Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Freezing the image Ipad Mini 2

Yep, using the Mini 2 resulted in a crash on our Phantom due to the freezing/laggy video signal. No point risking the Inspire with such a tablet it really needs to be latest gen - iPad Air 2 or Mini 4

Odd, my Mini 2 works just fine and always has. Hardware decode on, cache disabled but I leave everything else as it came.

Never had a problem with ipad mini 2 here with nearly a years use. I always make sure no apps are running in the background and put it into airplane mode before any flight, silky smooth image always.

I have a curious information on crashes in the image.

At about two months began to freeze my image in the mini ipad 2. I tried all possible configurations and did not improve at all. Saturday I decided to open the "nose" to see if there were any loose cable or something. There was nothing loose, just looked and closed. When I tested again magically no longer had any lag.

Yesterday flew and went to 1.5km away and not frozen. I do not know what happened! Just did this and gave no lag.

Coming in a little late here but here is my drama with my iPad Mini and my Inspire 1 Pro Black... i think i fixed it (i think)...

VIDEO ISSUES with Inspire 1 Pro Black using iPad Mini 4

OK, so i finally get my first Inspire 1 Pro Black, upgrade the firmware to 1.9.30 and went out to my driveway and life was good, drone flew pretty darn good, lightbridge feed was great.

Whenever i would leave and go down the road to the park or somewhere else the video feed / lightbridge whatever you want to call it would go to ****. Soon as i would get back home things would be perfect again.

Took me a minute to put 2 and 2 together but apparently when my iPad was on WIFI at the house things were good, soon as it switched over to Verizon away from the house automatically which is built into the iPad the bad video would come back. And yes my signal was perfect on Verizon. My wife has a P4, iPad Mini 4 also with Verizon and zero problems. She would only fly hers after mine was shut off completely, and vice versa as i know the RC's can interfere with each other.

I had so many problems after dropping close to 4.5K on this drone i decided to send it back. I ordered another from a different vendor, this one is DJI authorized, the first wasn't, either way both were new.

I set up the second one and i didnt upgrade the firmware right away, left it all on the defaults it shipped with which was 1.4.10. Still worked perfect at home in the driveway but had the video issues soon as it wasn't on WIFI. Swapped USB cables, calibrated everything, you name i did, and multiple times. Also... turned off the "cached flight recording".

Finally last night i was so frustrated i decided to the upgrade the firmware on the newest bird i just got, went out front and flew fine but it was late and never left the WIFI.

Today i took it a few miles away and for about the first 2 minutes it seemed fine, then all the video issues came back.

This is running on the version 9 iOS software, not 10.

So, not knowing what on else i could possibly do and the only common denominator in the situation was the iPad mini i went and bought a Samsung tablet with Verizon.

The Samsung Tab E 8 with Verizon's display sucked, the resolution was awful but i was willing to try anything, hooked it all up inside the house, set all the settings, it linked up fine. Made sure it wasn't on WIFI walked outside fired up the bird, the RC and on the Samsung tablet it said disconnected. The controls would still let me take off and move the cam but just no video, it said disconnected. At this point this is all becoming comical.

SO... last effort before just sending it back, i factory wiped the iPad Mini back to defaults then upgraded it to iOS 10. I took it off WIFI, went outside, linked it up, it linked fine, i took off, about 2 mins into the flight the video issues came back! I checked the settings in flight and noticed the "disable video recording cache" was not selected, i selected it and the problems went away immediately! I flew it for about 10 more minutes checking the cam and the video in both modes and pretty much acted perfect the way it should.

The only issue i seem to be having at this point is when im about 5 foot off the ground its moving back and forth about 1-2 feet and sometimes if im hovering low enough it will just land on its own. But honestly at this point, im just glad im not having video issues. I will test out tommorow much more but if the video issues happen again the only thing i can think of possibly doing is returning the whole thing.

Keep in mind i calibrated the IMU, compass, RC, gimbel, everything.. numerous times throughout the days.

Sweet Mother of God, this has really worn me out over the last 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

No, i dont agree you should have to disable all the basic features to fly this bird, DJI needs to fix this mess, if you disable GPS you have to cache all the maps locally which is a pain, so many people disable almost every feature they originally bought the Inspire for just to fly it, thats not OK with me, you buy a car, IT WORKS, you buy a new TV, it WORKS, i spend 5K on a drone, it needs to work! Not barking at you, i appreciate your comment but its just ridiculous to have to put the tablet in airplane mode to be able to fly.

No, i dont agree you should have to disable all the basic features to fly this bird, DJI needs to fix this mess, if you disable GPS you have to cache all the maps locally which is a pain, so many people disable almost every feature they originally bought the Inspire for just to fly it, thats not OK with me, you buy a car, IT WORKS, you buy a new TV, it WORKS, i spend 5K on a drone, it needs to work! Not barking at you, i appreciate your comment but its just ridiculous to have to put the tablet in airplane mode to be able to fly.
I never put my iPad in airplane mode , and always fly with video recording enabled ( great backup to the SD ) coming up on 1 year with no problems...

Reactions: Tommy Bayshore
No, actually it isn't. WiFi 802.11b, g, & n works on the already overcrowded 2.4ghz spectrum. The same spectrum that your Inspire controller uses to fly the aircraft.
This means you have a tablet that generates 2.4ghz rf energy about two inches from your remote control antennas which are using 2.4ghz to 'talk' to your aircraft and maintain a control link.
It is actually written into my commercial ops manual to put everything into airplane mode during pre flight checklists in order to mitigate risk.
Aviation, is all about risk mitigation and redundancy if possible not 'oh it should just work because I paid xx dollars for it'
Anything that can be done to take risk out of any flight should be done. Although you may have 100 flights without incident with WiFi turned on that 101st flight could be the one where the front end of the Remote control gets swamped by your tablet searching for a WiFi signal to lock onto and you lose control of your Inspire.

WIFI is turned off all the time, only cellular data is on and bluetooth is also off. I do not believe that cell data uses the 2.4Ghz frequency?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44