Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Footage not smooth

Reaction score
I am new user of Inspire1 RAW, I am impressed with footage quality, sharpness, contrast and colors, but I noticed that my test footage was not smooth. Nothing terrible, but not good for professional use. I was flying in GPS mode.

one of the test footages: https://vimeo.com/168745228
(the footage is sped up a bit)

The gimbal settings are still on a default and I was pulling stick forward only on this flight. It was mostly calm weather. Is it pilot error (I am still learning), the consequence of GPS flight (atti would be better?), sudden gust of wind or should I play with gimbal settings? I am still learning everything so any input will be appreciated :)

Reactions: niki
It may not be the issue in your case, but I recently had some problems that looked similar to yours. It was actually a problem with the frame rate that the video was taken in and the frame rate I used in Premiere Pro to edit the footage which were different. I hadn't initially noticed that the sequence settings in Premiere Pro had changed from 23.976 frames to 25 frames per second, leading to a periodic flicker. Good luck.

Could be the frame rate settings when capturing the video too.

What sings were you using and had you any filters on?

4kRAW 24fps. Exported with Premiere with the same frame rate. It looks more as horizontal gimbal drift...

Excuse me if I speak as blind man, but I can not see in your clip any error realted to flying or to gimbal movement. Your footage seems bit jittery and choppy but that doesn't has anything to do with aircraft and camera motion.

Such jitter, even worse then in your clip, usually happen when 24fps clip is transcoded to 25fps timeline (when you do not conform to 25fps but let software to stretch 24 frames to 25 frames per second).

If you did not transcode your clips from one framerate to the other, I believe that jitter in your clip it is there due to regular motion in the shot captured with high shutter speed at low framerate... When you decide to shoot in low framerate, shuch as 24fps or 25fps, for shot to look smooth you should use shutter speed not greater then 1/50 (you can go even lower almost to 1/25).. By such practice you will create some motion blur in your frames so they will look smoother on playback. Lower the framerate and greater the move - there is greater need for motion blur... When filming slow movements from great distance lack of motion blur is not obvious, but when filming close action at 24fps you should definitely follow these shutter speed guidelines (popular "180 degree rule")...

If you suspect that your aircraft or gimbal or your flying skills are not perfect - try shooting your footage in 1080p 60fps with shutter speed 1/100. If problem persists even with such settings then upload that new footage and we will look together for clues...

Best regards and happy flying.

Looks indeed like mismatched capture/edit/export framerates. Speeding up can also cause that even if framerates are correct (as it is done by skipping frames here and there).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD