Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Grainy/noisy footage issue

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Help' started by syncorswim, Mar 18, 2015.

1. syncorswim

Hi guys. Is anyone else having issues with grainy footage when using the Inspire 1 camera? I've been filming in 4k, 25 fps and even with the lowest ISO setting and a shutter speed of 50 there still seems to be lots of grain/noise present in the footage. As far as I'm aware there should be pretty much no grain/noise especially when using a low ISO setting? Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Kilrah

Everybody. It's not a "problem", just a characteristic of the camera that it is quite noisy. You can try lowering the sharpness a little in the settings as it sharpens the footage a lot by default and makes noise more visible by doing so.

3. syncorswim

Yeah but it should't have that much noise as the footage is pretty much unusable. I've tried reducing the sharpness to -1 but this just makes the footage too soft. I'm going to try a few more experiments in both 4k and HD to see if this helps but I'm beginning to think there might be an issue with the camera.

4. Chuck Lawson

Tiny sensors are tiny sensors. The best workaround I've found is to set the sharpness to -1, and then selectively sharpen in post.

5. syncorswim

Thanks Chuck. It's looking like that might have to be the workflow or a noise reduction tool. It's a bit disappointing though. Hopefully this is addressed with future updates!

6. Chuck Lawson

Hopefully we'll see some firmware improvements over time. I shoot a lot around a lake, and the default sharpening tends to make all the sparkling small water highlights look like a swarm of bees.

Rainbowers likes this.
  7. syncorswim

Yeah fingers-crossed! Haha true, or like it's raining randomly! I'm going to do more tests and then run it through DaVinci Resolve to see if I can get rid if that pesky noise!

8. Cooper

Cooper Guest

9. Carlsberg

9 month old thread and you bring it to the top?
    Are you new here - lol?

10. Carlsberg

and then no link to where the software can be purchased and how uch?

11. Cooper

Cooper Guest

Yes, I am new here. Googled "Inspire grainy" and found this thread. Thought it might be helpful to those in it to use the plugin.

12. Cooper

Cooper Guest

Sorry, there is a link on the page to purchase. There are many options. Here is the purchase page:
    Neat Video :: purchase a license for Neat Video
    For the version I got (Premiere Pro and larger than HD coverage), it was $99.90. Hope that helps!

Moleyb likes this.
  13. SultanGris

If he started a new one someone would've bitched about him not using search, you can't win these things, lol

SkyLabs86, Moleyb and Cooper like this.