Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying Over Water

Found this on the net.
landing and taking off from water. The Inspire1 is fitted with swim noodles.
See...no spray at all. The water is very calm though.
Going to investigate this further.

Why risk it? if this is the work you need a UAV for then I would purchase a waterproof UAV that is what they are made for, plus I would only use a cheaper Phantom equiped with Liquipel. see link below.

Of course if money is no object then do what you want when you want.

Reactions: Area21
Sounds like you have it covered but over water is what you originally asked about is a completely different mission scenario , personally I'm NOT a fan of flying an aircraft until its running out of fuel, no matter what the aircraft or fuel is, I have an iCharger 106B & a Bantam e-STATION BC6DX-II both are chargers for batteries of various chemistries they do balance charge, storage charge & discharge I have made up cables that goes from a XT60 connectors to an Osmo Battery (2 PIN) to DC Power Cable. I fly each battery to a safe level & after about every 20 flights I use these devices to completely discharge each battery (to minimum sage cell voltage).
I apply the 80 / 20 rule with flight batteries whether this is a multi rotors or helicopters. Keeping 20% available as reserve. Far safer to land and replace a battery than have the aircraft fall from the sky. The only time I push this down a little is with FPV fixed wing aircraft when I have separate batteries for power and FPV. So if I lose power to the motor I can still glide and then see it crash (just kidding).

Hi 1st time poster,

Looking to get some footage for a boating club which obviously means taking the craft over water. Keep reading horror stories but want to be assured that it can be safe enough to do without worry. Nothing fancy is planned just some aerial footage at safe height i do not intend being close to water, will it be safe enough in VPS mode at at safe height? Take off/landing will be on land.

Thanks

I've flown my Phantom 3 4K low (5') over water without incident or accident. Look towards the end of this clip.

Reactions: Area21
Hi 1st time poster,

Looking to get some footage for a boating club which obviously means taking the craft over water. Keep reading horror stories but want to be assured that it can be safe enough to do without worry. Nothing fancy is planned just some aerial footage at safe height i do not intend being close to water, will it be safe enough in VPS mode at at safe height? Take off/landing will be on land.

Thanks

I never use VPS over water as it is too reflective & it moves so the aircraft can not hold its position, the GPS system does a good job outdoors.

I've flown my Phantom 3 4K low (5') over water without incident or accident. Look towards the end of this clip.

Same here see below link to the promos for some fishing shows I shoot edit produce master well you get it there is the talent & me thats it!
as long as you follow your pre & post flight checks and flight with the correct setting all will be fine. so far I have over 60 half hour TV shows every one with the UAV flown over water it makes for a great perspective of the action you normally would not see.
By the way EVERY show has been shot with DJI equipment, maybe a deal for some UAV's for a credit on the show?

ReelActionTV

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit

Why risk it? if this is the work you need a UAV for then I would purchase a waterproof UAV that is what they are made for, plus I would only use a cheaper Phantom equiped with Liquipel. see link below.

Of course if money is no object then do what you want when you want.
Liquipel is not available in my country. And Amazon doesn't deliver in NL as well.

But what's the extra risk? Only that you get a few drops on your camera, but a lot of us also fly with a couple of raindrops. If you land normally there's no spray at all. And besides, if it ever would fall down for some reason I would rather have it crash on fresh water with the floats than on land without.

I would not use the floats to take off and land on water always, only in emergencies. As a last resort.

There is the risk of serious wetness when you land with a splash. But I never landed that hard on land so why would I do that on water? Liquipel on the X3 camera would be a great option for that matter.

Catching, while operating from the boat, is always the first option. Have been catching the I1 on the boat for a number of times and it works great and with the right procedures, safe enough. The catcher wears a safety harness and live line, helmet, sunglasses, gloves and a live vest. But being able to land on water in emergencies or in forced auto landing, would be a big reassurance.

Even when flying from the beach over the lake, it is great to know it can land on water.

I took a test flight yesterday over land with pool noodle floats (measured they could keep 3.4Kg well afloat), after floating the I1 in the bathtub. It flew without any problem. In Atti it reacts quicker to wind drift of course. The battery also empties a bit quicker, maybe 10% less flying time. Taking off and landing is actually a lot safer with the floats, also on tall grass, I noticed. It is a bit more sluggish overall and the stopping is a bit harsh. But nothing really serious. Footage still looked good.

With the motor arms up it looks really badass. The X3 shows the nose of one of the floats but only in sudden harsh turns. With 20% zoom they stay out of the image all the time. The floats are attached very safely with velcro band all around. Feels quite solid and safe, even to grab on when catching.
They attach in a matter of seconds with the velcro.

I will post pictures and video once i have something to show.

Agreed if you are only using tham as as safety/recovery device then they are a good addition but a bathtub is not the open ocean where I do 90% of my work. Sometimes there is a 2 metre swell & wind it's not a perfect day every day we film. I hope everything works it it is ever needed. The only way I would have a problem is with catastrophic failure as my preflight checks ensure everything is safe to fly over water.

Same here see below link to the promos for some fishing shows I shoot edit produce master well you get it there is the talent & me thats it!
as long as you follow your pre & post flight checks and flight with the correct setting all will be fine. so far I have over 60 half hour TV shows every one with the UAV flown over water it makes for a great perspective of the action you normally would not see.
By the way EVERY show has been shot with DJI equipment, maybe a deal for some UAV's for a credit on the show?

ReelActionTV

Nice!

There are options for floats out now, even I have created a "Boot" that snaps onto the feel of the aircraft and allows you to velcro noodles to the bottom.
I use air filled floats though as the noodles needed to be doubled to allow clearance for the X5 camera.
Works great, with VPS turned off of course.

Using the noodles is freakin genius!! lol. I do fly over water sometimes (fresh water lakes) and am going to have some of those with me from now on (just in case of emergency water landing).

One note when flying near water, it's best to use a Polarized filter to cut the glare from the water.

I have made boots to use with pool noodles and or air filled floats.
Let me know if anyone is interested in them, they pop on to the feet of the aircraft and have slots to hold the velcro straps from the floats to the aircrafts landing gear.
I will upload pics of them installed on my bird later today or even tomorrow, it just allows for quick installation of floats. Nothing super fancy.

Using the noodles is freakin genius!! lol. I do fly over water sometimes (fresh water lakes) and am going to have some of those with me from now on (just in case of emergency water landing).

One note when flying near water, it's best to use a Polarized filter to cut the glare from the water.

Be sure to double up the pool noodles. At least for the X5 camera, I needed to use the Larger Noodle and then I split another in half to add one half of it to the bottom of the first set. This will give the clearance needed from the camera to the water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shipjoy