Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FLIR for Law Enforcement

I'm not a LEO put I think both fire Dept and Police DEPT consider having a drone in there arsenal. For police to access The area before sending some one in. For firefighter in a fuel fire or spill to make a accesment. In these few examples it would protect the life of both and do a more effective job. Congrats that your dept so the wisdom.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Our agency just added the XT to our Inspire1 so now we day/night capabilities. We also added an additional video camera on the nose so we can have both feeds at the same time. Anyone else using their I1 for LE purposes?

Is it just a video camera or you can take still pictures as well? Can you take thermal pictures simultaneously with regular rgb camera? Are they covering same field of view? I am asking because it might be very useful to create ortho/3d model out of rgb pictures and then use thermal pics for texturing.

Is it just a video camera or you can take still pictures as well? Can you take thermal pictures simultaneously with regular rgb camera? Are they covering same field of view? I am asking because it might be very useful to create ortho/3d model out of rgb pictures and then use thermal pics for texturing.

The set up we have has an excellent resolution FLIR, DJI XT, which is made for the I1. The add-on video camera is only for orientation purposes and would not serve well for still photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5917.jpg
    IMG_5917.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: Refleks
The set up we have has an excellent resolution FLIR, DJI XT, which is made for the I1. The add-on video camera is only for orientation purposes and would not serve well for still photos.

Timely topic for me. I'm going to start training my departments pilots tomorrow. I was able to get the city to purchase a Phantom 4 Pro to start training with, but plan on adding the Inspire with FLIR in the near future once I get the guys some flight experience.

Just wondering if you'd PM me your information for networking. I will respond with mine.

Our agency just added the XT to our Inspire1 so now we day/night capabilities. We also added an additional video camera on the nose so we can have both feeds at the same time. Anyone else using their I1 for LE purposes?

I am in Florida and have my 107. Have already written the SOP and MIssion as well as a training manual. I am the only pilot as of now, and am flying several sAUS. I am adding the Inspire 1 with hopes of getting the FLIR (Zenmuse XT) added on. Does the XT mount on the Inspire 1 version 2 only? Or will it fit the Inspire 1 version 1. There is a big difference in prices between the two as of now... I am ready to just buy the bird NOW!!!

I am in Florida and have my 107. Have already written the SOP and MIssion as well as a training manual. I am the only pilot as of now, and am flying several sAUS. I am adding the Inspire 1 with hopes of getting the FLIR (Zenmuse XT) added on. Does the XT mount on the Inspire 1 version 2 only? Or will it fit the Inspire 1 version 1. There is a big difference in prices between the two as of now... I am ready to just buy the bird NOW!!!

Yes, the XT does mount to the regular Inspire 1 although you rarely see it. I1 V2.0 comes with the X5 Vibration Absorbing Plate already installed which is an enhanced mounting and absorbing plate from the original in that is has larger and wider dampeners. Props as a well as the propulsion system are also different on the V2.0. Keep in mind that I1 technology is late 2014 tech, V2.0 being late 2015. They are both spectacular, might have to recommend V2.0 both overall not that much of a difference. They are a great platform for flying the XT if the M200 isn't needed and doesn't fit the budget.

Reactions: Southern Style
I live in N.TX. I was T.C.L.E.O.S.E./full time for a number of years. I have offered my FLIR capable Inspire as an additional tool to assist our small local city as well as our county in SAR/LE missions.

I can tell you that FLIR REALLY helps in safe acquisition (and/or arrest) of potentially dangerous/unstable subjects, especially after dark in urban neighborhoods. While I never had UAV assistance, our TX DPS (State Police) has multiple FLIR capable helos that really helped out from time to time. I am interested to see what transpires in this area in Texas.

Reactions: Advexure
Yes, the XT does mount to the regular Inspire 1 although you rarely see it. I1 V2.0 comes with the X5 Vibration Absorbing Plate already installed which is an enhanced mounting and absorbing plate from the original in that is has larger and wider dampeners. Props as a well as the propulsion system are also different on the V2.0. Keep in mind that I1 technology is late 2014 tech, V2.0 being late 2015. They are both spectacular, might have to recommend V2.0 both overall not that much of a difference. They are a great platform for flying the XT if the M200 isn't needed and doesn't fit the budget.

Thank you for the info.. have several I am looking at getting.. just need to get off the wallet and pull the trigger.... already purchased the Zenmuse XT.. now, just need the bird..

Reactions: iflawdya
Thank you for the info.. have several I am looking at getting.. just need to get off the wallet and pull the trigger.... already purchased the Zenmuse XT.. now, just need the bird..
I am officially envious lol. I will one day get the XT. Until then my hybrid system will do lol. Good luck!

Without trying to hijack this thread- in the US do law enforcement follow the normal drone rules for FAA or do you have emergency powers for different rules ?

Without trying to hijack this thread- in the US do law enforcement follow the normal drone rules for FAA or do you have emergency powers for different rules ?
While I haven't been in the mix with LE here in Texas for awhile, I can say that usually the FAA will grant a special LE waiver for "helos and other law enforcement aircraft", etc. when working with LE personnel.

I don't, however, think that would apply to me as a civilian. One of the things we are right now working on is that issue...whether or not I can "assist by request" local LE inside of normally restricted (Class B/C/D) airspace without prior 90-day FAA waiver/approval. We have contacted the FAA and are awaiting their response. I'm not holding my breath, lol.

Until we got all our paperwork approved by the city, we were activating the DRONE under the ruling that "A Chief/Sheriff can use whatever means necessary when IMMEDIATE imminent life is in danger.." Meaning I was utilized when we had an active shooter taking pop shots or active hostage situation to save lives.. Only happened a few times.. As of now, we have the city council approval, insured, policy and procedures in place, training manuals, and all post and pre flight paperwork, working with local Class D airport, etc.... When I go back on Monday, we are finishing up the final touches.. Our city attorney requested that we file a NOTAM anytime that we train or utilize the DRONE.. Which is fine with me. I just purchased an Inspire 1 V2 and a Zenmuse XT for my personal business and am taking it to work Monday to show them why they should have got the Inspire 1 and not the DJI Phantom 4.. That will be their next purchase, i'm sure,,

Public Use Agencies (LE/Fire/EMA/Towns/City Gov't, etc.) can either operate under a Certificate of Authorization (Part 91) or under Part 107. They must operate under one of those in order to put a drone in the air. Or they can contract out to a Part 107 operator.

I work for RI. Dept. of corrections. Myself and another officer have been using our personal drones for training. Recently I've been asked to research a drone for the department. I was looking at the I1 with xt camera and the Matrice 200. Any recommendations and tips would be helpful. What kind of setup do you have as far as using tablets or outputting a live feed to a monitor.

My department purchased the Phantom 4 (against my advice). It will work for documenting Crime Scenes, viewing hostage/active shooters, etc.. But does not have thew capabilities of carrying the Zenmuse XT FLIR. The Phantom also does not have the ability to carry and drop a flotation device or emergency supplies (like a radio) to a lost hiker like the Inspire 1. Phantom 4 handles winds fine up to around 22-25 mph. Inspire handles winds in the 40's. Inspire has a lot longer flight duration time than the Phantom 4. I think they wanted to try to get this going with minimal costs.. Now that we are cleared, they are kicking themselves, but planning on getting the Inspire 1 on the next purchase.. I brought my Inspire 1 Version 2 into work outfitted with the Zenmuse XT and they were extremely impressed, (Fire Dept started drooling).. So, the FD known what to get the first round!! Up to you on exactly what you will be using it for. It can be (and is being done with our agency) hooked up to a monitor. Mine is connected to our Command Post so that SWAT Commanders/Deputy Chief/Ect can view from inside the command post..

My department purchased the Phantom 4 (against my advice). It will work for documenting Crime Scenes, viewing hostage/active shooters, etc.. But does not have thew capabilities of carrying the Zenmuse XT FLIR. The Phantom also does not have the ability to carry and drop a flotation device or emergency supplies (like a radio) to a lost hiker like the Inspire 1. Phantom 4 handles winds fine up to around 22-25 mph. Inspire handles winds in the 40's. Inspire has a lot longer flight duration time than the Phantom 4. I think they wanted to try to get this going with minimal costs.. Now that we are cleared, they are kicking themselves, but planning on getting the Inspire 1 on the next purchase.. I brought my Inspire 1 Version 2 into work outfitted with the Zenmuse XT and they were extremely impressed, (Fire Dept started drooling).. So, the FD known what to get the first round!! Up to you on exactly what you will be using it for. It can be (and is being done with our agency) hooked up to a monitor. Mine is connected to our Command Post so that SWAT Commanders/Deputy Chief/Ect can view from inside the command post..

I am currently using my personal P4P on our SWAT team. And you're right it's limited. As far as having sent to another monitor, is that through a cable or can you do that wirelessly?

As of now, we have one HDMI cable running to the outside of the command post which in turn feeds it to the monitors needed. Our technical guy is working on the cellular service in Cryptid thingy majiggy to connect to the whosemmabop to get it wirelessly. Obviously I don't know how he's doing that, by my terminology. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan