Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Going down fast

...and definitely don't throttle down and right, and fly backwards and left (CSC)
Whirlybird is going back to the docs to get fixed up because of that little faux pas... :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmont250
thanks all for the tips, there was some hidden skill to learn about going down and i appreciate very much your info

Let's say we're hoping you're not flying at 500m. That scenario is fraught with major issues. Please, don't give your local authorities reason to ban quads.

Fly save; flying smart, so we all can!

m8, i didnt buy a $4k machine to fly inside my house or in my backyard, in fact i would love to remove the alttitude limit if it would be possible couse in my last flight i could not reach the top of the waterfall i was shoting

dont be afraid about my local authorities couse i was flying for saying something, in the middle of the rainforest, so my closer no-fly zone was around 200kms away, i would be more afraid of noobs flying phantoms over masive croud of people to take pictures for the newspaper than with my flight in the middle of the nature

fly save, always

thanks all for the tips, there was some hidden skill to learn about going down and i appreciate very much your info

m8, i didnt buy a $4k machine to fly inside my house or in my backyard, in fact i would love to remove the alttitude limit if it would be possible couse in my last flight i could not reach the top of the waterfall i was shoting

dont be afraid about my local authorities couse i was flying for saying something, in the middle of the rainforest, so my closer no-fly zone was around 200kms away, i would be more afraid of noobs flying phantoms over masive croud of people to take pictures for the newspaper than with my flight in the middle of the nature

fly save, always

It's not about no-fly zones, or flying over people, it's also about other aircraft--the bigger ones that carry people! You can't assume that just because you're away from airports that you're the only aircraft in the sky.

Chances are you'll blow this off and keep doing exactly what you've been doing. Wish I could join that elite group to whom rules and common sense doesn't apply.

That's the kind of arrogant attitude that can ruin it for everyone. I hope you're knowledgeable of your local laws/regulations and abide by them.
i dont get it, arrogant?
so i have to "understand" that most of you did buy an inspire1 as a "toy" to flight on weekends in the park?
or even worst, why did DJI set a max alttitude of 500mts if it isnt safe, please enlighten me, whats its is for?

i sincerely dont want to go in debate, but you dont even know where i am, therefore, know nothing about my local laws/regulations
here, sadly or luckly, is the "third world" like maybe someone may say, there isnt any kind of regulation for UAV (yet), and with that i dont mean, me personally, will be doing all the worst things me or you may imagine, not at all, im rejecting shoting over people or even inside the city, sport events, partys, etc, im not looking to have a huge demand or get in prision for hurting someone, believe me, im the first one thinking in safety

so if im in the middle of the rainforest or a mountain and i want to flight at max altittude or at max distance where the only thing below me is nature, i think im not doing anything wrong or anything that can harm anyone

so, anycase, sorry if i sound "arrogant", english is not my native language and im just trying to say that if i wanted a "toy" I had bought a toy, im not rich to buy an inspire1 as one

peace

Thats tru where i live there's always the little planes that fly pretty low with huge banners attach to the back advertising some bar or happy hour or bikini contest for that day.

It's not about no-fly zones, or flying over people, it's also about other aircraft--the bigger ones that carry people! You can't assume that just because you're away from airports that you're the only aircraft in the sky.

Chances are you'll blow this off and keep doing exactly what you've been doing. Wish I could join that elite group to whom rules and common sense doesn't apply.
ok i get it, first of all, not even 1 commercial airplane would flight at 500mts above the land in the middle of rainforest or close to a mountain, even thinking in smaller planes, like cessnas, etc, i just said i coulnd even reach the top of the waterfall i was shooting, i dont think there would be any light aircraft flying close to the mountain at that altittude, and even if it may happens, i would see it and do everything to avoid any risk

seriusly, i understand that you dont know me and there is many crazy guys doing many crazy things with UAVs, but believe in me, im the first one thinking in safety when i fly

Thats tru where i live there's always the little planes that fly pretty low with huge banners attach to the back advertising some bar or happy hour or bikini contest for that day.
im not saying anyone is a lier, im just saying that doesnt happens here, i understand the concern of everyone here and im sorry if i sounds arrogant, but you have to open your mind also that not everyone lives/flight in USA in the downtown

ok i get it, first of all, not even 1 commercial airplane would flight at 500mts above the land in the middle of rainforest or close to a mountain, even thinking in smaller planes, like cessnas, etc, i just said i coulnd even reach the top of the waterfall i was shooting, i dont think there would be any light aircraft flying close to the mountain at that altittude, and even if it may happens, i would see it and do everything to avoid any risk

seriusly, i understand that you dont know me and there is many crazy guys doing many crazy things with UAVs, but believe in me, im the first one thinking in safety when i fly

Famous last words...

Reactions: Joola and tuxevil
im not saying anyone is a lier, im just saying that doesnt happens here, i understand the concern of everyone here and im sorry if i sounds arrogant, but you have to open your mind also that not everyone lives/flight in USA in the downtown

You have a point, its just most uav operators are concerned about irresponsible flyers making hard on the ones that do follow the rules, considering how quick drone operators are growing, anyone with a job can afford some level of uav these days

Reactions: Ferdi and tuxevil
Where I live I don't go any higher then 120 mtr.But when I was in Italy and flying on the slopes on a mountain I started at 300 mtr and went up to 625 mtr to reach the top of it.All the time I was probably 50 mtr above ground,but altitude was at 325 mtr.Nothing wrong with this I believe.500 mtr is more then enough,but I don't want restricted to it.I can drive a Ferrari(wish),but I want to be in control.(I know that some cars have speed limiters).I think it's a matter of responsibilty

Last edited:
Reactions: tuxevil
Where I live I don't go any higher then 120 mtr,but when I was in Italy and flying on the slopes on a mountain.Started at 300 mtr and went up to 625 mtr to reach the top of it.All the time I was probably 50 mtr above ground,but altitude was at 325 mtr.Nothing wrong with this I believe.500 mtr is more then enough,but I don't want restricted to it.I can drive a Ferrari(wish),but I want to be in control.(I know that some cars have speed limiters).I think it's a matter of responsibilty
exactly, you can be 500mts above your take off spot, but still flying a few meters above the ground, perfect example, thanks

I go down with the left stick to the bottom all the time. It'll safely (albeit noisily) go down.

I am really grateful for this thread as I had been concerned about vortex ring state so it is good to know that DJI have limited the descent speed with full control deflection down. I never went to the bottom and would always keep the craft moving with the right hand stick. It took me a long time to come down.

Reactions: tuxevil
I looked through my flight logs where I descended using 100% throttle down (left stick full down). The speeds at which it has descended always falls between this rate:

-8.5 mph to -9.2 mph (-3.8 m/s to -4.1 m/s)

I've done this many times and have never come across any issues. It is slightly wobbly, but I've descended down well over 1000 ft on many occasions using the left stick down all the way (I live next to the Sandia mountains). This would sometimes be as long as 2-3 minutes of straight descending. Just thought I'd share.

I was just going to mention this. I always try to spiral down even with left stick full down to avoid Vortex Ring State. It's not hard with a little practice. Start by zig-zagging left to right or forward and back.
totally the best way, i can haul arse down corkscrewing. its way faster, and no vrs....
i fly forward facing cirles and pull down at the same time. the smaller the circles, the faster you will go down. like 10ft circles are pretty fast, and the inspire can go tighter...

hovering down is sooo boring...

Reactions: mdomeny
totally the best way, i can haul arse down corkscrewing. its way faster, and no vrs....
i fly forward facing cirles and pull down at the same time. the smaller the circles, the faster you will go down. like 10ft circles are pretty fast, and the inspire can go tighter...

hovering down is sooo boring...
Yup - And coming down in corkscrew/helix is a crowd pleaser if you have an audience :cool:

Not meaning to take the thread off topic, but where does one go to learn how to do these various maneuvers--the stick positions? o_O
Ummmm... A field.... and a lot of batteries ;). I'm afraid it's a case of practice, practice and then ...... some more practice.
Unfortunately whether its a simulator or real there is no substitute for stick time.

Ummmm... A field.... and a lot of batteries ;). I'm afraid it's a case of practice, practice and then ...... some more practice.
Unfortunately whether its a simulator or real there is no substitute for stick time.

Sorry. I didn't ask the question correctly. :(

Is there a place (online, in a book, in a magazine) where one can go to find out the proper positions in which the sticks must be placed to enable the copter to do corkscrew, for example. How do I move the sticks to make the quad do a corkscrew?

Hope that helps.

Sorry. I didn't ask the question correctly. :(

Is there a place (online, in a book, in a magazine) where one can go to find out the proper positions in which the sticks must be placed to enable the copter to do corkscrew, for example. How do I move the sticks to make the quad do a corkscrew?

Hope that helps.
Ahhh... I see. Really it's the same answer (sort of). It's a case of practice to descend with the trajectory you are after. Even if you looked at heli tutorial stick position videos they would not really translate to a fixed pitch multirotor.

Personally, I would get comfortable flying circles of differing size and tightness - in both directions but at a fixed altitude. Then, when you feel comfortable that you can throw a circe from any orientation just add down left stick into the mix which will then add a third dimension into the movement and you will have a corkscrew descent !:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool