Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FLIR Tau2 Camera

Yes Damon. I am looking to mount the Vue in a 3-axis gimbal mounted on a custom bottom plate under the battery. I've researched some of the available Tx and I seem to gravitate towards the 600 mw 5.8 ghz.

I'd be very interested in your connectivity amd mount setup. I actually have an extra IRC 600mw Tx and 5.8 diversity monitor laying around from my Phantom 2 days.

It looks like the USB connection carries power and analog video signal.

The parts that are unclear to me are

1) Power

a) how to get power onto the USB cable and from where (I understand there is a power lead behind the rear I1 plate?)

b) how to get power for the Tx (might be answered with (a)

2) how to extract the video signal from the USB cable to connect to the Tx (although stripping down the USB wires and finding the video signal one might be simple with some kind of wiring diagram)

Now I don't have a straight answer but my current conceptual setup will include a 12v battery to power both Vue, gimbal, and Tx unit. Thus why I am centralizing the weight via custom bottom plate.

Definitely post back here when you get things coming together.

On a side note, these guys have got a FLIR Tau 2 transmitting from a Phantom 2:

http://1uas.com/Thermal-UAS-Package...FLIR-Tau-2-Thermal-Camera-Gimbal-Ready-to-Fly

Note sent asking about a kit for the Inspire.

Reactions: Outta Control
Don't recall right now (my memory is good - but short). I recall a photo someone took where they removed the rear panel and tapped a power lead there (soldered to the connection point on a vertical surface).

I am currently working on tapping power from my I1 to power my Tau2 640.

A couple of points to consider:
- the VPC has two ports: analog video and micro USB (mu). The mu supplies the 5v necessary to power the camera. The analog video out can be used to input into your 5.8 Tx. You cannot get live video out of the USB, at least without adding on some significant onboard processing.
- with the VPC, you can plug the mu into your PC (not Mac) and adjust the Tau's settings via FLIR's GUI. Within the GUI you can select different user templates for colorized outputs.
- once you're done/bored playing the VPC, you want to to eventually get the wearsaver board. Here you can solder your 5v and video out wires thereby making your overall package more compact.
- make sure you get a good voltage reg. You want to be sure the FLIR is getting a good 5v input. Don't speed thousands and then go cheap on voltage supply!
- I worked together with the folks at MARS (parachutes) to design and 3d print a bracket.
- as for power supply, I am tempted to get a stand alone lipo to power the FLIR + Tx. That is where I am at now.
- for recording, since the output is analog 640, I can use Elgato's Video recorder and I just save the videos to my MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 16
Now I don't have a straight answer but my current conceptual setup will include a 12v battery to power both Vue, gimbal, and Tx unit. Thus why I am centralizing the weight via custom bottom plate.
Just remember the Vue is 5v, I am too waiting for the vue to come out, just not sure what version i want, 320 or 640 and then the lens.
What lens are you guys looking to get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla