Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gradual ND filtering for Zenmuse X5 class camera

Reaction score
Neutral density filtering is a necessity for all of us involved in video making for reasons well known. However, it is also a very popular trick among landscape photographers, particularly when water of all kinds is in the frame. This is not our field anyway since they're using tripods and minutes long exposures. For aerial photography one of the most promising techniques employs so called grad filter, applying gradually weakening ND filtering from top of the frame where usually the light is the strongest. This will accentuate features of the sky without overexposing, leaving the landscape below properly exposed. Unfortunately all of the gazillions filter holding attachments on the market are designed for handheld DSLR cameras. Some manufacturers are offering circular grad filters, but the sizes available are well above our needs.

Here is my modification for Zenmuse X5 class camera, employing Olympus LH-48 lens hood and Hitech 67 resin grad filter. Naturally it can be used in conjunction with typical round ND or pola filter mounted behind. Custom balancing on the back of camera is required to avoid gimbal abuse, resulting in total 77 grams of extra payload.
IMG_0134.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    556.4 KB · Views: 33
Hi Dobmatt, how are you balancing the back of the camera?
IMG_0137.JPG
In this case the weight of balancing attachment is significant, approx. 30 grams depending on lens type and filters combination. It's made of 37 mm diameter steel plate 2.5 mm thick. The counterweight is simply adhered to the back with 3M or Gorilla double side tape, available at Home Depot. Machine screws are added or removed for fine tuning. The space behind camera is limited, counterweight is located off center because camera's gravity center is not on lens axis.
Naturally for common circular filters like B&W brand you don't need that much of counterweight. A quarter may be all you need to adhere. Find the right position using masking tape before finally applying 3M tape. This stuff is really strong ...

Last edited:
Why not just get a graduated no filter from polar pro?

When shooting in raw you almost don't need one of these filters because you can pull a lot of detail out of the shadows.

Why not just get a graduated no filter from polar pro?
When shooting in raw you almost don't need one of these filters because you can pull a lot of detail out of the shadows.
There's several good reasons NOT to go with Polar Pro brand and NOT to fix everything in post production, reasons well known to seasoned landscape photographers. First reason is the quality of filter itself, and the Polar Pro is not the Lamborgini in this category. Second reason is the purpose of rectangular grad filter with it's ability to adjust the position of filtering vertically. Third reason is the ability to use various types of gradual filters (hard edge, soft edge, blender) and of various density. There's more, but - finally - the main reason for building this mod is because I could :D ...

Said that, I'm sure that any decent photo editing software can do gradual filter trick with single RAW image. It's a matter of personal preferences, that's all.

i realize that it is always best to get it right before post processing, but so far i have been really impressed with the latitude you get with the raw files that i really haven't found the need quite yet to attach filters yet.

see quick link

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers