Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Follow Me "NOT" on I1

By the way, I just found on the DJI forum, someone from DJI posted that follow me for I1 is coming, in Go, as it is for the P3. The reason why it's not implemented yet, according to this DJI person, is that the Inspire1 is a lot more expensive and they want to be absolutely sure they have it right the first time.

FWIW

If you get autopilot does it stop you using dji go? Can you just switch between apps? I don't mean in flight, but at he start of the flight can you decide to use autopilot or dji go and just select that app?

If you get autopilot does it stop you using dji go? Can you just switch between apps? I don't mean in flight, but at he start of the flight can you decide to use autopilot or dji go and just select that app?
DJI only permits one app at a time to connect to the aircraft. You have to shut one down before starting another. For example, I start in DJI GO to start up and check Sensors and battery data. I then have to shutdown GO and open Autopilot to use its autonomous flight modes. In flight or after landing, I have to shut Autopilot down and restart GO to gain access to the detailed battery data. Another point to remember is that the DJI SDK, used by Autopilot and other third-party apps, does not permit data to be written to the DJI GO Flight Records so you will lose the consistent flight records and, if required, need to do more manual recording.

DJI only permits one app at a time to connect to the aircraft. You have to shut one down before starting another. For example, I start in DJI GO to start up and check Sensors and battery data. I then have to shutdown GO and open Autopilot to use its autonomous flight modes. In flight or after landing, I have to shut Autopilot down and restart GO to gain access to the detailed battery data. Another point to remember is that the DJI SDK, used by Autopilot and other third-party apps, does not permit data to be written to the DJI GO Flight Records so you will lose the consistent flight records and, if required, need to do more manual recording.

Thanks for that, I would like to try autopilot for use in odd occasions but want to be able to go back to go for general flying. Is the battery monitoring any good in autopilot?

Thanks for that, I would like to try autopilot for use in odd occasions but want to be able to go back to go for general flying. Is the battery monitoring any good in autopilot?
There is only a simple percentage remaining display in Autopilot. It has none of the detailed data available in GO. Autopilot has a much better POI (Orbit) mode than implemented in the GO Intelligent Navigation options. It can be set up from the map without overflying the POI and the bespoke flight laws are superior. The Focus (auto tracking) mode is brilliant if flying alone. Autopilot does not have a waypoint mode (yet).

Based on the description of shooting requirements, neither of these follow me offerings would be suitable .. the highly erratic surging redirections that I've experienced would terrify any subject under 32 feet.

Certainly with people unaware of what I'm doing but my talent knew what was going on and I flew manually very close to them and they were fine with it.

Most of you guys will have to accept the fact if you're going to do production work, you're going to have to fly the machine yourself.

Most of thiese automation features are selling tools, in real world production they are not going to do the job for you.

If the director called for a follow shot you should be able to do it yourself and not depend on a DJI to do the job for you.

Get yourself a practice machine like a Phantom 1/2 and fly the hell out of it. You're not going to learn aerial production in a few months.

Regards

I've been flying for almost two years now with the Phantom and now the I1, almost 100 hours. The I1 is SO much more powerful than the Phantom that I find it to be nearly impossible to do very, very slow flying and/or make small adjustments in direction when moving. One of the reasons I like the IFM is it's ability to control the speed of the craft down to a crawl while circling or doing Waypoints. I had a Futaba controller on our Phantom and it had a switch that would cut the power of the aircraft down without affecting it's altitude. That was great. Wish there was one on the I1 controller. With that feature I could do very slow pans, creep in on an object very slowly and more.

I'm also considering that a follow me mode wouldn't help alot but what's most important now, is why you say you can't go slow ? I've seen many videos shot with inspire with a very robotic moves, but also seen slow moving and panning with it.

I bellive some people don't setup the stick curves, unfortunately don't have yet the inspire to test, but I'm 99% sure there should be an option for this, I'm doing it at my moded Turnigy 9X transmitter, I did set it up when I change one of the switches position, my stick output it's not linear, but curved (Expo / DR setting on my TX, don't know where it is on Inspire controller)

I'm attaching some photos, if you can do the same on DJI controller than you should be able to move very slow.

Good thought. I have been experimenting with this on the I1. Haven't seen a big difference so far but I'm going slowly and carefully so as not to screw up the controls. I'll re-post if I get it to work with the settings I settle on.

Is there is a graph on the DJI app , like on mine Transmitter, when you modify this setting ?

I don't know how simulator is working but maybe you can test it out with the simulator first.

But if there is a graph, and you set it approximately like mine you will feel a huge difference, because when you are moving about 30% of stick travel, the I1 will know you only moved it ~ 5%

Good idea ovisopa. Here's what's available on the Go app controls. I went as far as I could with the curves...not as far as you did on your controller but it did seem to help, at least in the simulator. I still have to check on the actual I1. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_3600.PNG
    IMG_3600.PNG
    848.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes, that's great. You can increase the gain even more , but it's best to test to see what do you like most. But for videography I think it works better with even higher gain.

Hopefully tomorrow I will finally receive the I1 and can test myself. Hope everything will be ok after so much troubles with this order

Because you can move the controller sticks way more while the inspire turns in that direction just a little, I can't explain it better, but this just allows me to make very slow turns in any direction, and also while walking with the controller in hand it's not that sensitive to movements. From time to time I fly low between buildings and I need to follow the hexacopter to still see it while turning behind a building, in those situations, having a straight line on the EXPO will be more difficult to maintain direction.
on my controller, if I set the expo to 50, it "doubles the stick trave", for example if I move the Rudder stick to a quarter of it's travel, the hexa is making a full 360 degree rotation in 3 seconds, with expo at 50 and the same stick position, the hexa will make a full 360 rotation in 6 seconds

Now thats very strange because in the picture above its set to 0,30 and it should be exactly the opposite as you say.

Please note Expo adjustments DO NOT adjust the transmitter so that a given input makes a smaller difference to output. That is not the purpose of expo.
Expo (Exponential) adjustment simply desensitises the throw around mid stick only. It gives an Exponential curve to the stick input but be warned once you go outside of a given threshold the expo does nothing.
What you require to slow down the inputs (other than practice :rolleyes:) is what's known as dual rates and dual throw.
The Inspire remote does not have either of these adjustments - if it did and people started messing around with them to slow their yaw rates down etc, there would be numerous individuals bellyaching that they could no longer start their motors and not understand why.
It is a wise move on DJI's part not to include these adjustments which are only found on higher end TX's - it would cause more trouble than it would be worth especially if they gave you mixes as well. :eek:

Please note Expo adjustments DO NOT adjust the transmitter so that a given input makes a smaller difference to output. That is not the purpose of expo.
Expo (Exponential) adjustment simply desensitises the throw around mid stick only. It gives an Exponential curve to the stick input but be warned once you go outside of a given threshold the expo does nothing.
What you require to slow down the inputs (other than practice :rolleyes:) is what's known as dual rates and dual throw.
The Inspire remote does not have either of these adjustments - if it did and people started messing around with them to slow their yaw rates down etc, there would be numerous individuals bellyaching that they could no longer start their motors and not understand why.
It is a wise move on DJI's part not to include these adjustments which are only found on higher end TX's - it would course more trouble than it would be worth especially if they gave you mixes as well. :eek:
well i see your point, but if they wouldve used a different method for stopping/starting motors then they couldve included these adjustment abilities which would be very beneficial to many people I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla