Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GoPro reportedly planning to launch consumer drones next year

Only because DJI chose not to. It's easy enough to implement. Your video out (composite) feed is pin 2 but in order to get composite out of the GoPro there must also be a signal via ID3 and ID4 which are pins 21 and 22 respectively.
HD video out is via pins 1 through 3. It is able to supply composite video by pulling pins 20 and 21 low or Component (HD) video by just pulling pin 20 low. Also pins 5 and 6 double up the +5 volt USB bus to provide extra current capability while charging and in use at the same time
With regards to remote start/stop, this can easily be achieved through pin 17 which is the remote trigger pin.
DJI made a conscious decision not to exploit these capabilities via the GoPro interface!

As for Colin (Reality TV Show Contestant and Mobile/Cell phone salesman - No, neither of those are a joke....look it up !!!! ) Guinn. I think the UAV world is better off without him! (That's my own personal opinion but I pride myself on being a very good judge of character)
Gawd I love it when you talk Chinglish Lectikal Inganeeer to me. I am just a poor lowly Chemical Engineer who does not speak Pin Outs :p

Well, you are wrong. Had dinner with someone very, very close inside at GP and they said they are definitely going after the higher end...(e.g. Inspire) market with their new drone. At risk of telling me any more because of confidential NDA issues. I believe him.

"We will see hundreds of drones at CES," says Richard Doherty, an analyst with Envisioneering Group.

The same technology that's advanced smartphones — small chips and sensors — has come to drones, making them smaller, cheaper and easier to make.

Getting a birds-eye view of the world isn't simple. Drones have to be flown, and there's a learning curve there. But this new crop of drones will be way easier to use, say manufacturers.

Derick Xiong launched his Ghost Drone on crowdfunding site IndieGogo last year, offering a unit that could be operated by a smartphone app. He hoped to bring in $100,000 but ended up getting nearly $700,000 for the unit he advertises as "the most affordable, user-friendly drone." He plans to start shipping the $400 unit this month.

"We are making them more automatic," says Xiong. He sees skaters, surfers and even skiers taking their drones with them when enjoying their sports.

Most drones work by connecting to the small GoPro action cam, the wildly popular tiny camera favored by action sports enthusiasts.

Doherty expects GoPro to join the party at CES with an introduction of its own drone, with a built-in GoPro camera. "Within three months, GoPro could become the No. 1 manufacturer of drones," Doherty says.

Well, you are wrong. Had dinner with someone very, very close inside at GP and they said they are definitely going after the higher end...(e.g. Inspire) market with their new drone. At risk of telling me any more because of confidential NDA issues. I believe him.

I have gut feeling that the gopro drone might not be a quad but a hex....oops [insert ND doc here], then again none of this can be confirmed other than the fact that its all he said, they said, i said, we said. One thing that is 100%, is the fact that they are gearing up for some seroius drone specs. :)

Either way looking forward to seeing GP drone and comparing to inspire. I've used GP extensively and wait patiently for my inspire to arrive.

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
GoPro knows camera but they are starting from zero for drones. They have to work on the flight control, tablet apps, telemetry, wifi signaling stuff, gimbals, reliable GPS, waypoints control. On top of that they have to go over the same thing many times to make sure they are reliable. It took DJI a few years to start getting good at it. GoPro will have to climb the rope from the bottom.

GoPro knows camera but they are starting from zero for drones. They have to work on the flight control, tablet apps, telemetry, wifi signaling stuff, gimbals, reliable GPS, waypoints control. On top of that they have to go over the same thing many times to make sure they are reliable. It took DJI a few years to start getting good at it. GoPro will have to climb the rope from the bottom.
Reverse engineering? Don't bet against them. Especially, after yesterday with the news that Apple may be breathing down their necks with the possibility of a competing camera. There are many, many drones that they can 'copy' and 'reverse engineer' They got LONNNGGGGGG $$

If it is that easy. Parrot and DJI would have fixed their fly away in a week with their stash of money.

The experience and patches that DJI had learnt through hard lessons are in their codes which would be encrypted and not easily reversed engineered.

If it is that easy. Parrot and DJI would have fixed their fly away in a week with their stash of money.

The experience and patches that DJI had learnt through hard lessons are in their codes which would be encrypted and not easily reversed engineered.
Parrot and DJI aren't $4B companies. Well we will seen in a few months won't we?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan