Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Go Pro 5 = :(

Reaction score
It looks the go pro 5 BE is nothing but a spruced up hero 4 BE.

I like the image stabilisation and built in screen, the practicality of it, but what's the point of having image stabilization if the video its producing is the same, 8 bit, tired, looking stuff you're seen since the 3+ days?

What happened to the new soc chip that was supposed to give us better MBPS, colour depth and codecs?
I don't have the full specs yet, but from the basics they've posted on their site, the video I have seen, and the natural assumption they would bang on about this stuff if it were there, I don't think it is, even the photos are the same resolution as before.

Really really disappointed. I'm sure it will be great for joe consumer, but for those of us who were were expecting the next level of video quality, I'm afraid we're going ot have to look elsewhere.

It looks to me like they just welded a 4 BE together with the screen, made it water proof, added voice command, and a banged out the same product.

I repeat I think its a great product for your average consumer, but I don't think its greedy of me to expect an upgrade in photos and video from the quality I have had for years.

Reactions: SanCap
I'm excited for it [emoji4] combined with the karma it'll be an amazing on the go cam / drone. Unless DJI's mavic is insane it'll be hard to beat. Especially with the karma stick not needing an iPhone to operate. I'm selling my
Phantom 4. I just need my
Inspire pro +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks the go pro 5 BE is nothing but a spruced up hero 4 BE.

I like the image stabilisation and built in screen, the practicality of it, but what's the point of having image stabilization if the video its producing is the same, 8 bit, tired, looking stuff you're seen since the 3+ days?

What happened to the new soc chip that was supposed to give us better MBPS, colour depth and codecs?
I don't have the full specs yet, but from the basics they've posted on their site, the video I have seen, and the natural assumption they would bang on about this stuff if it were there, I don't think it is, even the photos are the same resolution as before.

Really really disappointed. I'm sure it will be great for joe consumer, but for those of us who were were expecting the next level of video quality, I'm afraid we're going ot have to look elsewhere.

It looks to me like they just welded a 4 BE together with the screen, made it water proof, added voice command, and a banged out the same product.

I repeat I think its a great product for your average consumer, but I don't think its greedy of me to expect an upgrade in photos and video from the quality I have had for years.

I am pretty sure that is who they are targeting, it will be a nice package for joe consumer to buy into. I am thinking they may have hit the mark for the product. I don't think they thought they would win over the prosumer or semi professionals. I was never thinking that the new gopro would be my next upgrade although it would have been great if they did pull that off.

I would rather and inspire with X5R. Sadly this no means DJI has the market to themselves.
If go pro had come out with 10 bit video etc etc, DJI would have HAD to update their cameras, now they can just keep stringing us along, with
I am pretty sure that is who they are targeting, it will be a nice package for joe consumer to buy into. I am thinking they may have hit the mark for the product. I don't think they thought they would win over the prosumer or semi professionals. I was never thinking that the new gopro would be my next upgrade although it would have been great if they did pull that off.

Agreed, its too bad they could not offer the next jump in quality though.

They've been pushing those shitty wide angle 12mp photos for years and I'm sick and tired of that go pro look video which they could have moved on from with switchable lenses and 10 bit video with a boost in MBPS. Is that asking too much?

Looks like I'm going to have to go down the X5R route and just be a ***** to DJI.

I would rather and inspire with X5R. Sadly this no means DJI has the market to themselves.
If go pro had come out with 10 bit video etc etc, DJI would have HAD to update their cameras, now they can just keep stringing us along, with

Agreed, its too bad they could not offer the next jump in quality though.

They've been pushing those shitty wide angle 12mp photos for years and I'm sick and tired of that go pro look video which they could have moved on from with switchable lenses and 10 bit video with a boost in MBPS. Is that asking too much?

Looks like I'm going to have to go down the X5R route and just be a ***** to DJI.

If gopro just replaced their stock lens with one of the after market non fisheye lenses I think some of us might consider upgrading to the newer camera.

If gopro just replaced their stock lens with one of the after market non fisheye lenses I think some of us might consider upgrading to the newer camera.

you can with the rib cage from back-bone...
nice product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. As someone who does adventure sports (and has a PFCO or whatever they have decided to call it this week), the Inspire, and even the Phantom lacks portability in many ways. With the ProTune modes available, the Hero 5 will produce better quality footage than the X3. Never mind the X5. It is well within DJI's ability to make a new X3, but with a better processing chipset to allow much higher bitrates. Why they don't is beyond me.

But this Karma, and what seems to be the Mavic, look like great solutions to filming adventure sports, and amazingly Mr Editor, we Brits don't generally go around calling people dudes or doing "sick" things while getting "stoked"... We leave that to the Yanks.

Mr Editor, we Brits don't generally go around calling people dudes or doing "sick" things while getting "stoked"... We leave that to the Yanks.

I know - we just have hoodies who go around with their trousers half way down their backside hanging out in shopping centres with their skateboards smoking (who knows what?) after they have collected their dole!.......boils down to the same thing, just thought I would Americanise it :p.

Having said all of that.... I will probably buy one just for its portability and the fact you can literally throw it in a case with your clothes to go on holiday with. Although I have regularly travelled with an Inspire, they are a PITA to fly with.
The Hero 5 will double up as a swimming toy that won't cost much if you wreck it and spares for the Karma will snap into place should you need them.

The Mavic will (is) crippled by another DJI effort at a camera that doesn't work and will give results like it was shot on a potato....... oh and the batteries will not be as cheap as the Karma!

I agree. The camera is going to be the (potentially) big let down with the Mavic. Looking at the new Hero 5, there doesn't seem to be much that the Black has over the new Session for general use. Picture quality should be the same for video (unless you want the raw stills capability of the Black). So a Karma/Session bundle would appear to represent really good value, not least because it also comes with their version of the Osmo. It will be interesting to see how much the Mavic will be.

Note that although the Karma is pretty slow (35mph) it is rated as having a wind resistance of 10m/s, which puts it on par with the Inspire.

Incidentally, for those who talk about the GoPro fisheye effect, for years now their cameras have had selectable FOV by cropping the sensor (which often doesn't reduce quality due to the high resolution of the sensor itself being much higher than the video resolutions).

Something else that will appeal to some is the total lack of no-fly zones.

Last edited:
Incidentally, for those who talk about the GoPro fisheye effect, for years now their cameras have had selectable FOV by cropping the sensor (which often doesn't reduce quality due to the high resolution of the sensor itself being much higher than the video resolutions).

Distance software limited to 1000m from take off point though.
That will upset the 'I want to fly for miles and 10,000 feet high' brigade.

Who cares about them? ;-)

Me, I was in the middle of the mountains this year it was freezing and cold,and I wanted to get a photo of somewhere which was 1800 meters away, so I sat in the car, and took my x5 up there, I must admit an evil grin appeared on my face when I was nice and warm and getting all the shots I wanted while listening to the radi

Not really. Most people want to film in 4k, that has limited FOV options, all of which appear high compared to the sort of sub 30mm focal lengths you would want.
You can fix this in post, but its not great, and unlike the hero 4, it looks like changing the lens on this thing might be a pain, due to the way its designed for water.

I would not touch this due to the same old video I grew tired of seeing years ago anyway. It had the potential to be a real gem of a film tool for budget film makers, and they fked us all.

3 years ago I paid £379 for a 3+
Then a year later I paid£ £379 for an extra few frames to the make the 4k possible.
Now 2 years later, they want me to pay another £350+ for the same **** as I had two years ago (+a few options that I won't really benefit from) nearly a £1000 worth of investment for a camera which does video that looks like it came from a key chain camera and wide angle photos which by the time you crop them to a sensible FOV lose half of their already measly 12mp.

As I said, its a great product for joe average.

I have it on very good authority that thankfully the Karma will launch from day one with a comprehensive database of NFZ's built in.
I'm glad it will have otherwise we will get a new wave of skateboarders rolling down runways oblivious to airspace regulations whilst they get the obligatory 'dronie'

Reactions: SimonMW and SanCap
I have it on very good authority that thankfully the Karma will launch from day one with a comprehensive database of NFZ's built in.
I'm glad it will have otherwise we will get a new wave of skateboarders rolling down runways oblivious to airspace regulations whilst they get the obligatory 'dronie'

The skate boarder will be able to get permission from the tower to roll down the runway. Commercial guys can't :)

Me, I was in the middle of the mountains this year it was freezing and cold,and I wanted to get a photo of somewhere which was 1800 meters away, so I sat in the car, and took my x5 up there, I must admit an evil grin appeared on my face when I was nice and warm and getting all the shots I wanted while listening to the radi

Not really. Most people want to film in 4k, that has limited FOV options, all of which appear high compared to the sort of sub 30mm focal lengths you would want.

Now 2 years later, they want me to pay another £350+ for the same **** as I had two years ago (+a few options that I won't really benefit from) nearly a £1000 worth of investment for a camera which does video that looks

I don't necessarily want 4K, just like I don't shoot 4K on the Inspire. The 1080 modes cope much better with detail due to better use of the compression bandwidth. BTW, your Hero4 Black will work with the Karma, and nobody forced you to upgrade. I can very easily apply your criticism of video quality to the Inspire video (even on the X5). My old Hero 3 (not even the + version) gets better quality footage than my Inspire in Protune mode. This difference has nothing to do with the lenses or the sensor, but the compression system quality.

Going back to the Karma. There are a multitude of field changable spares available from the start. Now imagine a crash. Given its toughness it is likely that the GoPro will survive (and unlike an Inspire or Phantom, if it goes down on water your footage won't be lost). The replacement Gimbal for the Karma is much less than buying a new X3 or X5, and on the Phantom you would be totally stuffed.

Thanks for that, good to know!

I don't necessarily want 4K, just like I don't shoot 4K on the Inspire. The 1080 modes cope much better with detail due to better use of the compression bandwidth. BTW, your Hero4 Black will work with the Karma, and nobody forced you to upgrade. I can very easily apply your criticism of video quality to the Inspire video (even on the X5). My old Hero 3 (not even the + version) gets better quality footage than my Inspire in Protune mode. This difference has nothing to do with the lenses or the sensor, but the compression system quality.

Going back to the Karma. There are a multitude of field changable spares available from the start. Now imagine a crash. Given its toughness it is likely that the GoPro will survive (and unlike an Inspire or Phantom, if it goes down on water your footage won't be lost). The replacement Gimbal for the Karma is much less than buying a new X3 or X5, and on the Phantom you would be totally stuffed.

If they make the GoPro fly by mind control still doesn't worth my penny !!!!! I had every GoPro in the lineup so far and guess what the footage needs ??? An artist who can redraw the whole scene as a cartoon and re-shoot it with an inspire at least than recolor it in post. Shooting videos in the kitchen w/ perfect light i believe you. Other than that if you ever shoot anything in action. It's a piece of crap !!!!!!!!!!! And stays like that.

Last edited:

Going back to the Karma. There are a multitude of field changeable spares available from the start. Now imagine a crash. Given its toughness it is likely that the GoPro will survive (and unlike an Inspire or Phantom, if it goes down on water your footage won't be lost). The replacement Gimbal for the Karma is much less than buying a new X3 or X5, and on the Phantom you would be totally stuffed.

4k is more future proof, if you don't want to produce content which is going to stand the test of time, then you're not a very smart person.
Sorry, its a no brainer.

Secondly, the reason the other stuff works better on lower resolution IS because its running on old hardware which can't do 4k at the required bit rate, 2 years have passed since then and it STILl can't do this, which is why I am moaning and rightly so, just look at the specs between the hero 5 session and hero 5 be, its virtually identical when in the past the BE has been the special one, that shows they have nowhere else to go because they were at the limits with the hardware YEARS AGO, so they let two years passed, and just released it with a few tweaks when they must have had, or had the chance to get access to the new chipset by now.

I won't be 'upgrading', I'm way past a Karma drone, it might have been an option if they did native 10 bit, at at least 100 MBPS, there is always room in my arsenal for cheap good quality stuff, but I'm not capturing video in 2017, I was doing 3 years ago with a phantom 2, h33d and Go Pro 3/4.

Once 10 bit and raw filter down into more mainstream devices and the consumer gets an eye for it, it will show the weakness I am talking about in this hardware.

Reactions: Kilinahe Media
4k is more future proof, if you don't want to produce content which is going to stand the test of time, then you're not a very smart person.
Sorry, its a no brainer.

It depends on your content. Going from HD to 4K isn't like the leap from SD to HD. I've been a professional video producer for over 20 years, and I've been through these transitions before. Not everything you shoot has to be future proofed, and if you shot high quality HD now, it will stand the test of time far better than any SD stuff did in the mid-2000's. As I said, the Inspire produces a better picture at 1080, with better compression, and not so many issues. There is no point in shooting 4K if the resulting picture is full of issues that it doesn't have at 1080 just because of a 4K resolution banner. 4K of recorded pixel resolution doesn't always equal 4K worth of detail reproduction.

The trouble is that many people simply do not understand some of the issues, or how these things can be implemented into devices. How are consumers, some of who struggle with the most basic of video concepts when it comes to editing etc, be expected to cope with 10-bit footage and raw? The GoPro after all is a device designed to be used by everyone. Even professionals stay away from raw unless working on the most high end stuff because the workflow and time needed to data wrangle it are so much longer. And in the commercial world, time is money I am afraid. How is such a small device recording raw supposed to cope with the cooling requirements? Can you name me any microSD cards that are fast enough and cheap enough to record 4K raw footage? If you want raw, get an X5R. Because if you are shooting a project that demands raw, you aren't going to be wanting to film it on a tiny chipped camera like the X3 10-bit, raw or not!

Secondly, the reason the other stuff works better on lower resolution IS because its running on old hardware which can't do 4k at the required bit rate, 2 years have passed since then and it STILl can't do this,

Bitrate is only one small aspect of things. Not all compressors are the same. A higher bitrate is certainly welcome, but it isn't the whole story. While the 1080 mode on the Inspire is okay, it still isn't as good as the GoPro systems at the same bitrate and resolution in Protune. No matter what the reasons, you give, the hardware that is on the Inspire is what we have to work with, and so 1080 resolutions are often better to use on that equipment.

Other than that if you ever shoot anything in action. It's a piece of crap !!!!!!!!!!! And stays like that.

I've shot multiple things on them thanks, for commercial projects. Even feature films you see at the cinema have used them (one of the most recent being Ben Hur). If they are good enough for some of the top DP's in the world to be using them to get shots that are otherwise impossible to get, then they are good enough for me. I've used them extensively, and I have never had the sort of issues of compression and mush while using ProTune modes that I get with the Inspire. Each to their own...

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool