Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GPS Drop off every flight

Reaction score
Website
www.tim.co.nz
Probably been posted before but does anyone have this issue?. I take off and hover low level - 5'agl - green GPS slow blink
--then if I rise to 20-30'agl the Slow Green GPS light changes to a slow yellow and the Inspire no longer holds position.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim

Probably been posted before but does anyone have this issue?. I take off and hover low level - 5'agl - green GPS slow blink
--then if I rise to 20-30'agl the Slow Green GPS light changes to a slow yellow and the Inspire no longer holds position.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim

Known issue. Will be improved in the next firmware.

Thanks, but improvement isnt what I want.. I need this fixed!! I get better GPS fix/lock from my cheap naza-m

Did you not understand what ' known issue, will be improved in next firmware' means? That means it WILL be FIXED in the next FIRMWARE. If you **** your pants with fear every time you fly under current conditions then DONT fly until next firmware update. These things take time, you're not as special as your mother said you were and we are all in the same boat.

Did you not understand what ' known issue, will be improved in next firmware' means? That means it WILL be FIXED in the next FIRMWARE. If you **** your pants with fear every time you fly under current conditions then DONT fly until next firmware update. These things take time, you're not as special as your mother said you were and we are all in the same boat.
No PETE, Improved DOESNT mean FIXED!!! . I said nothing about being Uncomfortable about flying under these conditions. I just expected it to do what it said on the box! . I built my first multirotor around 4 years ago before GPS's were standard accessories and Ive flown gear 3x this ones value.

And theres NO need to get personal and insulting!!

No PETE, Improved DOESNT mean FIXED!!! . I said nothing about being Uncomfortable about flying under these conditions. I just expected it to do what it said on the box! . I built my first multirotor around 4 years ago before GPS's were standard accessories and Ive flown gear 3x this ones value.

And theres NO need to get personal and insulting!!

Lighten up, Tim. We're all in the same boat, as @PetePerrim said. Blade used the word improved, but that probably meant that the issue will be resolved with the new firmware. He's testing a new version of the firmware that should be out shortly to "fix" the problem. Ver .16 created the issue in order to solve another problem. So now DJI is being doubly careful to not create another problem by solving this one. This is the nature of being an early adopter. S&!t happens. ;) So fly carefully. Or wait for the new firmware. Your choice.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Lighten up, Tim. We're all in the same boat, as @PetePerrim said. Blade used the word improved, but that probably meant that the issue will be resolved with the new firmware. He's testing a new version of the firmware that should be out shortly to "fix" the problem. Ver .16 created the issue in order to solve another problem. So now DJI is being doubly careful to not create another problem by solving this one. This is the nature of being an early adopter. S&!t happens. ;) So fly carefully. Or wait for the new firmware. Your choice.
Thanks Quadpilot - very helpful info :), any word on an expected release of FW?

Thanks Quadpilot - very helpful info :), any word on an expected release of FW?

Tim, that the $64,000 question. With Chinese New Year coming up in a few days, it'll either get released before Feb 19, or a few weeks thereafter, I suspect. One note on the GPS dropouts: I've noticed that after repeated flights in the same area that they happen less and less frequently. Could be something to do with the FC, compass and GPS modules getting more data to resolve the GPS dropouts.

I lost GPS twice during a flight today even though I had full GPS signal. It went into attitude and said there was a compass error. I tried to hit RTH but it failed since there was no GPS. Good thing though. When I played it back I could see that it didn't set the home point until it was 120ft from where I took off and that was over the water. How do you know when the home point has been set when you start your flight? Is it just a green H on the map display?

I lost GPS twice during a flight today even though I had full GPS signal. It went into attitude and said there was a compass error. I tried to hit RTH but it failed since there was no GPS. Good thing though. When I played it back I could see that it didn't set the home point until it was 120ft from where I took off and that was over the water. How do you know when the home point has been set when you start your flight? Is it just a green H on the map display?

When you do CSC to start the motors, it's supposed to update HP, provided you have GPS lock. Yes, the H designates the new HP.

Just so everyone understands this is not a GPS issue. When the FC detects what it determines is abnormal data coming from the Compass it places the controller in ATTI mode. Once the compass data is correct then it reverts to GPS. The problem was that the FC was too sensitive to to the compass data and caused the craft to drop out of GPS needlessly. I only had that happen to me once. Blade had it happen to him multiple times. The new firmware is addressing this and other issues as you would expect DJI to do. When the firmware is ready to release it will be released and not before. I personally would rather they test it more and not release until it is right. That is what we are doing now.

I only fly in ATTI mode. Most experienced pilots I know prefer ATTI mode over GPS mode as well. I actually wish it would drift more. I hate the locked in feel in GPS mode. And it's boring to fly as well...haha. I guess I'm used to flying 3D in the old days. It would be cool to be able to fly in manual mode. People who only know how to fly in GPS mode get into trouble real quick when GPS mode gets switched automatically. They'd think the bird is flying away so they'd make harsh stick movements. And when the bird is nose in, and orientation is confused, watch out!!!!

Since is not a GPS issue, if it revert to ATTI due to the compass error, what would be the best way to navigate it back at that point in time if we do not have visual contact? I suppose I can't even see its location on the map.

Thanks, but improvement isnt what I want.. I need this fixed!! I get better GPS fix/lock from my cheap naza-m

Wow, easy turbo..

This function needs improvement, not to be fixed. We don't want the fc to listen to bad compass data, do we?

What we do want is the fc to not be so sensitive to this bad data.

I can say since I have updated to this beta fw, I have not seen one degradation of gps on two different craft.

Reactions: RolandRSA
I only fly in ATTI mode. Most experienced pilots I know prefer ATTI mode over GPS mode as well. I actually wish it would drift more. I hate the locked in feel in GPS mode. And it's boring to fly as well...haha. I guess I'm used to flying 3D in the old days. It would be cool to be able to fly in manual mode. People who only know how to fly in GPS mode get into trouble real quick when GPS mode gets switched automatically. They'd think the bird is flying away so they'd make harsh stick movements. And when the bird is nose in, and orientation is confused, watch out!!!!
So you are saying you can watch your OSD and camera etc AND control your Inspire in ATTI mode? Why would you? GPS is a great aid especially in confined and windy areas (and when flying solo)

Wow, easy turbo..

This function needs improvement, not to be fixed. We don't want the fc to listen to bad compass data, do we?

What we do want is the fc to not be so sensitive to this bad data.

I can say since I have updated to this beta fw, I have not seen one degradation of gps on two different craft.
That sounds promising :)

Since is not a GPS issue, if it revert to ATTI due to the compass error, what would be the best way to navigate it back at that point in time if we do not have visual contact? I suppose I can't even see its location on the map.
Well that should not be a problem since you're supposed to always have visual contact ;)

Are those craft that did exhibit the problem before, and in the same locations?

Just asking as mine never once dropped out of GPS mode in 3 hours+ of flight in various different places with the current FW... so I wouldn't be able to detect any improvement with it.

The op is just stating he is concerned. I feel you. Before iOS released I was getting constant drop outs. In fear of other people's well being I backed off flying anywhere close to a populated area. I don't know what the fc is detecting as bad data but out in the sticks it happens far less. I have also seen an improvement in the stability of holding lock since the iOS officially launched but that could just be a placebo of feeling more confident flying on the iPad air 2. Blade and I have had our issues in the past, I still believe he can be slightly too aggressive to any negative dji speak, but as long as he's having positive results with the beta and he feels like it's an improvement I'll hopefully wait patiently and cross my fingers that this platform might be stable enough for serious work shortly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop