Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flicker, aliasing, jittering issues with Inspire footage?

I WAS a big fan of Avid for years, even I was reseller in France. Now I found that MC is becoming old and I switched to FCPx. I agree for long video (>45minutes) MC is not bad. I am very happy to have done the switch but a new Imac5k. Now my I1 footage is smooth easy to color adjust (+/- only auto tone), no problems of mixed footage (4K 1080p frame rates, ...) When using Avid, I first graded in Davinci without transcoding, export DNxHD for use in MC. Agreed, too much headache working straight in MC and disappointing results.

Hello, we have exactly the same problem. Avid and Inspire not working togehther.
Have you already tested the program? (brorsoft vieoconverter)

So sorry I have not responded to your post...out of control busy. I edit with Avid and I share your pain. I have fussed with this issue to the point where I am pretty much defeated trying to deal with this issue.

I have used a filter to get 4K ftg shooting 30fps to 1/60th. No real improvement. The footage looks fine if you just want to make a video and post it to You Tube, but does not hold up on real monitors. The Hero 4 does not have this issue.

The one thing that has helped a bit is to bring the footage into Premier and apply the anti-flicker option to the footage, then re-render the file and import into avid. This does help somewhat, but it is what it is.

When the Inspire first came out...several people were testing the unit and posting all kinds of reviews. None of them, including Philip Bloom on camera for DJI, would really get into actual quality of this camera, despite my whining queries.

Maybe it's the camera sensor size, or whatever, but DJI has basically ignored putting out a quality camera to go along with this amazing platform. I would gladly pay more to have a better camera on this rig. After all, what is this thing being used for? Video and photos? Yes?

My hope is that, since the camera is modular, that a 3rd party will produce a quality camera that is compatible at a "reasonable" price. I think the Inspire is incredible...so much more stable than the Phantoms...I love the software.

In the end, I'm very happy that I purchased the Inspire. Hope you have better luck with this issue than I did.

I quit avid MC a part for this reason, also becoming a bit old program.
When using MC I first did some color grading and edit cuts in Davinci and exported in DNxHD for MC.
Now I transcode with the delivered DJI software in ProresHQ (huge files) and DJI gamma for use in Final Cut Pro x, becoming my main NLE. Both solutions give acceptable results, but I prefer the last one as auto-tone for these transcoded files works perfect.
All aerials with the I1 and last solution. Shutter speed was a bit too high at 1/160, but it was too hot for changing my ND16 to a ND32 (except in one sequence shot at another day)

Last edited:
I've been editing in AVID ever since it came out...we have a huge media sharing system with it...I really don't want to change edit platforms because of a crappy camera. Hopefully DJI or a 3rd party will start paying attention to the quality of the images.

Anyone know a workaround for this yet? I'm having exactly this problem. And now it's 2016.

Not really...I've tried everything. Pretty much editing now in Premier, although I love AVID.

I've also been shooting w/ the X5 more, but will sometimes switch cameras to my X3 when I need a wider shot. Stuff looks OK in Premier. I know that's not much help, but I have beat this horse to death.

Here is a sample of footage I shot last week with the X5 on my Inspire, all ground footage shot w/ my X3 on the OSMO, edited in Premier, shot 4k at 30fps...color in classic mode, edited at 1080p.

Thanks for the swift reply. Yes, that's much better even though I can still see some flickering in the lines of the sails. Nothing near the amount I'm experiencing though. My lines in the road and telephone lines all look striped from moiré.
I tried importing in Premiere and exporting in DnxHD. It helps somewhat, but not fully. Is this a problem with material filmed in 1080p also?

I had issues shooting in 1080p...I shoot everything 4k or ultra HD...just because you can do so much with it in post (zooming in, etc.). One critical thing that has helped is to make sure your shutter speed is double that of your frame rate...at 30fps, I'm shooting with shutter speed of 60, using filters in bright sunlight. With the X5, I have the luxury of adjusting aperature...can't do that with the X3.

One thing that has helped a bit in Premier is to select your clip...go to the top of the page and select clip...pull down to field options, and then select flicker removal.

There are so many variables with all of this...I've pretty much been beaten into submission and hope for the best. I've spent countless hours trying to do empirical comparisons only to end up screaming like a lunatic at the end of the process.

In the end, I think sensor size and shutter speed are the most critical factors, but who knows?

Again, sorry I can't be too much help with all of this. Good luck.

Hello guys,

Im working at a german production house. We also have trouble with dji and avid. We are using avid 8.5.
When shooting 1080/50p,transcoding and working the stuff in a 1080/50p-avid-project it looks good.
As soon as we want to transcode 50p-stuff in an interlaced-avid-project it becomes crap. Moire, jittering etc. Even when we just link the files via ama.
The only workaround we see to remove that and maintain the original quality as good as possible when processing them in avid from 50p to 50i is to create an Avid project Double the size of full-hd and 50p. First we transcode the files in these avid-project with dnxhr. Afterwards we switch to an 1080/50i-avid-project and make a Mixdown of the transcoded files. In the end 9 of 10 files have no or very less Moire and jittering. And t picture is still sharp, clear, all details are maintained. In some cases when the problems were too big we have to re-encode the files with a Blur (we use telestream episode and the smooth-blending-filter) before transcoding them in avid. But this is the very last thing.

Not really...I've tried everything. Pretty much editing now in Premier, although I love AVID.

I've also been shooting w/ the X5 more, but will sometimes switch cameras to my X3 when I need a wider shot. Stuff looks OK in Premier. I know that's not much help, but I have beat this horse to death.

Here is a sample of footage I shot last week with the X5 on my Inspire, all ground footage shot w/ my X3 on the OSMO, edited in Premier, shot 4k at 30fps...color in classic mode, edited at 1080p.

I know it is not the subject of this thread but since your shots and composition are pretty good I though id' give my 2c on your editing.
In short, the story line (if there is one) does not give your shots full credit. The opening shot is beautiful, there is no need to have another cut of it until the end. Some of your shots are cut way to fast. I wanted to feast my eyes a little longer.
Again you have my most respect for getting the shots. (I love the one at night when the row boats come into the frame). I am only trying to give you food for thoughts. I know I can use help on my editing as well.
Cheers

Based on those posts, it sounds like this is an AVID issue. Have you tried looking at the footage imported to another editor? FCP or Premiere?

What setting did you film in on the Inspire camera? There may be some tricks fkr converting the file to a PSF that the client wants on their end - a workaround really. I recall reading something about this awhile ago on an editor forum.

Has anybody arrived at a solution for this? I manage a Post Production house in Ireland and we have the same issue with the aliasing/shimmering with most of the drone footage that we ingest. We have found a reasonable solution using Avid DS' 'merge field' feature. which does help with this issue. I am a drone pilot myself (I own the Inspire 1 Pro with X5 Camera and Mavic Air) and have tested many resolution settings/camera settings and I still can't crack the issue. One setting which did seem to help was having the shutter speed double the speed of the frame rate. DJI should introduce an interlace option maybe this would solve the issue? As most sport/action sports are shot interlace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08