Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying on Beartooth Pass Wyoming

Reaction score
heading to Beartooth Pass Wyoming this summer and was thinking of taking the drone but couldn't find and real answers as to whether it is legal or illegal to fly on the Beartooth I know it's illegal in Yellowstone but couldn't find any info on the Beartooth...anyone know?

why don't you call them and ask?
someone in the reagon has to be responsible for that area :)
i am sure that if elaborate what and how you would like to do, they tell you if it is legal or not.
just my 2c and what i would do.

why don't you call them and ask?
someone in the reagon has to be responsible for that area :)
i am sure that if elaborate what and how you would like to do, they tell you if it is legal or not.
just my 2c and what i would do.

The problem is a lot of the times, rangers and local LE don't actually know the laws and will either give you an ambiguous answer or an incorrect answer, which then leads you to being banned from doing it even though it's legal or vice versa.

According to this map on wikipedia, it appears most of the pass is in National Park lands, which would make it a no go for flying: Beartooth Highway - Wikipedia

it was a thought of what i would do. same is going on here in hungary (europe).
not particulary in flying but rather for jeeping to name an example. i called the rangers or forest guys in charge to get a permit for a little ride on forest roads "off road" with my kids (3 1/2 and 6) today...
back then i would have only took my son.
so i called telling them what i planned and intend to do and they said no bc some morons went quading over young planted trees instead of ataying on the trail.
as it turned out later that although this might be true, if you do not know a hunter or are in the hunting community you will never get a permit...
i know this is not really on the topic, all i wanted to say is that at times you have to go through some if not all instances of an organisation to get info.
next i probably would have called the FAA and get a written statement... - if not for the wikipedia article which is questionable in my opinion.
no offense meant to anyone.

Reactions: emtea
it was a thought of what i would do. same is going on here in hungary (europe).
not particulary in flying but rather for jeeping to name an example. i called the rangers or forest guys in charge to get a permit for a little ride on forest roads "off road" with my kids (3 1/2 and 6) today...
back then i would have only took my son.
so i called telling them what i planned and intend to do and they said no bc some morons went quading over young planted trees instead of ataying on the trail.
as it turned out later that although this might be true, if you do not know a hunter or are in the hunting community you will never get a permit...
i know this is not really on the topic, all i wanted to say is that at times you have to go through some if not all instances of an organisation to get info.
next i probably would have called the FAA and get a written statement... - if not for the wikipedia article which is questionable in my opinion.
no offense meant to anyone.

I totally agree with you but the reality is like your own experience, it doesn't really work out.

I totally agree with you but the reality is like your own experience, it doesn't really work out.

or you have the funds next to knowing the community... seems like elysium (the movie) or equlibrium sometimes... a very harsh split and no kind of equality for no one but their own kind...
sorry to hear you can't take it on... a mavic would probably do, due to its size but also be illeagal... but not so much noticable...

Thanks for all the input I did try one of the links you sent and got refered to the chamber of commerce not sure if thats the right avenue to take but did send them a letter and havent got a response back as of yet, so will wait and see what they have to say...I have seen videos posted on youtube filmed with a drone but rather they were done legally or illegally who really knows

Thanks for all the input I did try one of the links you sent and got refered to the chamber of commerce not sure if thats the right avenue to take but did send them a letter and havent got a response back as of yet, so will wait and see what they have to say...I have seen videos posted on youtube filmed with a drone but rather they were done legally or illegally who really knows

For what it's worth, I have had good experiences with Arizona State Park rangers and officials, who were really nice and helpful (in relation to flying in AZ state parks). Maybe you could ask the Wyoming State Park rangers and see what they say? It's unclear to me who has jurisdiction over Bear Tooth Path, but most of it does look to be National Park land, which would mean no flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen