Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Focus pull transitions best technique?

Reaction score
There is some hunt with refocusing that is not desirable and ruins shots. Going from set focus to infinity is an option but the transition is too fast. Ideally would be able to set two focus distances and alternate between them. Has anyone found a good technique using the go ap to manage a clean focus pull at a "normal" speed?

Have experimented with this you can prefocus and then transition to infinity if you don't need 4K can shoot higher fps and slow that transition 2x in post but having proper focus pull (ability for app to set and alternate between two settings with focus pull button would be ideal. I suspect Dji wants to push people towards the hardware solution instead which is a shame. Anyhow, if anyone comes up with a better workflow, please let me know!

Have experimented with this you can prefocus and then transition to infinity if you don't need 4K can shoot higher fps and slow that transition 2x in post but having proper focus pull (ability for app to set and alternate between two settings with focus pull button would be ideal. I suspect Dji wants to push people towards the hardware solution instead which is a shame. Anyhow, if anyone comes up with a better workflow, please let me know!

I haven't tried it yet, but with the latest RC FW update one can program the C1 button (holding down the C1 button) to allow use of the gimbal pitch wheel (left side) to change focus point. With careful use of the pitch wheel, it ought to make it easier to slowly change focus point.

the wheel works pretty good, but we need to be able to set hard stops/rack end points so as to not go too far.

Agreed hard stops are needed also the scale updates infrequently so it's not as easy to make a manual stop at the exact same place. In an ideal world you could define 2 positions and tap an onscreen button to transition between them at an user configurable speed. Hopefully in a future app update!

Reactions: johnmont250
my guess is dji will drag their feet on in app rack focus.
they want to sell you the $2,000 dji focus, which would be great if i had 2 more hands, or hire an ac/focus puller....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth