Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fpv mod - tapping into power

Any clever buggers out there know how to plug into the power source behind the nose cone?

Fitting an fpv camera tomorrow and would like to save the hassle of a separate battery.

I need to power the camera and separate transmitter.

I know there is a power source but any suggestions?

How To Install Flytrex Live 3G on Your DJI Inspire 1 - Dronethusiast

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Unlikely that a 5.8ghz video TX and camera will run off 6s (>22v) so you will need to fit a UBEC to drop the voltage to a useable level.
The feed that article points to may already be a 5v supply but without knowing what current it can supply I would be hesitant to fit a 25mW transmitter (which is the legal maximum in the UK) as well as a camera to it!

There are several 5.8ghz VTX that will run off 6S, I currently run a TBS HV transmitter directly off the I1 flight battery. I grabbed power from the battery slot (peel back the thick plastic sticker just below where the battery plugs in). I put the VTX and Camera in the nose cone and can unplug it if not needed and can even replace the nose with a standard nose cone if I want.

Reactions: The Editor
There are several 5.8ghz VTX that will run off 6S, I currently run a TBS HV transmitter directly off the I1 flight battery. I grabbed power from the battery slot (peel back the thick plastic sticker just below where the battery plugs in). I put the VTX and Camera in the nose cone and can unplug it if not needed and can even replace the nose with a standard nose cone if I want.
Well there ya go then. :)
@mikeL - there are some video TX that will happily play with 6s packs.....
Doesn't get round the 25mW EIRP limitation for the UK though :(

I was thinking of mounting the camera to the X5 anti vibration plate.

I was thinking of mounting the camera to the X5 anti vibration plate.

Running wires from the mounting plate to the main body could alter its damping characteristics - you would have to try some trial and error and see how it performs.

Reactions: mikeL
I just found out the compass modual is in the nose cone so I think it would be best to stay away from it.

I just found out the compass modual is in the nose cone so I think it would be best to stay away from it.

It can be done (there are commercial kits readily available and fitting service) but you will need to calibrate your compass after fitting to take into account the proximity of the camera to the magnetometer

Inspire 1 FPV Camera Upgrade Kit and Build - Heliguy

The TBS HV transmitter can be set the 25mw. I'm in the US so I have mine set to 200mw and have not seen any negative effects on the compass.

See my thread on using GoPro as fpv much easier and links to phone using capture app

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
I've found a 6v power source. Having spent many hours searching the internet I noticed that the CAN BUS and UART ports on the Matrice 100 look very similar to the ports on the front of the Inspire under the nose cone. The empty one I took for the UART, see photo. I found a pin layout, see attached that shows ground on pin 3 and 6V on pin 6. I got a cable here DJIMAT-30 UART Cable and swapped the pins around to match the diagram. I then got a step-up transformer here DC-DC Boost Module Converter 3V 3.3V 3.7V 5V to 12v 1200mA Step-up Power Supply | eBay
Bingo 12v feed right where you need it. Everything works but I've still to field test it, I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_7822.JPG
    IMG_7822.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7823.JPG
    IMG_7823.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 153
  • Matrice26.png
    Matrice26.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 157
Hi mike .
I found a 7.4v dc tapping on the ultrasonic board that powers both my fpv tx and camera .
you can buy the short ribbon cable from midland helicopters for about £7 so you can return it standard if needs be . if you need any help or picture of the install just fire me a quick email [email protected]

Hi mike .
I found a 7.4v dc tapping on the ultrasonic board that powers both my fpv tx and camera .
you can buy the short ribbon cable from midland helicopters for about £7 so you can return it standard if needs be . if you need any help or picture of the install just fire me a quick email [email protected]

I'd be interested in this install too. Where at Midland Heli? I can't find it....
Have you flight tested it??

I'd be interested in this install too. Where at Midland Heli? I can't find it....
Hi everyone .

The cable was found on Milandhelicopters DJI spares page but if you have no luck on there you could try Marionville models who are also very helpful when it comes to getting spares .
I've flight tested the inspire with the FPV mod but only to a range of 1250meters that's running a Boscmam diversity monitor and 11.2 db gain whip antennas as the ground station . I'm just awaiting a Menace rc raptor antenna to try as these have proven to be fantastic on my FPV 250 racer . ill try an put up some pictures of what I've done so you can let me know what you think .
cheers Ian

Just simply velcro on a small 400mAh 2 cell lipo.
Bonus, and if your main battery shuts off midflight, you will still be able to watch where you crash :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk