Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GPS module for Inspire 2

fee571818be5551d5a8ef3cad75bbe9f.jpg

There ya go
What antenna system you go with an how much fun was it trying to get the board back down onto the pegs with thicker wires. It took me awhile but got it situated . First time it was up against the rth button

The I2 remote does have built-in GPS but simply is not 100% reliable due to interference. This interference mainly comes from the GPS being built into the RC and then you've got the RC controls along with your viewing device mounted which can cause further interference. The goal of the Inspire 2 GPS Module is to have an external GPS that you can mount in clear view to the sky for the most accurate positioning possible.

You are correct that using the GPS built into your iPad or iPhone provides GPS positioning but from what we understand the Module will provide greater accuracy. Unfortunately we won't know for sure how well these modules perform until they begin shipping.

So to follow up a bit on this, I have an external GPS device that can talk via Bluetooth to the iPad. It is pretty accurate and also allows usin RTK. (Bad Elf Surveyor).

So my question is if I pump this to my iPad will that be what the I2 uses for home in RTH? It's right on the takeoff/landing zone or moving with me if I move.

Any update if the GPS module works? I can't find any information on what I need to do in the DJI Go App. When the GPS is installed will the home point automatically be updated. I have a simple shoot where my command station will be in the back of a slow moving truck. I wonder if the RTH is activated with it try to land directly on the Controller or is there an off set value. I don't want a drone trying to land on my head.

Any update if the GPS module works? I can't find any information on what I need to do in the DJI Go App. When the GPS is installed will the home point automatically be updated. I have a simple shoot where my command station will be in the back of a slow moving truck. I wonder if the RTH is activated with it try to land directly on the Controller or is there an off set value. I don't want a drone trying to land on my head.

Once you have the GPS module installed, swipe Right to LEFT just above the photo/video icon selector towards the top right of the Go 4 App screen. You will then see your choices, here is a screen shot.

EDIT: Correction swipe Right to Left.

IMG_0001.PNG

Last edited:
fee571818be5551d5a8ef3cad75bbe9f.jpg

There ya go

Is this rc modified? I had modified my i1 rc for the fpvlr antenna booster but I don't want to crack open my i2 rc. Cracking the plastic housing on the i1 rc was a bit of a painful process. The reason I ask is that it appears as if you have sma connectors on the outside of your rc!

Once you have the GPS module installed, swipe Right to LEFT just above the photo/video icon selector towards the top right of the Go 4 App screen. You will then see your choices, here is a screen shot.

View attachment 15030
Thanks for the info FDS! The screen shoot is a really nice touch. Do you by chance have any info on a what the different modes do. I guess Dynamic is what I'm after but I looked through the most recent Inspire 2 manual and the GPS module manual and I can't find official description of each mode

I have test mine today and nothing comes up on the screen..... my Go4 App is 4.1.3, nvidia Shield K1 with android 6.0 OS

Not sure about Android, but on the iOS version of DJI Go you need to swipe right-left from the edge of the screen between the AF/MF and AE icons and the button that toggles between photo/video mode on the right of the DJI Go flight screen. The toggle button is the smaller one above the big one you use to start/stop recording video or take a photo. It's quite a narrow area - swiping on any other part of the Rh edge won't pull the menu out.

If you have the gps antenna connected and it's working, then you should see the rightmost option on that screen enabled. If it's not working, then it'll say 'gps module is disconnected' and be greyed out.

The bizarre thing is, this works for me only when the aircraft is powered off. With the RC and tablet coupled up, but the AC off, I can swipe right-left and get the options for setting home point and changing the screen brightness. Once the AC is powered up, the r-l swipe doesn't work any longer - which explains why I thought the option was an Android only one! :confused: This is the case irrespective of if I have the GPS module connected (I only picked one up a couple of days ago and have just tried it this afternoon!).

Having said all that, because I've had some shooting opportunities that I won't be able to repeat for 12 months, I haven't updated to the latest firmware and I am still running the older .0330 firmware, DJI Go 4.1.2 and whatever the corresponding RC firmware for .0330 is, so it may be something to do with that.... what's your firmware level at Joe?

Last edited:
Reactions: JoePGM
hi Florida Drone Supply, could you provide more information how to startup that dynamic home point screen? I can't launch mine here .....

This is how it works on my iPad mini 4 after connecting the GPS module to the Can Bus port on the back of the Inspire 2 remote. I have not tested it with an Android tablet yet. Here is the video.

Reactions: DamesNY and JoePGM
Hi Joe,

Just updated to the latest I2 firmware (01.01.0010), RC firmware and DJI Go4 (4.1.5) this afternoon and the Dynamic Home Point option is working for me now. So if it won't work for you, then I guess it's a mix of software/firmware versions that you're using.

once it works, It updates it's position every few seconds and if you've moved, you get a that lovely little DJI Dalek voice telling you that 'The Home point has been updated, please check it on the map"... if you're walking, or being driven, that means it tells you the same message (and a message on the flight screen) every few seconds..... aaaaaargghhhh - why didn't they just make the little icon go green when it's updated, and red when you've moved and it's not updated!!!! DJI really seems to be going overboard with all these warning messages at the moment... they need a setting to let us adjust the frequency of the warnings, or to lower the update rate if nowt else!

Reactions: DamesNY and JoePGM
I still can't call out eh dynamic homepoint page as what Florida Drone Supply demostrate.

I have been updated to Go4 4.1.5, running with all latest firmware and Nividia Shield K1 at Android6.0

:(:(:(

Reactions: imaspireFR
I still can't call out eh dynamic homepoint page as what Florida Drone Supply demostrate.

I have been updated to Go4 4.1.5, running with all latest firmware and Nividia Shield K1 at Android6.0

:(:(:(

I am trying to get an older Nividia Shield up and running and am not quite there yet. I wonder if your Abnormal FW warning and lack of a GPS signal has something to do with the issues you are having? Have you tried to do it outside? I am not saying you have done this but it is possible to get the GPS module can bus connector inserted upside down, the plastic is not very strong.

Hi Joe,

Just updated to the latest I2 firmware (01.01.0010), RC firmware and DJI Go4 (4.1.5) this afternoon and the Dynamic Home Point option is working for me now. So if it won't work for you, then I guess it's a mix of software/firmware versions that you're using.

once it works, It updates it's position every few seconds and if you've moved, you get a that lovely little DJI Dalek voice telling you that 'The Home point has been updated, please check it on the map"... if you're walking, or being driven, that means it tells you the same message (and a message on the flight screen) every few seconds..... aaaaaargghhhh - why didn't they just make the little icon go green when it's updated, and red when you've moved and it's not updated!!!! DJI really seems to be going overboard with all these warning messages at the moment... they need a setting to let us adjust the frequency of the warnings, or to lower the update rate if nowt else!

Agreed. It's warning overload.

the abnormal is due to I didn't install the X5 cam and the whole system stay in-door

Yesterday I take my I2 outdoor for test fly (with new cam replacement from DJI), I also can't launch that dynamic homepoint page

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool