Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GOING FOR 333

Reaction score
So I did a freebie video for a friends property and they loved it . So to get paid I have to have a pilots license which would be impossible because I am scared to fly... Duh that's why I have a Drone . So its time to copy paste and add.....

Dont bother...They ALL expire in a year anyway...By the time you have it ready and they approve it the part 107 will come out that will not require a PPL but only a test on aeronautical knowledge and operation of a quad copter.
Just do this..
Fly safe.
Fly under 400 feet
Dont fly over crowds and groups of people
notify every airport w/In 5 mile radius of your flight
and get insurance for your UAV
Become an AMA member.
Im sure I missed a few, but others will chime in..

Dont bother...They ALL expire in a year anyway...By the time you have it ready and they approve it the part 107 will come out that will not require a PPL but only a test on aeronautical knowledge and operation of a quad copter.
Just do this..
Fly safe.
Fly under 400 feet
Become an AMA member.

Almost the best advice I've heard so far.

You forgot to fly, at best, Line Of Sight.

Reactions: jon b
So get paid...Just don't do anything that would attract attention to yourself...ie - end up on the news

I'm starting to like you more and more.
We both believe respect and common sense rules.

"Just don't do anything that would attract attention to yourself...ie - end up on the news"

Funny you should mention that, I'm getting ready to post a thread on my first run-in with the law, happened tonight, (but of course i'm busy editing, just here for a quick break :)

Reactions: Dr_Dooms
Agreed... I had been debating the 333 but the truth is it just makes no sense. I am not afraid of flying but see no real connection to RC flight ability. Coming from an RC back round I feel it's ridiculous to think because you fly a full sized aircraft that you would know how to fly and use a UAV, especially when it comes to replacing actual knowledge of the machine to be used.
Anyone can buy one we need a test to make sure you will fly one with respect and good judgment. The future seems brighter so I for now will fly safe, low key and take whatever precautions to not endanger anyone or anyones property while I fly.

Aloha
Alex

I don't believe in this way of thinking. If you live in my area you will be flying in your own yard if that. The 333 is a way in to getting further support in a path to AP for commercial use. Skirting the system will only hurt you in the long run. Why? because I know if I invest $5000 in my equipment, $1500 in attorney fees, $1200 for liability insurance and have to get permissions, permits, and more to do a free job now, when my commercial ability kicks in I am not going to stand around while someone skirts the system. Like I did hear and was sold on by people in the know. There will be a those that turn in people who fly the commercial system illegally and also risk what the future holds for people who want to do it right, or as close to right as you can get it.. :)

Legitimate professional clients will not hire "fly by nighters". You may be willing to incur the potential consequences and liability of breaking the law, but no respectable company will share that view.

Reactions: kcobello
Seems like the person with no 333 has about the same amount invested (actually I am in at about 10 worth of equipment). Except I have not had to pay for a Lawyer (what's up with that?). I have liability insurance (funny the insurance company's do not require a 333). Its a done deal that soon the FAA will eliminate the pilots license as they should and require you know how to fly and understand small drone airspace and safety. Since I have no intention to violate the law (due to my clearance level and being a law abiding citizen) I will wait, hone my skills, develop my portfolio, have all my gear in place, have my required documents ready and build my clients on a "coming soon" basis. I show then clips and photos and they are all in. I am just hoping the FAA is set buy next spring/summer when I will be fully setup.
Costello Insurance does not require a 333 and are very reasonable!

Just do this..
Fly safe.
Fly under 400 feet
Become an AMA member.

Why do you say they all expire in a year? All of the 333 aproved exemptions that I have read clearly say 2 years from date of approval. Is there something new that I have missed? Regulations.gov

Who said the 333 was going away?? In fact the 333 will still be a part of the process, just revised rules regarding the type certification of aircraft and the amended rules regarding certification of pilots via the new UAS license.

Reactions: kcobello and Eric
Have a look at this white paper written by our insurance provider. We give this to all of our prospective clients as further reason they should only employ licensed and insured providers. Its a good read.

Attachments

• Global_Dombroff-Whitepaper_GA.522.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: Eric
Hello,

I am an aviation specific insurance broker. I insure everything that flies or is related to aviation. I am appointed with all of the major aviation insurance companies (there are 12 of them). Currently, three of them are offering commercial UAV insurance (AIG Aerospace, Global Aerospace, and United States Specialty Insurance Company). AIG and Global Aerospace generally require the 333 exemption and prefer a valid pilot certificate (Light Sport, Private, Commercial, or ATP). However, USSIC does not require a pilot certificate or an exemption. AIG and Global can provide "hull" and liability coverage. USSIC currently offers liability only up to $5,000,000. If you have any questions, or would like a quote, please contact me.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Joe Ernster

Hello,

I am an aviation specific insurance broker. I insure everything that flies or is related to aviation. I am appointed with all of the major aviation insurance companies (there are 12 of them). Currently, three of them are offering commercial UAV insurance (AIG Aerospace, Global Aerospace, and United States Specialty Insurance Company). AIG and Global Aerospace generally require the 333 exemption and prefer a valid pilot certificate (Light Sport, Private, Commercial, or ATP). However, USSIC does not require a pilot certificate or an exemption. AIG and Global can provide "hull" and liability coverage. USSIC currently offers liability only up to $5,000,000. If you have any questions, or would like a quote, please contact me.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Joe Ernster

Interesting. I would think the liability from an insurers standpoint would be huge. Where were you when I was trying to get insured in a heavy turbine with no time lol.

CaptainBadge,

The underwriters are still trying to figure out the actual risk involved in insuring commercial UAV operations. Since this is so new, the data just is not there. I anticipate rates increasing in the near future due to claims. However, the increase in the number of UAS operations may counteract that increase.

I could have helped you out with that! I do it all the time. We are always fighting to get our customers what they want. I cannot count how many times I have pressured an underwriter to approve a pilot who they viewed as "unqualified." Some of them probably dread my calls.

Joe

Captain Badge and Aviation Broker.
Thanks, some of the best posts I have seen regarding this industry. I also have heard from our attorney that applying for the 333 is the best way to follow a path to getting to commercial work.
Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg