Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Flyby Technology, unsolicited Emails and Data Protection Breach

Reaction score
I received an unsolicited email to day from Flyby Technology today offering their services following the demise in the UK of EuroUSC. They are flogging the old 'you need help to renew your CAA Permission' that has been covered many times on this forum.

I’m just concerned that they also included 226 contact details of other past EuroUSC students in their header which means that my email has now been distributed to a load of people I don’t know.

This is a breach of my privacy. I don’t know anything about this company. The Managing director Jon Parker says that he received contact details from EuroUSC. But from whom? My details were confidential between myself and EuroUSC.

This is a small industry and a casual attitude to data protection will not serve Flyby Technology well.

Flyby Technology even have the gall to tell me that my renewal is approaching or might have passed.

The initial paragraph in the email actually says a lot; it discusses how you can easily renew on your own (and not trying to take your money saying you have to do it through an NQE) and even gives advice on what you need to check when renewing given the recent faff with insurance and renewals not being sent back because of incorrect references. No charge, no tut tut, just actually helpful advice for free.

"Dear Sir or Madam,
As you may be aware, EuroUSC ceased to trade in December of 2016. This is of course a disappointment to all of us who completed our training for BNUC and BNUC-S in the early days. I am writing to you because, according to the administrator’s database, your renewal is approaching or may even have passed. Flyby Technology is able to help you regain or renew your Permission for Commercial Operation should you require it. The actual renewal process is straightforward and can easily be completed on your own. If that is your choice then please make sure that your insurance cover satisfies EC785/2004, as this may be a change since your initial award or last renewal. You should also remove any reference to Permission for Aerial Work and replace it with Permission for Commercial Operation. The articles in CAP 393 have also changed and you must now reference Article 241, 94 and 95."

I had the same email. Actually I saw it in a completely different way Cyclops. It is obvious from their email you have options. The first they talk about is exactly how to renew it yourself. Not trying to say you need help. Saying it can be done on your own. Even saying exactly how to do it. I don't know of any other company that would do something like that. Yes they then ask if you want to go on their books and get the help in day to day flying that the old bunch didn't do. Also they put a phone number to chat on and ask you if you want to come off their list. All perfectly reasonable. Yes the guy sending the email made an error but that is what happens to us all. I am guessing the ones making a big deal of this are from other companies or have mates in them. I called the guy and chatted for an hour and at the end he still said I should do it myself even though I said I would with them. Because I only do 2 jobs a year. If I could have done my training with Flybe I would have. They sound a good bunch. The future. Very bad to only put half of the story and slag off a team doing good things. Bad. Very bad

I had the same email. Actually I saw it in a completely different way Cyclops. It is obvious from their email you have options. The first they talk about is exactly how to renew it yourself. Not trying to say you need help. Saying it can be done on your own. Even saying exactly how to do it. I don't know of any other company that would do something like that. Yes they then ask if you want to go on their books and get the help in day to day flying that the old bunch didn't do. Also they put a phone number to chat on and ask you if you want to come off their list. All perfectly reasonable. Yes the guy sending the email made an error but that is what happens to us all. I am guessing the ones making a big deal of this are from other companies or have mates in them. I called the guy and chatted for an hour and at the end he still said I should do it myself even though I said I would with them. Because I only do 2 jobs a year. If I could have done my training with Flybe I would have. They sound a good bunch. The future. Very bad to only put half of the story and slag off a team doing good things. Bad. Very bad

Did you phone him on the number to chat about your issue or just write on here without telling him you were. Again not the way to deal with it. If you called him what did he say or will you tell us half of that too?

Hi Dreampilot,

Bad. Very Bad - now which American President does that remind me of?

Sure I had an email exchange with him and he admitted he had made a mistake and has taken me off the database he has got hold of.

He did give me some confidential information that he asked me to keep to myself as to how he had come across the information. The EuroUSC students I studied with all came from different walks of life and had different goals and aspiration as to what they would use their CAA PFAW for. However quite a few of them were from Military, Police and Large Corporations and I'm not sure they would be happy to have their details splashed about.

Glad you are happy with his unsolicited communication. I signed up with EuroEUSC, not Flyby Technology, and did so presuming my information would stay private and not be passed onto a third party.

But if you are happy with that, that's absolutely fine.

All the best.

I see your point. Really unfortunate it happened. I was just relieved there is a good company taking over if that is what they are doing. If you look on other forums lots like what they get. I had not heard of them until last week and then this. Looks like they do a good job. They might not be good at sending emails. Ha Looks like they know what they are doing with the drone flying. Interesting to see what they do. I am impressed so far, the guy was not after me to join. He was more worried that I may be not able to get sorted in time. Gave me free advice and wished me luck. I think I will still call to find out more. I want the help renewing after looking at my Manual today. Not something I want to do alone if stuff changes later. Though I can do it myself this time and join them next year. I hear lots are getting on board. Find out soon

I was just relieved there is a good company taking over if that is what they are doing.
So have they taken over the assets of EuroUSC or totally separate company - as the data protection commission would take them apart if a separate entity and using an email list like that - if the list contains military and police contact information of people who have passed the course, there is a security implication there as there email addresses might be restricted!

I am surprised to read the content of this thread regarding the negativity towards Flyby Technology.

I am currently in the middle of doing my PfCO with them and I can state that they have not demonstrated a casual attitude towards any aspect of this industry, nor towards how they carry out their business affairs.

They have been and remain, completely professional in their approach to the business of providing excellent training for achieving commercial drone operator status

I can only surmise that the email error was a genuine mistake. Knowing the guys at Flyby, I am sure they will be extremely regretful about the error.

I have been reading their blog on their website all evening. I have learned more from their blog in one night than I did in 2 days with the original lot. NigPD what was the class stuff like? As good as they reckon. Have you done a Manual yet? Mine is ok but out of date. Are these the guys to go with? They look to have the right ideas.

The Groundschool took place over 2 days and was taken by an ex navy helicopter pilot. He had trained other helicopter pilots, so you can imagine how good he was at getting over information and helping us attendees to understand the content.

Some of the course can be quite taxing, but the tutor went through it at a pace that meant we had time to understand and absorb the content. Outstanding knowledge, combined with a good sense of humour and a professional approach Suited me very well. I hadn't been in a classroom type situation for many years, but I was put at ease from the start.

I have completed the manual and am now practicing hard for the flight test now that the weather is improving.

I would definitely recommend them. They I know their stuff!

Right. Thank you. I need to chat to them on Monday. I have a friend looking to start his PfCO. These guys will work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arhaansheikh07