Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GPS Module for RC

Reaction score
Website
www.oyibo-vfx.com
I want to use my IPhone 6S Plus for my Mavic Pro and my iPad 3 mini for the Inspire 2, and use Autoflight Airspace to control them both. However, the iPad doesn't have a barometer.
Just curious if this GPS module is solving that issue. It's less then $30 so cheaper then a new iPad

Last edited:
No. As far as I know, it's just a GPS module. You would need a newer phone/iPad to have the barometer functionality.

I think you're missing the point. The iPad knows where you are but not accurately. There the barometer comes in.
But if the GPS modules knows where the remore controller is, it does basically the same thing

Not quite. The barometer is for measuring altitude. In autopilot it is recommended if you are going to move with your controller up an incline, and you have the drone in follow mode. This allows the drone that is following you to know that it also needs to increase altitude. GPS is not as accurate for altitude except if it is WAAS enabled. Although you can still use GPS in autopilot instead of the barometer.

Last edited:
I have used the GPS module lots recently. It provides an accurate location of your R/C and you can use that as the 'home' location if you want to land the I2 at a different location than where you took off from.

Reactions: JoePGM
Thanks ViperPilot. In estimation, how's the percentage of improvement with this GPS module perform on RTH when comparing with general internal GPS module from ipad/android tablet?

A standalone gps module should be more accurate than a ipad or iphone. If you are operating just on a wifi tablet and no cellular this will help a lot, since you don't have any gps/ cellular signal. If you have cellular service, it may not be worth it.

I have a cellular ipad and pop the sim from my phone in it when I fly.

When using this module and phone/tablet with internal gps, does the RC use both, or just the module? Or just device GPS, until you disable it?

I have the module, DJI stated that it will feature dynamic homepoint, my understanding was it keeps updating the homepoint automatically based on the RC location, but i still need to go to settings and update it manually if i move during flight.

I have the module, DJI stated that it will feature dynamic homepoint, my understanding was it keeps updating the homepoint automatically based on the RC location, but i still need to go to settings and update it manually if i move during flight.

The automatic feature hasn't been around for some time now, the risk of a bad GPS update not being noticed by the pilot outweighed the benefit of the frequent auto-updates.

It is dynamic, just not automatic.

Reactions: rulppa
Since I will be an owner few weeks later, did the I2 capable to perform "follow me" if I hold my controller on hand with a GPS-powered tablet, without the DJI GPS module?

Does the "follow me" function separate from the "home point" update in this case?

"Follow me" and mobile 'home point' are two different things. As of now I don't believe 'follow me' has been inplimented for the I2. I think it's one of those 'coming soon' features.

Reactions: amorrison

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido