Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Guess they are certified then???

Totally agree - Neistat is a spoilt rich kid that doesn't care for his equipment or other peoples safety - only his PooTube ratings.
On the other hand of course what he is doing isn't strictly against US law since the FAA and the lawmakers have been glacially slow to keep up with technology and law.
In the UK, this type of flying is in breach of the Air Navigation Order which IS law.
Just saw his last post, flying his P4 Around Belfast! I think your right, unfortunately its going to take someone getting hurt/killed to wake some people up.

Neistat is like a lot of folks that treat the drone like any other toy and feel little need to learn about proper behavior or the rules. Hey, I bought it, it's mine, I can do as I wish. He is by no means alone in this mindset.

Brian

Reactions: Ikopta
You must admit though, the fact that this is really not good practice is completely overshadowed by the sheer beauty and obvious amount of time and effort that has gone into this production. The soulful music had me in tears towards the end...stunning. To do all that in one take is incredible!

#goingwiththesarcasmthere

Reactions: The Editor
You must admit though, the fact that this is really not good practice is completely overshadowed by the sheer beauty and obvious amount of time and effort that has gone into this production. The soulful music had me in tears towards the end...stunning. To do all that in one take is incredible!

#goingwiththesarcasmthere
I smell sarcasm........

Reactions: Nick Stubbs
this is the officil email to report such activity. I was given this by the CAA this week to report a similar illegal act [email protected]
Spookily enough, so was I. :)
They also said they had acted on my information and contacted the person I reported for dangerous flying.
It seems at last the beast maybe awakening and actually doing something!

Reactions: Ikopta
CAA has very strict rules for this. If it is an open air assembly of 1,000 people or more then a distance of 150m must be maintained.
Smaller gatherings currently allow for a distance of 50m (30m when taking off and landing) with sub 7kg aircraft. However, flying over the top of a crowd of people would be strictly prohibited and against the law.

Unless of course the group is all under the pilots control....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless of course the group is all under the pilots control....?

What pilot can control a crowd of 1000 or more people? And how?
You would need a lot of marshals and observers. Everybody under your control has to be aware of the risks and the safety procedures.

To get permission to fly over a crowd, the craft must be extra redundant and safe as possible, but at least N+ at least 1 (preferably 2) for engines, batteries, FC's. Extra GPS is also preferable (but only for the emergency RTH).

This does sound like a Matrice600 to me :)
(A company in the Netherlands sells a craft for >50.000 EURO that is supposed to be certified to fly over crowds and congested areas. Unfortunately some crashed because it only has 1 battery. They have some insurance claims that might end their business)

Only pro operators with such crafts, and a complete ground team to control all variables, and after submitting a full risk mitigation plan and proof of proper insurance, could obtain permission. Still, no one would be able to claim to have >1000 people under control. Not even a police force.

What pilot can control a crowd of 1000 or more people? And how?
You would need a lot of marshals and observers. Everybody under your control has to be aware of the risks and the safety procedures.

To get permission to fly over a crowd, the craft must be extra redundant and safe as possible, but at least N+ at least 1 (preferably 2) for engines, batteries, FC's. Extra GPS is also preferable (but only for the emergency RTH).

This does sound like a Matrice600 to me :)
(A company in the Netherlands sells a craft for >50.000 EURO that is supposed to be certified to fly over crowds and congested areas. Unfortunately some crashed because it only has 1 battery. They have some insurance claims that might end their business)

Only pro operators with such crafts, and a complete ground team to control all variables, and after submitting a full risk mitigation plan and proof of proper insurance, could obtain permission. Still, no one would be able to claim to have >1000 people under control. Not even a police force.

I was quoting the editors comments about smaller groups.... Over 1000 is illegal in ANY case....

But if you are doing a top shot of 12 ushers at a wedding - if they are all aware and looking up at the drone and they know to listen out for any issue the pilot has, then that's actually ok!!

What pilot can control a crowd of 1000 or more peopl

He wasn't flying himself but it was his I1 that was used on several shows, only meters from a >20000 people crowd. Fortunately the only accident that made the press was himself cutting his hand after hugging his hovering craft on stage. But in fact, he had the crowd under a form of control, from stage, every soul in the crowd was looking and listening to him.....I don't think he briefed his audience about the risks of his drone usage though.
6182904.jpeg

Last edited:
I was quoting the editors comments about smaller groups.... Over 1000 is illegal in ANY case....

But if you are doing a top shot of 12 ushers at a wedding - if they are all aware and looking up at the drone and they know to listen out for any issue the pilot has, then that's actually ok!!

50 meter minimum distance. 'Under Control' is only applicable for professional operations.

Yep professional operation is what I'm suggesting and have...
Totally cool then!

Lot's of people just simply have no idea what they're doing, that why I post these replies.
You should mention in your signature that you're certified for commercial operations.
I would have used a even more rethorical tone :)

Reactions: andrew259
Totally cool then!

Lot's of people just simply have no idea what they're doing, that why I post these replies.
You should mention in your signature that you're certified for commercial operations.
I would have used a even more rethorical tone :)

DONE!!! :)

PFAW holder
BNUC pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah