Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware v1.3.0.00 Update FAILURE

Mine is "L" so I think this very well scrap that idea as far as the last letter is concerned, in fact No letter matches my model number A.
Hrm, dang, there goes that idea. How the heck can you tell for sure what version you have then?

Hrm, dang, there goes that idea. How the heck can you tell for sure what version you have then?

For sure the shipping cardboard Box it came in.. Well at least the first shipments of the Inspire.. There was a craze about the carbon fiber looks and strength. The model number A/B determined wether you had early production or post production.

So I'm not sure where this thread took off in the direction of the model build number making a difference in whether or not the Inspire would update FW correctly. As far as I know, there is only one version of the flight controller installed in all build versions, so why would the hardware differences (which are slight) make any difference in the FW upgrade?

I have had no problems at all with the FW v.1.3.0 install on the craft and controller, although I did not update controller via the new GO app, but had to use USB stick. As I understand it, subsequent FW controller updates will work through the app.

I did have to make some changes to the attitude, brake and stick expo settings to dial in my craft to my preferences, but video reception is stable out to more than 3/4 mi (which is more than I am comfortable flying anyway) and gimbal horizon, while not perfect, is better than before the update in my case.

Well, it seems as though I have hit a snag.

Trying to update to the latest 1.3.0.00 firmware and its not going to plan.

The first time I started the upgrade it went for about 30 minutes, had the usual four beeps from the gimbal and had flashing lights from the LED's under the motors and beeping from the ESC's which is normal apparently, but instead of hearing the D----D--D that I am supposed to hear after the update has been successful, I am getting a noise which closely resembles a DOT Matrix printer!

Rebooted the Inspire and it started with the update again, only this time I get the four beeps for about ten minutes and then the dreaded DOT Matrix sound occurs.

I have used two different micro SD cards. Different micro SD card adapters. Only thing I have not tried is a different computer to do the formatting and copying over of the .BIN file.

I really dont want to have to send this thing back to DJI to get it sorted!

Any ideas as to what I can try next?
I had the same thing happen on the second battery update. I simply shut it all down then re downloaded the firmware from the Dji site. Second time updated without a hitch. Are you running iOS or windows?
Test flight was flawless as was the battery drain and recharge. Hovered in ground effect until below 5% and recharge as expected.

For sure the shipping cardboard Box it came in.. Well at least the first shipments of the Inspire.. There was a craze about the carbon fiber looks and strength. The model number A/B determined wether you had early production or post production.
Well I threw that away 8 months ago, there are conflicting reports on the carbon fiber and no reliable source to back up either side of the question so who knows,

So I'm not sure where this thread took off in the direction of the model build number making a difference in whether or not the Inspire would update FW correctly. As far as I know, there is only one version of the flight controller installed in all build versions, so why would the hardware differences (which are slight) make any difference in the FW upgrade?

I have had no problems at all with the FW v.1.3.0 install on the craft and controller, although I did not update controller via the new GO app, but had to use USB stick. As I understand it, subsequent FW controller updates will work through the app.

I did have to make some changes to the attitude, brake and stick expo settings to dial in my craft to my preferences, but video reception is stable out to more than 3/4 mi (which is more than I am comfortable flying anyway) and gimbal horizon, while not perfect, is better than before the update in my case.
I've not seen any official documentation that states what's different between versions and maybe the version has nothing to do with the problem, it was just a theory since so many people have issues with update failure almost every update. There has to be a common factor and the only thing I can think of is that something about the different hardware in the different models is causing it to fail.

If you have a better theory we'd love to hear it, only response you're gonna get from dji is send it in and wait 2 months, that's just ridiculous.

Have given up with this now. Tried the various different fixes offered over various online forums. None have worked so its off to my supplier to see if they can either repair or replace it.

Took my I1 out today after the firmware update.

1st thing I like was the ability to fire up the inspire in transport mode & fit the gimbal while the inspire was still turned on.
And when finished, toggling the switch 4 times then remove the gimbal then it auto goes back into transport mode.

I liked that feature;)

Tried auto take off, auto land, RTH, all good.

The only thing that didn't work was the RTH button on the RC, tried this a couple of time with no result:(
Edit, just had some help from sultanGris & I think the above problem is now sorted, need to keep the button pressed down for longer.

I don't know if I've got to turn something on the the app but it just didn't play ball....

I also tried my new DJI sun screen out, again the screen was totally washed out from the glare of my ugly face:eek: yep it was very sunny so I couldn't see much of the screen to make sure everything else was good. I did take my inspire out to 2100 ft then hit RTH button on my iPad, yep it came home.

I have always used a shadeo sun screen which I found brilliant, I've just emailed the company to see if they will be doing one for a inspire RC & an iPad mini. The angles of their shade make it totally glare free, you can do a Google search for them.;)

All controls worked as normal so I think I've got nothing to worry about with this upgrade.

For those that are having trouble with the upgrade, I would like to say I'm not rubbing you up the wrong way, hope you get things sorted but I was just giving everyone else an update on how I got on.

Any feedback on the RTH button on the RC would be much appreciated.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Took my I1 out today after the firmware update.

1st thing I like was the ability to fire up the inspire in transport mode & fit the gimbal while the inspire was still turned on.
And when finished, toggling the switch 4 times then remove the gimbal then it auto goes back into transport mode.

I liked that feature;)

Tried auto take off, auto land, RTH, all good.

The only thing that didn't work was the RTH button on the RC, tried this a couple of time with no result:(

I don't know if I've got to turn something on the the app but it just didn't play ball....

I also tried my new DJI sun screen out, again the screen was totally washed out from the glare of my ugly face:eek: yep it was very sunny so I couldn't see much of the screen to make sure everything else was good. I did take my inspire out to 2100 ft then hit RTH button on my iPad, yep it came home.

All controls worked as normal so I think I've got nothing to worry about with this upgrade.

For those that are having trouble with the upgrade, I would like to say I'm not rubbing you up the wrong way, hope you get things sorted but I was just giving everyone else an update on how I got on.

Any feedback on the RTH button on the RC would be much appreciated.;)
check your failsafe settings in the app, i think they changed some stuff in the new go app and you may have to enter/change some settings to get it to work.

Reactions: Clampit
In advanced settings there's a failsafe mode but this only gives you your safe height, just noticed "smart go home" in advanced settings, oh well manual back out for more reading:D

are you holding the button down for a while, it should start beeping after 3-5 seconds? it takes a few seconds to activate to avoid accidental activation if you bump it.

Reactions: Clampit
are you holding the button down for a while, it should start beeping after 3-5 seconds? it takes a few seconds to activate to avoid accidental activation if you bump it.
I think you've just answered my question, pilot error I think, didn't press the button down for long enough. Many thanks for your help.;)

I'll retest on my next flight but I think you've hit the nail on the head with your answer;)

Ohhhhh what a wally I am, lol

no problems, took me a bit to figure out the first time too, lol! didnt mention it the first time as you said it didnt work AFTER the update, so i assumed you were familiar with its use before the update.

no problems, took me a bit to figure out the first time too, lol! didnt mention it the first time as you said it didnt work AFTER the update, so i assumed you were familiar with its use before the update.
Lol, yep I did remember it from before, memory going me thinks;) but thanks again, I've just amended my above post to highlight its not a problem.

My update went perfect everything worked as should I have had 2 different phantoms and now my inspire and never had any problems with any of my quads I tend to think 95% of these problems come from user error and it's just so easy to blame dji I also think that before you go and buy a professional quad like the inspire you should start small and work you way up before I got my inspire I read everything I could find about the quad and watched a ton of videos to the point were I knew just about all I could about the inspire 1 ...I belive so many people get these quads and expect them to just work without human input ,,,but you have to remember there are a lot of things that have to work in harmony for these things to do what there supposed to do. .if you don't know what an esc or vps or how to calibrate you compass STOP!!! And watch a bunch of videos before flying and possibly losing your 3000 dollar investment or possibly killing someone ..my advice is to learn everything you can about your quad then take to the sky ...I'm not saying that these things don't go crazy sometimes but I truly believe that 95%of these problem arise from people buying these things and not knowing about them ....if you want something you can pull out of the box and fly without the commitment of research then go buy a small x5-c1 and have a ball
Thank you .....rant over

My update went perfect everything worked as should I have had 2 different phantoms and now my inspire and never had any problems with any of my quads I tend to think 95% of these problems come from user error and it's just so easy to blame dji I also think that before you go and buy a professional quad like the inspire you should start small and work you way up before I got my inspire I read everything I could find about the quad and watched a ton of videos to the point were I knew just about all I could about the inspire 1 ...I belive so many people get these quads and expect them to just work without human input ,,,but you have to remember there are a lot of things that have to work in harmony for these things to do what there supposed to do. .if you don't know what an esc or vps or how to calibrate you compass STOP!!! And watch a bunch of videos before flying and possibly losing your 3000 dollar investment or possibly killing someone ..my advice is to learn everything you can about your quad then take to the sky ...I'm not saying that these things don't go crazy sometimes but I truly believe that 95%of these problem arise from people buying these things and not knowing about them ....if you want something you can pull out of the box and fly without the commitment of research then go buy a small x5-c1 and have a ball
Thank you .....rant over
Agreed, however dji doesn't really have the best documentation explaining proper procedure and warning of things you shouldn't do, like moving it during the power on self test which I believe is the cause of most "fly aways" Plus the Chinese directions translated to English aren't the clearest either, lol! Updating firmware is a pretty easy straightforward process but tons off people have it fail, even computer experienced people who try different cards/usb drives and any other troubleshooting step possible and it still doesn't work?, I just don't see how those issues can all be user error. I think too much different hardware in the different versions might be the cause. Not sure what else it could possibly be

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I believe that those are some of the things that you should know before getting in inspire like I knew not to move my phantom 1.1.1 upon turning it on way back then and I 100% agree that dji does not have the best directions when it comes to their quadcopters but if you have access to the Internet you can watch a plethora a videos and manuals on just about every aspect of any quadcopters out on the market today of what it does how it works what not to do what to do so much so that you should know just about everything there is to know by the time that package arrives at your doorstep

And also you have to remember that people usually tend not to tell you 100 percent of the whole story all they say is my firmware didn't update correctly I did everything right but what they don't tell you is that they moved it to the other side of the room or they shut it off for a minute cuz they had to go to the bathroom or they pulled the SD card out because the beeping was done and then put it back in there's always a bunch of other variables in my experience at least. I had a friend call me up just bought a brand new phantom 3 told me his handsome just fell out of the sky! So I go through the routine with him you know compass calibration, batteries charged, IMU calibration, excetera excetera so I finally I tell him to bring the quadcopter to my house when he gets to my house I noticed that one of his props were broken and I noticed that there's some crazy glue on the end of the break so I ask him hey did you glue this prop he says yes I broke last night so I just glued it back together. So I told him that's why his now $1200 quadcopter is now ruined because he glued back a $20 propeller but over the phone you never told me that that was the reason why I have dropped out of the sky people never really tell you the whole story maybe a fear of feeling stupid or maybe they just forget

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44