Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Found a pretty good niche for making some $

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Every postabout filming or work Deniis wil come out , to the license price etc seen him go around putting op down, guesshis prices are so chesp that the smount of work he has allowed him to fly 12 hr will surfing all post
I see that. I believe this forum is for sharing ideas and problem solving, I never claimed to be the worlds best editor.

I see that. I believe this forum is for sharing ideas and problem solving, I never claimed to be the worlds best editor.

I agree with some of what Dennis is saying, in that there's more to it than an hour of you being on site and an hour in the edit suite. There's driving, setup, importing footage, exporting, editing music etc... That's not even considering overhead costs: the drone, insurance, I'm assuming it cost a bit of money and/or time to get the 333? If this is a side gig for you and you just do it for friends and family for a good rate then sure, but if you really want to market your self as a business I would most definitely revise your pricing model and really take the time to figure out what makes a great video spot.
There are lots of skilled pilots undercharging, and also lots of crappy pilots overcharging, the key is to strike a balance between your ability and your pricing, like with any creative profession.
You may have a full-time job and aren't really too focused on drone productions which is fine, I am just assuming you would like to pursue this as a profitable venture since you have taken the time to get your 333.
Just some ideas.

I agree with some of what Dennis is saying, in that there's more to it than an hour of you being on site and an hour in the edit suite. There's driving, setup, importing footage, exporting, editing music etc... That's not even considering overhead costs: the drone, insurance, I'm assuming it cost a bit of money and/or time to get the 333? If this is a side gig for you and you just do it for friends and family for a good rate then sure, but if you really want to market your self as a business I would most definitely revise your pricing model and really take the time to figure out what makes a great video spot.
There are lots of skilled pilots undercharging, and also lots of crappy pilots overcharging, the key is to strike a balance between your ability and your pricing, like with any creative profession.
You may have a full-time job and aren't really too focused on drone productions which is fine, I am just assuming you would like to pursue this as a profitable venture since you have taken the time to get your 333.
Just some ideas.

True.. I do have a nice paying full time job. When I first got into this last year, I just wanted to make enough money to pay for the equipment, but it has grown into more than that. Like I said before, I really do enjoy doing it, but since a couple of you have proposed pricing adjustment, what do you think it should be?

Well, its something I do enjoy doing, and it's not that I don't care. We all live in different demographic areas, and mine is right in the middle of Oil Country.. and we all know what a beating it has taken in the past 14 months. So, this pricing may seem cheap in your area, and yours may seem unreasonably high in mine... Just curious, what do you think its worth?
I think a video is done to sell a product or service. Can you really tell me that your videos do that? I know you like to show off your drone but to fly around a shed is not really going to make the client money is it?
As I said, you can learn the skills to actually make money for the client but its much more than a bit of filming. As you said, it takes you 30 mins to film and 30 mins to edit. I don't think your video is cheap. I just think the way and time you put into it is of no value. You will notice I always get howled down by a few here for being frank but Im older and have been very successful in my business for 18 years. Im too far from you to worry about what you do so you cant affect my business but I am amazed you have no respect for the skills that we had to learn to be able to do this type of work. If times have been bad there it is more important than ever that you learn the skills and provide the client with a way to make them money. I would charge at least 6 times more than you but I would make the client money and happy that he had the video produced. The fact that you enjoy this work is great and shows you have a talent, but all Im saying is to learn how to create a video that you can sell to a client. There are millions on the net and tv. just sit back and take notice how they are filmed and put together and how they sell a message.
Remember, we get paid for what we know..not for what we do.

Reactions: mrdiverdave
Wow....not even a wow or nice! Just "are you allowed to fly and produce videos"!

Government has really trained its citizens as policemen.
People that are not qualified are ruining it for our business. I dont know what work you do but if I came to your work and told your boss i would do your job for 10% of the rate you charge, Im sure you wouldnt like it. The truth is most of these cheap guys are making a mockery because they dont have the skills to make the client money. This is our living. In Australia we pay 10k for a license so its not right that anyone who has the money can go to a shop and fly their drone all over the place illegally and without regard for the rules. I often wonder if I did the right thing getting a license because its so restricting. You guys think its a toy and you can do what you like. it won't be long and some drone will come down and kill someone and they will be banned. After watching these pages and seeing what some are up to, I don't really expect to be able to use the drone for my work for too long. The drone is only a small part of my work in production anyway so Im prepared for that. I dont really charge for drone work but I use the footage to create a better commercial or video for the client. If everyone uses a drone it will have no value. I used a good jib for 10 years to give my work a wow factor but now its for sale. I have not used it for years. We have to keep looking for new ideas. This is our living and passion.

Reactions: southerndoug
True.. I do have a nice paying full time job. When I first got into this last year, I just wanted to make enough money to pay for the equipment, but it has grown into more than that. Like I said before, I really do enjoy doing it, but since a couple of you have proposed pricing adjustment, what do you think it should be?
Well firstly the last thing I would do is set a static pricing for length of video. I would quote on each video separately depending on exactly what the client is after. If you are having trouble determining a direction with the client, get them to show you a video they like online or maybe bring some ideas to them of other videos you know you can accomplish within your skill set. To me it looks like you can fly but are pretty new/inexperienced at editing and planning shots, so invest some time in that realm so you have a point of difference over your competitors in the area.
Once you are confident you can put together a nice, compelling end product that has high production value set a day and half day rates for yourself and even your wife if she is going to be interviewing and needed on site. Bill out things like travel greater than 50 km, stock music licensing fees etc. and you will find that your pricing will go up.
Let's say you charge 500/day, 250/half-day for just filming, then you charge the same for editing (for the sake of this example). You drive out, get set up and shoot a 30 second spot in a half day. Then with client feedback and revisions you spend a day editing, total. Then you have to pay for stock music, maybe $50-100. Now you're at the approximately $1000 mark total for a basic 30 second piece. Except now you have a half day on location so can get more than a handful of shots. You can plan things out with the person you are interview and use your Osmo in more creative ways, perhaps set up some shots with 'extras' so you can get some better b-roll. It's not rocket science but if you take the time to learn the craft and are committed to making a go of it, the industry is blowing up and you could position yourself as a reputable provider in your area.

Well firstly the last thing I would do is set a static pricing for length of video. I would quote on each video separately depending on exactly what the client is after. If you are having trouble determining a direction with the client, get them to show you a video they like online or maybe bring some ideas to them of other videos you know you can accomplish within your skill set. To me it looks like you can fly but are pretty new/inexperienced at editing and planning shots, so invest some time in that realm so you have a point of difference over your competitors in the area.
Once you are confident you can put together a nice, compelling end product that has high production value set a day and half day rates for yourself and even your wife if she is going to be interviewing and needed on site. Bill out things like travel greater than 50 km, stock music licensing fees etc. and you will find that your pricing will go up.
Let's say you charge 500/day, 250/half-day for just filming, then you charge the same for editing (for the sake of this example). You drive out, get set up and shoot a 30 second spot in a half day. Then with client feedback and revisions you spend a day editing, total. Then you have to pay for stock music, maybe $50-100. Now you're at the approximately $1000 mark total for a basic 30 second piece. Except now you have a half day on location so can get more than a handful of shots. You can plan things out with the person you are interview and use your Osmo in more creative ways, perhaps set up some shots with 'extras' so you can get some better b-roll. It's not rocket science but if you take the time to learn the craft and are committed to making a go of it, the industry is blowing up and you could position yourself as a reputable provider in your area.
Excellent.... Thank you for the input! Great points!

Reactions: duncanthecrow
Excellent reply. Spot on. Thats exactly how I work. I charge different rates for different clients depending on what I think they want to pay. The normal rate here for drone footage is $550 an hour. Thats an extra and the client needs to pay that or he cant have it. I still think I can put a good video together for $2,000 without paying anyone. I can do one a day.

Reactions: duncanthecrow
People that are not qualified are ruining it for our business. I dont know what work you do but if I came to your work and told your boss i would do your job for 10% of the rate you charge, Im sure you wouldnt like it. The truth is most of these cheap guys are making a mockery because they dont have the skills to make the client money. This is our living. In Australia we pay 10k for a license so its not right that anyone who has the money can go to a shop and fly their drone all over the place illegally and without regard for the rules. I often wonder if I did the right thing getting a license because its so restricting. You guys think its a toy and you can do what you like. it won't be long and some drone will come down and kill someone and they will be banned. After watching these pages and seeing what some are up to, I don't really expect to be able to use the drone for my work for too long. The drone is only a small part of my work in production anyway so Im prepared for that. I dont really charge for drone work but I use the footage to create a better commercial or video for the client. If everyone uses a drone it will have no value. I used a good jib for 10 years to give my work a wow factor but now its for sale. I have not used it for years. We have to keep looking for new ideas. This is our living and passion.

You got a point there Dennis but the reality in this current environment, especially here in Murica', is the accessibility and easy to fly sUAS that any "Joe" or "bloke" for that matter can make money flying around.

Some of the best aerial footage I've seen involves a certain theme to it. Either be a landscape scene or a youtube commercial, and these clips were mostly flown in ATTI mode, and not GPS.

I too am a big fan of overall content and like all things like drone these are tools to a craft. A craft that take years of imagination to hone and execute.

I've been involved in the entertainment industry now for over 5 years and I've seen competitors come and go but people still come to me based on the quality and commitment of the work I do and the end result.

Yes my competitor may out do me on pricing by almost 50% but they get what they pay for.

Well firstly the last thing I would do is set a static pricing for length of video. I would quote on each video separately depending on exactly what the client is after. If you are having trouble determining a direction with the client, get them to show you a video they like online or maybe bring some ideas to them of other videos you know you can accomplish within your skill set...

Were you spying on me? :D

This is how I engage with a customer. I sit down with them and understand what they want or how they imagine the final product should look like. Not want to look like.

It sounds as if you are living on assumptions and what ifs. I've been in the media production business for 30 years and been flying drones for over 10 years. Does that place me in your "not qualified" category? Does that mean I need to have someone else bless me on how good I am before I'm allowed to fly?

"you guys think its a toy"

Again your thinking is behind the times. There are many great pilots here that never get recognized because its not negative news. You want to assume that if everyone gets licensed they will automatically be good.

That guy was showing is great production and flying work. All you cared about is if he was licensed. Thats government talk!

Last edited:
Were you spying on me? :D

This is how I engage with a customer. I sit down with them and understand what they want or how they imagine the final product should look like. Not want to look like.

Yep, I was reading over your shoulder, got my 45mm lens so felt like testing it out on some unsuspecting forum members ;)

I think a video is done to sell a product or service. Can you really tell me that your videos do that? I know you like to show off your drone but to fly around a shed is not really going to make the client money is it?
Let me reiterate why I started this post in the first place. I guess in my area, there are not quite the expectations in advertising as in larger areas such as the East or West Coast. That being said, I can produce short, affordable vids for clients to use on their website, or Social Media... NOT broadcast television.... The price reflects the product. Can I make better videos? Sure, but it will cost more of course.. and that's not why I brought it up. Point being, for Social Media, and a small amount of time and effort, this might be a good investment of your time.... Obviously, depending on your geographic location.

Last edited:
Reactions: gruvpix and marg2
Let me reiterate why I started this post in the first place. I guess in my area, there are not quite the expectations in advertising as in larger areas such as the East of West Coast. That being said, I can produce short, affordable vids for clients to use on their website, or Social Media... NOT broadcast television.... The price reflects the product. Can I make better videos? Sure, but it will cost more of course.. and that's not why I brought it up. Point being, for Social Media, and a small amount of time and effort, this might be a good investment of your time.... Obviously, depending on your geographic location.
yeah man, everyone has their niche. so what if you're not working on 1000s of high profile commercials... keep doing what you're doing and learning. as you gain more experience you will find you can charge more because you can do things you weren't able to or didn't know of when you started.

Right on... I have two days a week off, and it keeps me busy when Im not on my day job, and the checks are coming in. Seems like every job leads to a referral, and that works for me now. Like you said, the more experience.... its all good. Hell, I had never even seen a editing program before 8 months ago.

@Highrpm955 Very nice videos man! I am also an Inspire 1 and Osmo guy. I especially enjoyed watching the Allstate video, I'm an Allstate field adjuster myself...and actually just finished up a video for the company for a corporate event. I"m glad you're enjoying what you're doing, and honestly I think the price you're charging for the type of videos posted here, seems appropriate. I look forward to your future videos. Keep up the great work!

As an aside...I'm also pretty put-off by some others' attitudes participating in this forum. I feel that no matter one's experience or knowledge, it shouldn't exempt a person from courtesy and a mentor-ship approach. From another beginner myself (in this hobby), I can say..that to have the heart of a teacher instead of an accuser, will be much better received. I feel Highrpm955 has taken much less offense that I would have, had this been my post. I'm having a lot of fun learning this new hobby, but I also echo GizaDog, in that I'm sure most, if not all of us, do take flying/safety seriously as well. Please be kind to us people learning a new skill, I doubt you professionals started out with your current level of experience either.

As I said, you can learn the skills to actually make money for the client but its much more than a bit of filming. As you said, it takes you 30 mins to film and 30 mins to edit. I don't think your video is cheap. I just think the way and time you put into it is of no value. You will notice I always get howled down by a few here for being frank but Im older and have been very successful in my business for 18 years. Im too far from you to worry about what you do so you cant affect my business but I am amazed you have no respect for the skills that we had to learn to be able to do this type of work. If times have been bad there it is more important than ever that you learn the skills and provide the client with a way to make them money. I would charge at least 6 times more than you but I would make the client money and happy that he had the video produced. The fact that you enjoy this work is great and shows you have a talent, but all Im saying is to learn how to create a video that you can sell to a client. There are millions on the net and tv. just sit back and take notice how they are filmed and put together and how they sell a message.
Remember, we get paid for what we know..not for what we do.
do you teach oh master? :) - i would be really interested to learn. unfortunatley i am sitting in Hungary :( any idea of distant teaching? any chance for some documentations or link where to learn from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sirhc
@Highrpm955 Very nice videos man! I am also an Inspire 1 and Osmo guy. I especially enjoyed watching the Allstate video, I'm an Allstate field adjuster myself...and actually just finished up a video for the company for a corporate event. I"m glad you're enjoying what you're doing, and honestly I think the price you're charging for the type of videos posted here, seems appropriate. I look forward to your future videos. Keep up the great work!

As an aside...I'm also pretty put-off by some others' attitudes participating in this forum. I feel that no matter one's experience or knowledge, it shouldn't exempt a person from courtesy and a mentor-ship approach. From another beginner myself (in this hobby), I can say..that to have the heart of a teacher instead of an accuser, will be much better received. I feel Highrpm955 has taken much less offense that I would have, had this been my post. I'm having a lot of fun learning this new hobby, but I also echo GizaDog, in that I'm sure most, if not all of us, do take flying/safety seriously as well. Please be kind to us people learning a new skill, I doubt you professionals started out with your current level of experience either.
Thank you Sir!... I do take the safety and regs seriously. That's why I spend the time to get the 333 early on, I didn't want to look up down the road and wished I had done it earlier. It's come in quite handy. I've been flying RC for 35+ years, and just this past 8 months or so, I've gotten really interesting in learning editing.. to me it's just fun to see what you can create.

Last edited:
@Highrpm955 Rock on Dud, glad you have a way to pay your I1 wile enjoin it, for those Super Licence,Professional video Photographers charging 1k+ is great, BUT Did you ever have wonder about those, who are Real Pilots, expended Thousand on Learning to Fly, buying a real Helicopter to make their living doing Aerial filming, what they will say about you! us!?
There is always another side of the coin
So lets be honest, safe, and fallow the rules of the land
Like I said Glad your enjoying your Bird
Live and let live

@Highrpm955 Rock on Dud, glad you have a way to pay your I1 wile enjoin it, for those Super Licence,Professional video Photographers charging 1k+ is great, BUT Did you ever have wonder about those, who are Real Pilots, expended Thousand on Learning to Fly, buying a real Helicopter to make their living doing Aerial filming, what they will say about you! us!?
There is always another side of the coin
So lets be honest, safe, and fallow the rules of the land
Like I said Glad your enjoying your Bird
Live and let live

Right!.... Speaking of the Law, this was by far the best experience I have ever had filming for a promo. These dudes where so awesome to work with. We defiantly broke the Law going from location to location. Everywhere we went, we were hauling *** with 10 cop cars lit up. We did this in one afternoon. .. and that f'ing Flash Bomb was... **** loud, even with plugs and muffs on.. before the Osmo, GoPro 4 on a BeSteady Gimbal..... I think I sharted slightly..

Last edited:
Reactions: tbird68 and marg2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44