being able to use past workflow of plugging into the remote. Perhaps release notes should have language such as "DO NOT PLUG YOUR CAMERA INTO THE REMOTE CONTROL" and as I said, prior to launch I received a safe to fly message. Still resulted in aircraft being uncontrollable. My biggest beef is that any connectivity to wifi of the Go App can result in a firmware updates required scenario. This is very bad when it comes to a 5AM work call on a busy schedule and not being aware of any new firmware updates, where system worked perfectly before. This was my experience on 12/8 when I went on a gig, with whole film crew waiting for golden hour shot in Angeles Crest Mountains. Lost $1,000 that day and blew the shoot schedule for production. Not good, DJI. Needs improvement. Now I know to turn wifi off until all firmware bugs resolved.
What would possess you to attempt a firmware update on the morning of a shoot without being able to test your aircraft afterwards? Why would you even attempt this?
The crash is likely to be caused by bad aircraft prep and non adherance to a comprehensive checklist prior to take off.
You didn't answer the question as to what your mod values were immediately prior to going airborne.
I maybe wrong but...... I am going to assume you maybe did a compass calibration in the car park?

What would possess you to attempt a firmware update on the morning of a shoot without being able to test your aircraft afterwards? Why would you even attempt this?
The crash is likely to be caused by bad aircraft prep and non adherance to a comprehensive checklist prior to take off.
You didn't answer the question as to what your mod values were immediately prior to going airborne.
I maybe wrong but...... I am going to assume you maybe did a compass calibration in the car park?

As I mentioned, it's been a very busy schedule with gigs all the way to Christmas day. Forgive my lack in response time. My MOD values were 0 | .99-1.01 | 1400-1600... these are standard and what I'm used to flying. The crash was not caused by bad aircraft prep. Compass calibration was achieved successfully. Safe to Fly was active and Green. As far as the comment about "attempting a firmware update before a shoot" ... your a staff member and asking me this question? Do you fly and Inspire 1? If you don't update, prior and there is a firmware update... you are grounded. Period. This is an obvious flaw flow the DJI camp. If a firmware update comes down the pike they should give us a choice to update later. My workflow involves always being up on WiFi. So if I get near a hotspot or production wifi, that firmware shut down gets in my system.

As I mentioned, it's been a very busy schedule with gigs all the way to Christmas day. Forgive my lack in response time. My MOD values were 0 | .99-1.01 | 1400-1600... these are standard and what I'm used to flying. The crash was not caused by bad aircraft prep. Compass calibration was achieved successfully. Safe to Fly was active and Green. As far as the comment about "attempting a firmware update before a shoot" ... your a staff member and asking me this question? Do you fly and Inspire 1? If you don't update, prior and there is a firmware update... you are grounded. Period. This is an obvious flaw flow the DJI camp. If a firmware update comes down the pike they should give us a choice to update later. My workflow involves always being up on WiFi. So if I get near a hotspot or production wifi, that firmware shut down gets in my system.
I'm sorry but clearly you do not have an understanding of how firmware updates are implemented from DJI.
I have flown an Inspire before - a few times.
Nobody should attempt a firmware update the day of a commercial shoot. In fact, I would go as far as to say that practice is irresponsible to a degree since you are not afforded an opportunity to get a number of test flights in (or calibrate your batteries if so required)
If a firmware release is made today you can update in three years time if you want to. NOTHING prevents you from flying if you do not update. I have no idea where you get that notion. The only exception to this is if DJI decide to implement a mandatory update. There have been none since the IMU problem after initial release over 9 months ago.
So you did compass calibrate in the car park......?

Reactions: Kilrah
Another effective argument to not do firmware updates unless there is a huge leap forward in technology is implemented and force yourself 3 pre flights prior to a job to flush out any concerns. Just because the GO app mentions a needes update does not mean you absolutely need to do it. As for install procedure...read the associated update notes before each install to see if the "product" applies to your way of flying. In Southern California v1.6 is a total waste of time but might benefit people in cold regions. With v1.4 I bricked a controller with updating using Android GO but it flushed out with Apple GO...got lucky as DJI declined on bench time at their expense.

I'm sorry but clearly you do not have an understanding of how firmware updates are implemented from DJI.
I have flown an Inspire before - a few times.
Nobody should attempt a firmware update the day of a commercial shoot. In fact, I would go as far as to say that practice is irresponsible to a degree since you are not afforded an opportunity to get a number of test flights in (or calibrate your batteries if so required)
If a firmware release is made today you can update in three years time if you want to. NOTHING prevents you from flying if you do not update. I have no idea where you get that notion. The only exception to this is if DJI decide to implement a mandatory update. There have been none since the IMU problem after initial release over 9 months ago.
So you did compass calibrate in the car park......?

I understand your need to defend DJI since you are the editor and staff member of this forum but why are you here if you've only flown the Inspire a few times? The title says "Inspire Pilots." You say I do not have an understanding of firmware updates, but I do know this-- I've flown this aircraft for more than 115 successful flights and each time there IS a firmware update the aircraft WILL NOT fly, with a very clear message in the Go app "Firmware Updates Required." The flight mode is RED "Disconnected" with a not safe to fly message. So unless you're referring to flying in ATTI mode-- my aircraft won't fly without the update.

As to the 'update the day of commercial shoot' comment... flight tests were conducted two nights before and the day before the shoot with all four batteries charged and ready. Aircraft, RC, Go and batteries were current. The following morning went to location, unbeknownst to me DJI had a firmware release that day, creating Firmware Updates Required scenario described in the above paragraph. Oddly, all four batteries were below 50% when powered on with flying not recommended message and discharge/ recharge recommended. Given there was very unequal flying time on these batteries, I found that unique. The aircraft was not flown on that day. The client was understanding but not happy.

The fact that you ask "you did compass calibrate in the car park?" tells me your skimming through these to provide pushback on some of these incidents to avoid DJI negativity on their brand. Besides already answering that question, that is a standard troubleshoot phrase way overused. I never fly without calibration. It's part of my due diligent preflight checklist.

Finally, your tone in these posts I find condescending and unprofessional. You appear to attack my experience and knowledge as if you are some kind of expert on the matter. Need I remind you none of us are experts in this field yet and anyone who claims to be is fooling themselves. We are all learning daily from the adjustments to software, hardware and flights gone wrong and gone right. I'm an experienced pilot, my company has received its 333 Exemption for flying the Inspire commercially. I've had this aircraft since May of this year and literally flown it 2 - 3 times a week since. I hope you'll consider showing a little more respect to future like-minded posts. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't feel strongly about this.

I understand your need to defend DJI since you are the editor and staff member of this forum but why are you here if you've only flown the Inspire a few times? The title says "Inspire Pilots." You say I do not have an understanding of firmware updates, but I do know this-- I've flown this aircraft for more than 115 successful flights and each time there IS a firmware update the aircraft WILL NOT fly, with a very clear message in the Go app "Firmware Updates Required." The flight mode is RED "Disconnected" with a not safe to fly message. So unless you're referring to flying in ATTI mode-- my aircraft won't fly without the update.

As to the 'update the day of commercial shoot' comment... flight tests were conducted two nights before and the day before the shoot with all four batteries charged and ready. Aircraft, RC, Go and batteries were current. The following morning went to location, unbeknownst to me DJI had a firmware release that day, creating Firmware Updates Required scenario described in the above paragraph. Oddly, all four batteries were below 50% when powered on with flying not recommended message and discharge/ recharge recommended. Given there was very unequal flying time on these batteries, I found that unique. The aircraft was not flown on that day. The client was understanding but not happy.

The fact that you ask "you did compass calibrate in the car park?" tells me your skimming through these to provide pushback on some of these incidents to avoid DJI negativity on their brand. Besides already answering that question, that is a standard troubleshoot phrase way overused. I never fly without calibration. It's part of my due diligent preflight checklist.

Finally, your tone in these posts I find condescending and unprofessional. You appear to attack my experience and knowledge as if you are some kind of expert on the matter. Need I remind you none of us are experts in this field yet and anyone who claims to be is fooling themselves. We are all learning daily from the adjustments to software, hardware and flights gone wrong and gone right. I'm an experienced pilot, my company has received its 333 Exemption for flying the Inspire commercially. I've had this aircraft since May of this year and literally flown it 2 - 3 times a week since. I hope you'll consider showing a little more respect to future like-minded posts. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't feel strongly about this.
OK.......
First of all I DO NOT work for DJI, nor do I have affiliation with them in any way or do I receive consideration from them or any of their subsidiary's.
Secondly, I was being sarcastic (comprehension of which eludes many) when I said I have flown the Inspire a few times. I can guarantee I have flown the aircraft more times than yourself - I am a beta tester for DJI and I have direct access to their R&D personnel as well as operating the platform commercially.
Thirdly, look at my number of posts on this forum in conjunction with the number of likes so I can probably say I know a little bit about the platform we are discussing here.
Fourthly, as stated above, I operate commercially and have full CAA permission to do so throughout the United Kingdom.
Fifth, the reason I asked whether you compass calibrated in the car park has nothing to do with skimming, its because you STILL had not answered that part of my question.
Now that you have I can advise that it is NOT a good idea to do this at all and this is what probably contributed to your crash - you introduced an error by calibrating in a car park possibly with rebar below.
Sixth, you are totally wrong in your statement that when a firmware release is pushed through to the public the aircraft will not fly - of course it will and its perfectly safe to.
Seventh, I make no apology for my tone, since updating minutes before a commercial shoot is not responsible and totally unnecessary (as I have stated) and I could say the same regarding your comment regarding whether I have flown the Inspire that much. :rolleyes:
Lastly - you were also unaware of not being able to update the remote through the USB port anymore which shows you have not read the release notes - again, not expected from a commercial operator.
It seems this is not the first time you have attempted an update on the day of a shoot. On November 30th, apparently you lost a job because you updated again whilst in front of the client and then couldn't get the controller to work!

OK.......
First of all I DO NOT work for DJI, nor do I have affiliation with them in any way or do I receive consideration from them or any of their subsidiary's.
Secondly, I was being sarcastic (comprehension of which eludes many) when I said I have flown the Inspire a few times. I can guarantee I have flown the aircraft more times than yourself - I am a beta tester for DJI and I have direct access to their R&D personnel as well as operating the platform commercially.
Thirdly, look at my number of posts on this forum in conjunction with the number of likes so I can probably say I know a little bit about the platform we are discussing here.
Fourthly, as stated above, I operate commercially and have full CAA permission to do so throughout the United Kingdom.
Fifth, the reason I asked whether you compass calibrated in the car park has nothing to do with skimming, its because you STILL had not answered that part of my question.
Now that you have I can advise that it is NOT a good idea to do this at all and this is what probably contributed to your crash - you introduced an error by calibrating in a car park possibly with rebar below.
Sixth, you are totally wrong in your statement that when a firmware release is pushed through to the public the aircraft will not fly - of course it will and its perfectly safe to.
Seventh, I make no apology for my tone, since updating minutes before a commercial shoot is not responsible and totally unnecessary (as I have stated) and I could say the same regarding your comment regarding whether I have flown the Inspire that much. :rolleyes:
Lastly - you were also unaware of not being able to update the remote through the USB port anymore which shows you have not read the release notes - again, not expected from a commercial operator.

Again, your missing the point. I think you have a comprehension problem, that along with your arrogance will never get you a job in my circles because I no longer respect your opinion.

Flown in this parking lot several times before, never had magnetic issues with embedded rebar.
Whatever gave you the impression I updated minutes before a shoot? I never said that. You did not read my reply. Updated 2 days before, followed by several test flights. You are a sloppy reader.
I stand by my statement that when a firmware release is pushed through to the public the aircraft will not fly... In my case, that IS happening, as verified by DJI tech support for this aircraft.
On one point you are correct- I was unaware of not being able to update the remote through the USB port anymore because I missed that in the release notes - but I'm a little surprised you knew that, given your reading comprehension skills. FYI I did answer the calibration question in the 11:42am post.

I think the obvious clue is it flew okay on launch, tested the winds in ATTI mode - mild/ in control, when back in GPS the aircraft lost its mind

Again, your missing the point. I think you have a comprehension problem, that along with your arrogance will never get you a job in my circles because I no longer respect your opinion.

Flown in this parking lot several times before, never had magnetic issues with embedded rebar.
Whatever gave you the impression I updated minutes before a shoot? I never said that. You did not read my reply. Updated 2 days before, followed by several test flights. You are a sloppy reader.
I stand by my statement that when a firmware release is pushed through to the public the aircraft will not fly... In my case, that IS happening, as verified by DJI tech support for this aircraft.
On one point you are correct- I was unaware of not being able to update the remote through the USB port anymore because I missed that in the release notes - but I'm a little surprised you knew that, given your reading comprehension skills. FYI I did answer the calibration question in the 11:42am post.

I think the obvious clue is it flew okay on launch, tested the winds in ATTI mode - mild/ in control, when back in GPS the aircraft lost its mind
You are quite simply wrong - the aircraft WILL fly without a firmware update, there is no 'lockout' or prevention of flying that takes place.
What you are describing sounds like classic TBE caused by bad compass calibration and a non understanding of how the aircraft works or behaves in these circumstances.
The very fact by your own admission the Inspire flew OK in P-Atti and upon switching to P-GPS it 'lost its mind' and using phrases like 'gravitating off course' backs up my hypothesis but since you no longer respect my opinion I doubt you will take any notice and continue along your incorrect belief that the Inspire is grounded until you perform a firmware update.

Reactions: Kilrah
At this point, allow me a chance to talk to DJI support on Monday to recreate the problem of a grounded system where Firmware Update Required

My system simply won't fly

I never asked for an apology but it's clear you have little respect other's experience

At this point, allow me a chance to talk to DJI support on Monday to recreate the problem of a grounded system where Firmware Update Required

My system simply won't fly

I never asked for an apology but it's clear you have little respect other's experience
We have over fourteen thousand members on the forum, many of which are running firmware from months ago and do not wish to update. If individuals were prevented from flying simply because DJI had released a newer version there would be an awful lot of upset Inspire owners out there!
You are mistaken in your assumption you are prevented from flying simply because the next version FW is released and it says 'Upgrade Required'

Reactions: Kilrah and PB30X
I purchased mine from BnH photo last January and have only done 2 updates,The first two.Mine flies perfect everytime!
I does show that I can do an update but I have no reason to as it works perfect.
I only do a compass reset when I move to a different take of location and when I do one I do it away from metal and concrete. From what I have read on this site I am happy to not have done a Upgrade in a long time. My new Osmo needs one so we will see how that goes.......

I don't think you understand

Mine WONT fly... Period
I've said that before but but you don't seem to comprehend this.
And that IS why I'm irked.

But give me til Monday to offer a more informed response.
I wonder why mine does not do this to me? For one: my tablet (Android) I use only has a DJI app on it nothing else and the wyfi is never turned on. This may be the issue you have. Mine never tells me to do anything I dont want to do.
I have a new Osmo with a tablet (Android) that only has the DJI app on it as well but it uses wyfi to connect to the Osmo(no usb). It does tell me to do a new update and did give me a opperating issue the other day. This is due to a turned on wifi.

Just trying to help," The Editor " may be" to the point " but he does know more about the Inspire than we do.I have seen his post help sooooo many. Its nice to have a forum to learn and try to problem solve.
These things are amazing machines and I am blown away by what they can do every time I fly.

Reactions: STClassic01

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz