Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware v1.4.0.10 Upgrade and Batteries

Reaction score
Website
www.kvphoto.com
OK...I have been having my Inspire for a while now and as soon as the newest Firmware comes out...I do the upgrade....I always READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (Biggest Mistake I find other make is not reading!?).....and I just DO WHAT THEY SAY TO DO!?

This time...I do that.....and as I'm upgrading....I get this strange long.....BEEEEEEEEEP that kinda sounds like a VW Car BEEPING inside of a tin can.....the long BEEEEEEEEEP never stops......

It just keeps going and going....and GOING!!!!

So...finally, I turn off the aircraft.....and turn it back on...and all seems normal!!!!

Turn it off...turn on the Transmitter...connect the iPad....turn on the aircraft....."NORMAL".....

OK...I think ALL IS GOOD!!!!

The next day....I decided to make sure that EVERY BATTERY is properly UPGRADED.....I read the instructions....seems it will just UPGRADE as you use them.....I pop in a battery...turn on the transmitter...turn on the aircraft.....BBBB....normal....B-B-B-B......NORMAL.....then......BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP....here comes the VW CAR TIN CAN BEEEEEEEEEPPP again.....very odd????

So, I take that battery out...pop on another...start the whole process over again.......same thing.....

I do this 5 times...and on the LAST BATTERY.......it acts normal.....

So.....I go back to the beginning......start with the very first battery again.....SAME STRANG BEEEEEEEP....

HUM...it's late....I got to bed.....

Next day....re-start the iPad....turn on the transmitter.....SAME CRAZY BEEEEEEEEP.....so, I decide.....let's see if it FLYS?????? (Bad decision, I know....but I live in a very OPEN AREA....no danger other than loss of aircraft)......

20 minutes...it flys like NORMAL....I land....all is normal....all of the new upgrades work...the newest features works PERFECTLY.....all appears to be NORMAL.....

OK...wait...something is strange....the BEEEEEEEEEEP...is now gone.....what is going on?????

I put in a new battery....now, my DJI GO app is telling me to "CYCLE" my battery.........like I was INSTRUCTED to do in the last upgrade.....WHICH I DID LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS TOLD ME TO DO.

Bottom line......2 of my 5 batteries say.....NORMAL....up to date and perfect!!!! 3 of the 5 batteries that I have is telling me to "CYCLE" the batteries......

So.....I proceed to CYCLE the 3 batteries to below 5% like the instructions say to do.....and re-charge.......

As I put each of these 3 batteries that have been re-charged back into the aircraft....2 of the 3 SAY NORMAL....all up to date........but one is still say "CYCLE".......

OK....no problem......I fly this battery down to ZERO....below ZERO.....I was so low it was about to drop out the sky!!!!! I then let it cool....then charge it back up.....and now, all 5 batteries say NORMAL....everything says UP TO DATE......and the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP has stopped.

I wanted to post this long story just incase someone else has this problem....maybe my long story will help?????

I will say that my conclusion is this......with the last Firmware upgrade, when they said to fly it BELOW 5%.....I read somewhere on this forum that you really need to fly it WAY BELOW 5%....like....to ZERO...or even lower.......I'm thinking that this was my problem......I never "FULLY CYCLED" my batteries from the previous upgrade...and this was causing some kind of conflict!?

Thanks for hearing me out.

Kirk

Sorry I lost the will to live. A little brevity would get your message across better and in less space.

With FW 1.3.0.0, DJI changed the battery firmware to re-profile the discharge cycle to help avoid the reported sudden cliff drop off problems. The continuous 100% to 5% discharge recommended by DJI (and not the armchair experts) is required to allow the battery to determine the correct profile. It only needs to be done once (if you get it right).

I too experienced the very loud beeping when I mistakenly inserted a card with 1.3.0.0 on it after upgrading to 1.4.0.x. Underneath the loud beep I could hear the much fainter DDDD of the downgrade/upgrade. DJI advised that the BEEPing was indicating a ESC error. I was able to recover by reinserting the correct 1.4.0.0 and completing the update. It beeped throughout but once completed I have not heard it again.

NO???? I did not have the older firmware on the disk....I'm 100% sure of that.....like I said....I read the instructions......and I saw clearly where they said to remove it.....so I formatted the card and everything to make sure it was gone.

I still do not know why it was making that noise....maybe....it's just part of the upgrade????

Kirk

I had aprox the same issue with the VW with a running gear fault - but my DJI GO did not say all ok as you can see on the photo.
I formatted the sd card - downloaded a new zip file with FW, and updated again - it just kept screaming for around 15 min, but i just left it complaining. After that all turned out ok, all batteries updated, and i was flying with a smile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Scotflieger
IT happened to me again tonight....I did everything like normal....it started making that LOUD VW BEEEEEEEP noise.......the APP says, UPGRADE FAILED.....well...there is no need for an upgrade....I turn off the aircraft and then back on...and all is normal again....but when I was done.......I removed the upgrade file and the txt file from the root...and all is normal again.

Kirk

Kirk,

Your airplane should only fly until there is 10% battery, then it will land. After that, charge your (hopefully pretty depleted) controller with your airplane battery. This will discharge the airplane battery to just about nothing. Then charge the airplane battery all the way back up, then try the upgrade again. After the upgrade, check the .txt file that is generated on the SD card - it should say "success".

Jon

Kirk,

Your airplane should only fly until there is 10% battery, then it will land. After that, charge your (hopefully pretty depleted) controller with your airplane battery. This will discharge the airplane battery to just about nothing. Then charge the airplane battery all the way back up, then try the upgrade again. After the upgrade, check the .txt file that is generated on the SD card - it should say "success".

Jon
Also, you can check the battery history through the DJI GO app, on the battery menu. If there are any errors, they will be listed there. I believe I remember reading troubleshooting steps in the inspire manual (or maybe battery manual) for certain battery errors.

IT happened to me again tonight....I did everything like normal....it started making that LOUD VW BEEEEEEEP noise.......the APP says, UPGRADE FAILED.....well...there is no need for an upgrade....I turn off the aircraft and then back on...and all is normal again....but when I was done.......I removed the upgrade file and the txt file from the root...and all is normal again.

Kirk
I would try make a downgrade of firmware. Then format the sd card, and start all over again with a new upgrade. That might fix the problem if it is a software problem. This new DJI sound for sure belongs in a horror movie :oops:

I just got my new Inspire in today, I'm updating to 1.3 first and then to 1.4. I have some batteries coming tomorrow and wanted to know if I should wait to do the 1.4 upgrade tomorrow after I've had a chance to make sure the batteries are at 1.3 before upgrading to 1.4 or is it ok to upgrade the 2 batteries I currently have along with the aircraft and controller and then just go straight to 1.4 tomorrow for the 3 new TB48 batteries.

I just got my new Inspire in today, I'm updating to 1.3 first and then to 1.4. I have some batteries coming tomorrow and wanted to know if I should wait to do the 1.4 upgrade tomorrow after I've had a chance to make sure the batteries are at 1.3 before upgrading to 1.4 or is it ok to upgrade the 2 batteries I currently have along with the aircraft and controller and then just go straight to 1.4 tomorrow for the 3 new TB48 batteries.
No you don't need to wait. The initial 1.3.0.0 upgrade is to ensure that you Remote Controller(s) are correctly updated before you move on to 1.4.0.10. The latest firmware 1.4.0.10 has its own update for the batteries and can be done when you receive them. Make sure that you carried out the 100-5% continuous discharge to recalibrate the batteries when you first fly with them (see other threads for this procedure).

Enjoy flying your new Inspire but take it easy at first - it is too easy to become too confident.

Reactions: Busch
Thanks. I will. I've been flying my Phantom 3 Pro for some time and had a bunch of experience flying Heli's a couple years back. Always nervous flying a brand new expensive aircraft for the first time though. :) Especially with all the different issues/challenges folks have. Hope to be free of anything like that.

I did get my first flight off the ground and was good until I got a compass error in mid flight for some strange reason. I did the IMU and compass calibration after upgrading to 1.4. Was surprised to see that message show up. I kept flying back to me and it went away. Maybe it had some kind of interference. I fly my P3P in the same area for the last several months and no issues at all with compass. Hope it's not a sign of something wrong. I recalibrated and flew it again and no issues on second flight. Didn't fly right over the same spot though. Will try that later.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will. I've been flying my Phantom 3 Pro for some time and had a bunch of experience flying Heli's a couple years back. Always nervous flying a brand new expensive aircraft for the first time though. :) Especially with all the different issues/challenges folks have. Hope to be free of anything like that.

I did get my first flight off the ground and was good until I got a compass error in mid flight for some strange reason. I did the IMU and compass calibration after upgrading to 1.4. Was surprised to see that message show up. I kept flying back to me and it went away. Maybe it had some kind of interference. I fly my P3P in the same area for the last several months and no issues at all with compass. Hope it's not a sign of something wrong. I recalibrated and flew it again and no issues on second flight. Didn't fly right over the same spot though. Will try that later.
I was reading several places that it is important to have multiple flight mode enabled to avoid fly aways in this case with compas mistakes - but im not sure. Maybe @Scotflieger can comment on that (he know everything :D)

@Busch I always fly with multiple flight modes selected because I tend to fly in P-GPS I like the 'recovery' ATTI option to be available when I need it and to practice flying and landing to refine my skills at least once a week. Yesterday I practised 3 approaches to the hover in a confined space. As I also yesterday, if you don't have multiple flight selected you can correct this in the air but I would not recommend it.

However, in the compass error scenario, I would be cautious as the compass provides heading stability in all modes.

@Busch I always fly with multiple flight modes selected because I tend to fly in P-GPS I like the 'recovery' ATTI option to be available when I need it and to practice flying and landing to refine my skills at least once a week. Yesterday I practised 3 approaches to the hover in a confined space. As I also yesterday, if you don't have multiple flight selected you can correct this in the air but I would not recommend it.

However, in the compass error scenario, I would be cautious as the compass provides heading stability in all modes.
thanks for the info, I still keep mine in beginner mode (have only had 20 flights) - except when i fly orbit fx. then it is buzzing to close around me.
I was scared with all the fly away stories i was reading after booking mine. I have found out tho, that many of them are either fake (for some wierd reasons - maybe wannabe pilots) or simple pilot errors. And hardly any with actual defects from DJI side. And the Inspire fly even better than i expected!
If a mistake with fx. compas accour while flying - like Gregg Smith told about happens - is that a reason for gps mode to fail? and if yes will the multiple fly mode make it float in the air if switched to atti-mode?

Yes. The error message on the screen stated that I should switch out of P-GPS due to the Compass Error. Move to ATTI mode to avoid conflict. Strangely enough, I flew back over the same area later and no issues whatsoever. Not sure if it was the initial flight and with the 2nd re-calibration of the compass that solved it or not. But all is good. A bit nerve racking though when you are flying it for the first time and you see that error message and knowing that flyaway's had occurred due to compass errors. Thankfully all is good now and it seems to be working fine.

When I updated to 1.0.4.010 I had the same issues as Busch, got the VW beep! and followed the advice from Scotflieger. I too had to remove 1.0.03 and all is now good except I do not have the IOC options for POI, CL, HL etc. I saw it temporarily on one of my RC but after the update but now nothing! Any advice on how to make the IOC options available?

IOC has been replaced by the new HL and CL modes, it will be removed from the app on the next update..

Perfect. However, the new options for POI, CL etc should be on a drop down menu between the satellites and the central Aircraft State windows. I saw, temporarliy, on one of my mini iPads the choices available then it disappeared! The window never appeared on my other iPad after the update. Any suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide