Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Great demo of X5 bitrate

Sorry, I am driving a Golf ;)
I'm comparing it to the GH4 the other 16mp mft camera.
And my primary use for it, would be stills.

Those videos look better than most. And more importantly, they look like they have a normal grade something that is rare on the X3/X5.

OK, a quick screen grab from X5 footage (Shot on DJI 15mm lens in MF at f/8 1/120 sec with 0.9 ND B+W filter in D-Log and Custom Style at -1, -1, -1. PNG taken off MBP.View attachment 4100

Note: the PNG is 8.4 MB. Image is very soft, but that's because of D-Log and style settings. Notice that shadows are fairly open and DR is much better than X3 could handle. Also pretty windy conditions.

I just ordered 3 B&W Filters for my X5,,,I'm told they weigh 14g...a little more than the X5 recommended specs. Have you had any issues using your B&W filter with the X5? Thanks!

A comparison with the GH4

The GH4 is the clear winner there.

I have the usual questions about focus on the X5 footage. But the main problem is that the angle and light for the GH4 footage is so different than that of the X3 and X5 footage. Is it just brighter from that angle? Or is the exposure set differently?

Currently the X5 is $430 more than the GH4 here in Norway.
Add the difference to a Zenmuse for the GH4 and a S900 setup is not that much more expensive.
And that is if you didn't already own a GH4...

Last edited:
Sorry, I am driving a Golf ;)
I'm comparing it to the GH4 the other 16mp mft camera.
And my primary use for it, would be stills.

I think this is where the X5 sensor is hands above the X3. I can't argue vs the GH4, but lots more DR and resolution, plus better low light IMHO.

That Golf isn't a diesel, is it? :eek:

Nono, its a gassy VR6 ;).

The similarities between the X5 and the GH4 chip are many, and nodoubt DJI could get more out of it. As they probably do in the "R" version. Considering the price, I don't think the X5 (on the clips I have seen until now) is worth the upgrade.

OK, a quick screen grab from X5 footage (Shot on DJI 15mm lens in MF at f/8 1/120 sec with 0.9 ND B+W filter in D-Log and Custom Style at -1, -1, -1. PNG taken off MBP.View attachment 4100

Note: the PNG is 8.4 MB. Image is very soft, but that's because of D-Log and style settings. Notice that shadows are fairly open and DR is much better than X3 could handle. Also pretty windy conditions.
Thanks Quadpilot. Very useful!

X5 appears soft like in so many other videos.
It may appear soft, but it needs to be understood why this is. It isn't necessarily for the reasons you may think. It is my understanding that the X5 is set with a very low/no digital edge enhancement by default. The GH4 on the other hand, unless you dial it down, comes with digital edge enhancement well and truly on making an impact on the picture. This difference is another reason why people have seen tests where the X3 looking uber sharp compared with the X5. It isn't an even comparison because the "sharpness" you are seeing is fake, added in by the camera processing.

Frankly I would rather have the harsh looking digital enhancement turned off, and then dial the sharpness back in in post. Especially on a camera like the X5. All that digital edge enhancement that other cameras apply sucks compression bandwidth, and so on a camera like the X3 and X5 it is better to maximise the bandwidth by dialling down the detail to minimum or off to help the compression system, and then add it back in later.

You are not losing picture detail by doing this. All the digital enhancement circuits do is emphasise detail that is already there giving the false impression that the picture is sharper. But as I say, doing having such functions turned on on a low bitrate camera eats compression bandwidth.

Hi Dave, hope you're well. Yup, I've done the dirty deed. It should be with me on Tuesday from Heliguy. I've spent far too many weeks doing nothing other than pixel peep! In the end I looked at some of the better footage and was completely objective and honest about things and decided there is a significant improvement in may areas for me to justify the purchase. I have to look at not just the video quality but also many other areas too. The stills capture is a big factor for me. The MFT sensor and higher pixel count will be a big bonus for architectural work: something I've been holding back on because I couldn't justify offering stills to clients with the current X3. Sure, I'll agree there are better cameras, but I think it's important to look at the whole package and not just one aspect. The ease of use with the app works brilliantly, the video downlink has been, 99% of the time, interference free over long distances. Many other things I love about the Inspire too. A major deciding factor has been the need for redundancy. Running a commercial business, only having one platform is not a good idea, so having two Inspires will offer us that extra bit of insurance that we have been missing.

On a different topic, do you offer post production? If so, how are your editing skills? I'm working on something big at the moment, not a production. Maybe you'd like to call for a chat sometime? Or I'll give you a shout in the week. BTW, do you now Alan Britten?
Howard,

Good points all around, and having a second aircraft was a big factor for me as well. The crash is going to come at some point, and I don't want to be standing there on a full day soot without the ability to get back up in the air quickly. The ability to interchange thecameras between the i1 and the i1-pro, made it a pretty easy choice, and the extra dynamic range and extended flexibility (and complexity...) that comes with more 'real' camera settings is nice. It definitely takes more work to capture great shots with the x5, but if you're serious about it...

pb

i have a inspire 1 pro and i cant figure out how everyone gets great video when mine is terrible.
is there going to be another update to the firmware? not getting help from dji or the forums. its like its a big secret. im having bad buyers remorse. anybody who is a pro at it want to buy mine?

i have a inspire 1 pro and i cant figure out how everyone gets great video when mine is terrible.
is there going to be another update to the firmware? not getting help from dji or the forums. its like its a big secret. im having bad buyers remorse. anybody who is a pro at it want to buy mine?
what seems to be the problem with your video? maybe it can be fixed as simply as changing a setting. shooting in the dark here.

Thanks for offering to help its the 4k don't look as good as 1080p. What im reading in other posts is that i need to keep re calibrating the lens until it looks good. going to give it a try this weekend and see if it fixes my problem.

Looks to me like the X5's a lemon! I have not seen one crisp in focus video yet! It sucks balls as I was really counting on this camera!

One post, and you're an expert? :rolleyes:
What does the number of posts have to do with anything.... Sigh. I arrived to this site in search for better reviews but its pretty consistent with what's been reported elsewhere. Lots of crappy video out there.

Bottom line all the videos I've seen look at are pretty bad compared to the x3 footage. Dull and washed out, out of focus. The only positive is the performance in low light.

In a couple of days my X5 will arrive and if anything of what has been posted all over the internet is an indicator, I'm sure to be quite disappointed. Until I try it I'll know for sure. I doubt everyone out there made the same mistake on the countless poor videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry