Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've seen some people add an FPV camera to there inspire for commercial work with an additional FPV screen along with ipad. What is the point in doing this? Isn't the video feed of the ipad good enough??

Thanks.

When you are flying forward with the camera facing the rear the FPV will allow you to see what you are about to fly into.

I feel more comfortable just using the main camera as monitor, Having another monitor to keep track of is just one more thing to think about. I shoot golf courses and real estate developments. Most of what I shoot is looking straight ahead. When I do need a side shot I'm either high enough not to have to worry about obstacles or so close that line of sight allows for the safest and most accurate maneuvering anyway.
For some I'm sure FPV is great. I'm just more comfortable without it.

I use one all the time on my inspire and my S900. I don't use it as my main form of orientation, I always fly line of sight, but sometimes it's very useful. I may need to fly through gaps or keep the drone's flight path parallel to something and the shot doesn't allow me a good viewing angle.

I use one all the time on my inspire and my S900. I don't use it as my main form of orientation, I always fly line of sight, but sometimes it's very useful. I may need to fly through gaps or keep the drone's flight path parallel to something and the shot doesn't allow me a good viewing angle.

^ This, but also its mostly for when you're flying as the pilot and using a 2nd person doing the filming. It allows you to focus on flying and letting the camera guy do what he wants with the camera.

personally, I'll never understand why DJI didn't build it into a 'dual controller' version considering it probably would only cost them an extra $100 or so. It just makes too much sense.

Reactions: Dxtrty
Doesn't the I2 have a dedicated FPV camera that works within the app so you can switch between FPV and the X5S? I wish we could incorporate that sort of system into the I1. I think I would feel safer having the option and if I understand correctly the aftermarket FPV cameras available for the I1 have better video range than the X5 or X3 for that matter, so if you loose connection with the photo camera you still have a "flight" camera to rely on and either complete your mission or fly home with the benefit of sight. Also if your photo camera is looking in the opposite direction I feel it would help get your bearings a lot quicker if you need to fly in a different direction.

Doesn't the I2 have a dedicated FPV camera that works within the app so you can switch between FPV and the X5S? I wish we could incorporate that sort of system into the I1. I think I would feel safer having the option and if I understand correctly the aftermarket FPV cameras available for the I1 have better video range than the X5 or X3 for that matter, so if you loose connection with the photo camera you still have a "flight" camera to rely on and either complete your mission or fly home with the benefit of sight. Also if your photo camera is looking in the opposite direction I feel it would help get your bearings a lot quicker if you need to fly in a different direction.
The thing is, with analog FPV the image gradually distorts when the signal is getting less. In a lot of cases where the I1's video screen is already green or black, the 5.8Ghz FPV still shows something, even if with a lot of noise. 2km range is quite normal for 600-800mW setup.
It's very simple to add a little Sony FPV camera with velcro, and a small transmitter and battery, also with velcro under the tail light. You only need to add a small diversity receiver/screen and you're good to go. I have a FatShark setup for that and a diversity screen.
Indeed handy when working with a cameraman.

Attachments

• fpv transmitter.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 58
  • fpvcamera.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: jlrsn and Mixchief
The thing is, with analog FPV the image gradually distorts when the signal is getting less. In a lot of cases where the I1's video screen is already green or black, the 5.8Ghz FPV still shows something, even if with a lot of noise. 2km range is quite normal for 600-800mW setup.
It's very simple to add a little Sony FPV camera with velcro, and a small transmitter and battery, also with velcro under the tail light. You only need to add a small diversity receiver/screen and you're good to go. I have a FatShark setup for that and a diversity screen.
Indeed handy when working with a cameraman.
any images from the fpv camera? Oh and, what is battery life on this setup, cost etc?

any images from the fpv camera? Oh and, what is battery life on this setup, cost etc?
The second image I posted is the fpv camera.

Battery life for the camera and transmitter is quite long. Never really tested how long but it lasts at least for all the flights I would ever care to fly in one day. The battery is a very small 2s 7.2V Lipo. Could use a bigger one since the transmitter takes everything from like 5 to 20V (or more, not sure). The transmitter feeds the little camera with 5V. Adds only very little extra weight.

I think my setup was only about 400 bucks (4 years ago) complete with Fatshark Predator FPV glasses but without the receiver/screen. I think a Fatshark camera and transmitter combo is about 120-150 bucks. You can get a decent screen with built in diversity receiver for another 150 and a very good one for a lot more. But it's only for occasional nose positioning or orientation. I care more about the signal than the actual image, as long as it's clearly visible I'm satisfied.
I usually put the screen on a tripod so I can glance at it every now and then. If I mount it to close near the antennae from the I1 RC, I get interference om the FPV screen. It doesn't effect the I1 own video signal at all.

The FPV camera on the picture is the Fatshark/Sony 600TVL, transmitter shown on the other picture is the Fatshark/Immersion 5.8GHz 250Mw. Fatshark/Immersion is reliable. They were the dominant brand for FVP stuff for years.

I meant 250mW, at least that's my transmitter and I have got a range of 2km with it. I really need only a few hundred meters so that's well enough.
yeah, sounds like plenty of distance for piece of mind. However, what I wanted to see was screen captures of the image transmitted from the fpv camera, but thinking about it I guess it's not easy to get that from fpv goggles

Yes it sure does...and it is very nice to have it integrated. We also integrate them into M600 set ups where they are not factory built in. The M600 uses LightBridge 2 - which transmits dual HD video signals from the copter to the ground. You just wire in an FPV cam into the 2nd video input and you are set. Also, with the Inspire 1, M600, Inspire 2, etc you can run a second screen from the HDMI port on the back of the radio. We arrange the mounting of this set up using Secraft trays (which we sell on our website) so the pilot can have an FPV feed and see where the drone is flying - but also have a camera view to see and understand the shot the camera operator is framing up. We have found that the pilot understands the shot much more being able to see it develop vs being told which direction to fly in.

Anyway, these systems can not be integrated into the app with the Inspire 1, but can easily be used to accomplish the things that people are doing on the systems that are built into the newer hardware.

If anyone has any more questions about the Inspire 1, Inspire 2, or any of the things you need to get a nice dual monitor set up on the ground just let me know.

Thanks!

Michael
www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

Reactions: SanCap
yeah, sounds like plenty of distance for piece of mind. However, what I wanted to see was screen captures of the image transmitted from the fpv camera, but thinking about it I guess it's not easy to get that from fpv goggles
It's quite easy, my FPV screen has a built in SD recorder. You see it's not very high res. There are HD fpv cams as well. But for occasional orientation this is more than enough.
I don't know if there's a way to tap into the OSD telemetry from the Inspire1.

vlcsnap-2017-04-20-09h55m57s778.png

Reactions: Mixchief

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajal142