Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Flight Reference Cards (FRC's)

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I am looking to create some FRC's for a couple of aircraft types we are about to buy. I've had a good search through but can't find any available.

How do you all create yours, what exact info needs to be within?

Are there any available from the manufacturers, or would any of you be willing to share your own please?

The aircraft we will be using are DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Inspire 1 & Matrice M600 Pro's.

Many thanks.

Hi,

The manufacturers don't provide any FRC's as, other than the specification and operational limits (which can be obtained from their websites), they are YOUR 'reminders' of what you will do before you leave your premises, fly the aircraft, and return back to your premises. In other words they are specific to you, specific to each aircraft and cannot be copied from another group or person. That is why you will not find any FRC's on the interweb and why no-one would willingly share theirs.

I've created mine as part of my individual OSC (Operating Safety Case), which tie in with my theory course and flight assessment to get my PfCO (Permission for Commercial Operations) from the CAA. If you want to see what the CAA want in an OSC take a look at the 2015 Air Navigation Order - but it won't tell you what's required in FRC's!

What I will tell you in general terms is that they cover such things as operating limits and conditions, types of operation, flight modes, maintenance procedures, normal procedures and abnormal/emergency procedures.

I echo what BCF says - they are specific to you way of operating and the craft you purchase.

You should also think about emergency procedures for your craft (although some are likely to be cross craft specific, such as what to do in the case of a battery fire).

Think about what you need to take with you, how you set up your craft, take off and landing procedures, packing up etc. That should give you some food for thought :)

Reactions: HV_Sparks
Ahh thanks, coming from manned aviation, the FRC's are honed in, to type-specific information, which is what I wrongly expected the UAS FRC's to be like.

The OM is about written, so just the FRC's to design.

Thanks for clarifying
;-)

Reactions: JRenner
Good morning everyone,

I am looking to create some FRC's for a couple of aircraft types we are about to buy. I've had a good search through but can't find any available.

How do you all create yours, what exact info needs to be within?

Are there any available from the manufacturers, or would any of you be willing to share your own please?

The aircraft we will be using are DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Inspire 1 & Matrice M600 Pro's.

Many thanks.

Hey Sparks,

Hopefully you've had your question answered in detail already, just thought I would input a few things as well for future reference. FRCs are used very often, if not all the time, in the commercial sector (they're just not actively passed around, normally done in-house and kept there).
They are, if they're well written, specific to location / area of operations (AO) for any flights within that area (obviously) and any variables that may be happening within said AO. The variables should be anything that directly affect your flight, or is a safety concern to yourself etc.

Just think about all the problems that could arise, within reason of course, and address it in the FRC. Landing area got some people standing on it and you can't land there? If you've done your pre-flight planning right, you should know roughly where a secondary LZ may be. That was just an example of course, I'd probably land no closer than twenty meters to the nearest pedestrian. Just a case of asking yourself what logical problems may arise, and what would you do about it during the flight, because you don't generally have a lot of time to figure out solutions during an emergency.

These references should most benefit the pilot (who normally and ideally is said author of FRCs, and they should understand that it's a key factor in any aerial operation - it should in your head ) as it increases operational awareness and situational reaction time in an unplanned event or emergency during your flight. I'll attach an a somewhat extensive FRC / Pre-Flight list that I use for every commercial shoot my company or team is in involved in. Note it wasn't typed to be used in this way, it's not complete - these are headers from our Operations Manual and they each will a small sub chapter addressing the issue. It's also more extensive than usual because our flight operations normally take place in high density areas. I'm sure you'll get a few ideas from it - hopefully!

Attachments

• AERO : OPS Manual Headers REDRAFT 2017.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 94
Ahh thanks, coming from manned aviation, the FRC's are honed in, to type-specific information, which is what I wrongly expected the UAS FRC's to be like.

The OM is about written, so just the FRC's to design.

Thanks for clarifying
;-)
Oh sorry just read this after my ramble - the FRCs I work with are pretty much what you would get in manned aviation / military. I picked it up in the Army, directing aircraft from the ground, so I definitely have a strong biased as to the importance of this kind of protocol. Saves lives. It should be done in all it's entirety to the best of the pilot's ability. Saves time and definitely creates a safer working environment for everybody!

And I think the verbiage you're looking for is a Flight Manual / Drone Operations Manual. I refer to FRCs as sight pictures needed on the day of filming / flying etc specific to location and time. Good luck with everything, enjoy your flights!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lifeisart